Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis, Lambster

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: M140i stolen in 30 seconds

Post by dailydoggy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 pm

I think the violent Pro gangs go for the big ticket cars like M cars, RS cars and swanky urban tractors, not 1 and 2 series Mlites from what i have seen...
340BHP, manual shift ,£140 tax!!Got wood! :drive:

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Dazzles wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:04 pm
Not sure my faraday pouches were worth buying. With the key in the drivers doorwell and the door open, the car wont start. Must have a range of about 3ft.
They definitely do work as I've tested mine right up to the door and by using the buttons but the key must be in the metalised compartment and you need to make sure your spare key is also protected.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

Pubbie
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Pubbie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:54 pm

dailydoggy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 pm
I think the violent Pro gangs go for the big ticket cars like M cars, RS cars and swanky urban tractors, not 1 and 2 series Mlites from what i have seen...
The other threads suggests they get nicked a lot too. Of course, this is in context - in Britain every kind of crime has rocketed in the last 12-18 months, car crime in particular (up 50%). Basically whatever you drive, and wherever you live, and i speak from a lot of experience, you're going to get it at some point. 1 series diesels, old Audi A6s, anything SUV, on your drive, in your garage, out on the street... they'll all go.

dailydoggy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dailydoggy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Pubbie wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:54 pm
dailydoggy wrote:
The other threads suggests they get nicked a lot too. Of course, this is in context - in Britain every kind of crime has rocketed in the last 12-18 months, car crime in particular (up 50%). Basically whatever you drive, and wherever you live, and i speak from a lot of experience, you're going to get it at some point. 1 series diesels, old Audi A6s, anything SUV, on your drive, in your garage, out on the street... they'll all go.
I think Mlites are nicked by more opportunist rob dogs rather than the real pro gangs, they are out to steal and or looking for easy keys to take the car aswell, or just easy keys cars without confrontation after all there is plentiful supply of such cars so why risk the violence and trouble?...

Just a thought but if you leave ya keys out on show then it is deffo gonna get nicked anyway with a break in by anybody or any kind of none violent or none confrontational standard tea leaf..
340BHP, manual shift ,£140 tax!!Got wood! :drive:

racey1979
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by racey1979 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:11 pm

dailydoggy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:04 pm
Pubbie wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:54 pm
dailydoggy wrote:
I think Mlites are nicked by more opportunist rob dogs rather than the real pro gangs, they are out to steal and or looking for easy keys to take the car aswell, or just easy keys cars without confrontation after all there is plentiful supply of such cars so why risk the violence and trouble?...

Just a thought but if you leave ya keys out on show then it is deffo gonna get nicked anyway with a break in by anybody or any kind of none violent or none confrontational standard tea leaf..
This was the exact debate I had with Sky Insurance when I rang them for an insurance quote. Whilst they were fairly competitive they would only insure me if I had an approved OBD protection device fitted. I mentioned Autowatch Ghost but that’s not approved, they said it would need to be an OBD Portector. I pointed out that this device does naff all because m lites are not targets of the more sophisticated scumbags with laptops....they are targeted by scumbags looking to snap locks or smash windows etc in order to gain access to your property and get hold of the keys....rendering the OBD Portector useless. They weren’t interested and I went elsewhere.
F22 67 M240i MG, Coral, Birds B2, MP Kit, HK, Pro Media
E91 59 335d Space Grey Emaps 350 BHP 710 nm (hers)
E46 02 325ti Compact - Sold
E46 01 330ci Coupe - Sold
Renault Clio 16 Valve
Citroen AX GTI - Saxo VTS Engined Money Pit - “Gone” :wink:

burnthefires

Post by burnthefires » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:08 am

Guys, there's one important thing no one seems to mention here: All new BMW key fobs with CA are deactivated after 10 minutes without movement, so it's fine to put them anywhere you like at home. And IIRC you can retrofit that option in older F20 etc. for a few quid at your dealer's so it would be a nice thing to check if Britain is that troubled with car thieves right now. Although I'm still wondering where are all the RHD cars going, here in continental Europe they're stolen mainly to disappear in Russia or Ukraine, but in UK? For parts?

Also I would still love a system like that one in VW right now, double clicking the lock button on a key fob disables the Keyless entry so you're covered even at the mall for example(the BMW key still transmits a signal since you're moving).

Pubbie
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Pubbie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:08 pm

burnthefires wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:08 am
Guys, there's one important thing no one seems to mention here: All new BMW key fobs with CA are deactivated after 10 minutes without movement, so it's fine to put them anywhere you like at home. And IIRC you can retrofit that option in older F20 etc. for a few quid at your dealer's so it would be a nice thing to check if Britain is that troubled with car thieves right now. Although I'm still wondering where are all the RHD cars going, here in continental Europe they're stolen mainly to disappear in Russia or Ukraine, but in UK? For parts?
Parts, ram-raiding, and wholesale to Albania etc where they may ot may be converted to LHD. I guess the Adriatic is full of RHD dashboards :)

Car crime was fairly high in the UK until 2016 or so and then it went up 50%. No one cares; most cars are leased, they're all insured, and the police are too busy with social media.

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:17 pm

burnthefires wrote:

Also I would still love a system like that one in VW right now, double clicking the lock button on a key fob disables the Keyless entry so you're covered even at the mall for example(the BMW key still transmits a signal since you're moving).
When you say "all", what do you mean?

I suspect you mean all after a certain date?

....and when you say a "few quid" do we know how many actual quids is that in reality beacuse I thought replacement key fobs were in the £00s?
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

BigSwede
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by BigSwede » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:58 am

For those with comfort access who are worried about it, you can easily unplug the module as I is mounted under the boot floor near the battery when you lift the boot flap.

You could easily unplug it when you get home with the car should you so desire.

burnthefires

Post by burnthefires » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 pm

GeeDee wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:17 pm
burnthefires wrote:

When you say "all", what do you mean?

I suspect you mean all after a certain date?

....and when you say a "few quid" do we know how many actual quids is that in reality beacuse I thought replacement key fobs were in the £00s?
Of course after a certain date, but it's definitely possible for an F20 or F30 LCI, or at least that's what I read on bimmerpost. About the "few quid"- all I know is that dealers(or even an importer, prolly depends on a country) participate in costs, that's why I said "few quid", and it's definitely just a cost of replacing and recoding your key fobs since only they need the updated hardware. Even without the cost participation I think replacing key fobs is a fair price for such solution - they'd have to scan your key while you're walking e.g. in a shopping center or within the 10 minutes after you put them down at home.

It's best to ask your dealer/importer yourself. I'm lucky enough that mine has it already installed from factory so haven't explored the topic too much.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”