MOT - M135i Catless Downpipe

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

Cunning

MOT - M135i Catless Downpipe

Post by Cunning » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:38 pm

Hoping someone can help!

I have my UK over in Belgium, where I spend most of my time working. It's a 2014 M135i, recently had a custom stage 2 tune and installed a Wagner Catless Downpipe.

I have my MOT coming up at the end of March, my plan is to take the channel tunnel and get it tested somewhere not too far from Folkestone. My worry is that I will fail the emissions test. I have read a number of forum posts that talk about making sure to give the car a good thrashing the day before and make sure the engine is hot before the test, however as I understand there are no secondary cats in the N55 engine, they are all included in the downpipe, so with a catless downpipe you have no cats and will basically guaranteed fail the MOT?

If anyone knows of a friendly MOT place somewhere in the South East, ideally near Folkestone that might let this go, that would be a massive help.

Otherwise do I really need to swap out the downpipe every year for MOT?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: MOT - M135i Catless Downpipe

Post by marco_polo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Guaranteed fail, refit the factory Cat, or a Sports Cat for a legal fit and forget solution.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

JonyTarvis
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by JonyTarvis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Unless you personally know an MOT tester as a close friend who’d be willing to risk his career and turn a blind eye. Which I assume you don’t and hence your OP; your only real option is to do what Marco has stated above.
All the best.
Present: F32 430d / Past: E86 3.0si, E82 120d

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:43 pm

On a peripheral note it does appear you are probably "illegal" in Belgium.

Its a ruddy nightmare. When I lived in both UK and Brussels I was required to register the car in blg after 6 months (i was back and forth most weeks).

The problem then would be I couldn't drive it in the UK. Because it was

a) theoretically illegal as a UK resident
b) HMRC had power of seizure
c) Vosaalso had power of seizure because it needed reregistering sunce the temipory import rules didnt apply.

Naturally I didn't bother registering it in BLG but that then stuffed up unsurance and the fiscal police could potentially have a field day.

The best answer I could get was "don't get caught". :lol:
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

Cunning

Post by Cunning » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Thanks for the responses, confirming my fears really!

Is there any issues running a Stage 2 tune on a standard downpipe?

Regarding the Belgium legality thing, what a bureaucratic country haha, it's crazy! Luckily I travel around Europe quite alot, so the car is never in one country for too long, I am also resident in the UK. I have a special insurance policy which deals exactly with this, it wasn't easy to find, and certainly wasn't cheap.

Seems that returning the M135i to standard is probably the simple fix, sad face.......

Thanks!

JDK20_M135i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by JDK20_M135i » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Cunning wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:13 pm
Thanks for the responses, confirming my fears really!

Is there any issues running a Stage 2 tune on a standard downpipe?

Regarding the Belgium legality thing, what a bureaucratic country haha, it's crazy! Luckily I travel around Europe quite alot, so the car is never in one country for too long, I am also resident in the UK. I have a special insurance policy which deals exactly with this, it wasn't easy to find, and certainly wasn't cheap.

Seems that returning the M135i to standard is probably the simple fix, sad face.......

Thanks!
You can't run Stage 2 with standard downpipe. You'll have to remove map as well. It'd be easier to find a garage that will do it with the catless downpipe on than it would be to go back standard, nowadays everywhere does it....you could just drive around a few places & ask. I did that a few times until I was able to find somewhere that did it & didn't have an issue doing it. I am sure someone on this forum will know somewhere down there that will be able to do it for you, everyone acts like they're law abiding citizens but I am sure there are a lot of people in this forum with catless downpipes that get their MOT done dodgely.

Good luck mate. Definitely the way I would go.
BMW M135i - Glacier Silver, Auto, Red Leather, Pro Nav, HK, Sunroof, Front & Rear PDC, Heated & Electric Memory Seats, LSD, Motech Performance Eibach Springs & Carbon Spoiler.

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm

The annoying thing about the Belgian registration requirement is it is not related to the car. It is related to you. Once you have been there 6 month they want you to register the car (and pay the VAT). It's the weirdest system.

Most of the guys I knew used to incorporate in Lux and use that to register their vehicles but thays been a no no for some time.
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

Autosri
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Autosri » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm

To get a proper mot you will need a cat in there to pass
You would be better to fit the cat in the uk as that way you can still give it some stick on the way home

The map will be fine aslong as you stay out of boost/full throttle

st3v3
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by st3v3 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm

you could fit a sports cat if you still want the map, but it would have to be something like a 200cel or at a push 100cel (don't quote me on the latter)

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by TeenWolf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 am

Simple really. Don't fit an illegal catless downpipe.

What does your special insurance say about your mods and the illegal downpipe?

JDK20_M135i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by JDK20_M135i » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:32 am

TeenWolf wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 am

Bet your a lot of fun at a party aren't you :lol:
BMW M135i - Glacier Silver, Auto, Red Leather, Pro Nav, HK, Sunroof, Front & Rear PDC, Heated & Electric Memory Seats, LSD, Motech Performance Eibach Springs & Carbon Spoiler.

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 am

TeenWolf wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 am

It may have changed with the MOT changes in April if the changes were migrated into various pieces of primary legislation ....

But there was no specific offence commited by removing a cat.

It may (almost certainly will) fail an emissions test which is an offence of course.

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 am

JDK20_M135i wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 pm
everyone acts like they're law abiding citizens
Mostly we are. And if there is anyone stupid enough, they dont say it publicly.
JDK20_M135i wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:32 am
Bet your a lot of fun at a party aren't you
Why did you have to comment? That was completely unnecessary. Keep those kind of opinions to yourself.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Gone (East), but apparently not forgotten.

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”