Baby BMW Forum banner

Remove rear seats m240i

902 views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  marco_polo 
#1 ·
Hi All

New to the forum

So i had a total battery failure on my M240i (my neighbour works at local BMW dealer and plugged in diagnositc tool)so there is no way to access the boot to remove the old battery using the key fob, using charger packs etc... didnt work as the battery is in such a bad state it wont hold any charge.

Ive seen similar problems online and it appears the only way to get into the boot is by taking out the back seats.

The bottom and side portions were easy they just clipped off, im having trouble with the back of the seats, there are two Torx screws, one either side but the seat just doesnt seem to budge.

Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the back seats?

cheers in advance

#3 ·
Hi Marco

Thanks fot your reply

We have tried multiple charger packs and also left it hooked up to a mains charger for several hours. The battery appears to be in such bad condition that non of the electrics work even after attempting to charge the battery using the charging points under the bonnet.

#5 ·
I've had someone accidentally shut the boot whilst I was changing my steering wheel. It's an absolute pain to get the back seats out and still you'd struggle to reach the emergency boot release.

I literally jumped the car as Marco said whilst holding the "boot open" button on the key fob.

#8 ·
I was traveling from london to Glasgow on saturday. after my third pit stop at Gretna i went to open the car and the fob wouldnt work, so i opened the door manually and nothing electriclly would work.

A helpful local with a booster pack attached to the car that allowed me to open the doors and start the car but i was having multiple electrical issues.

The windows wouldnt work
was getting brake pressure warnings and Brake light module error even though both worked
The car would also throw up randoms errors such as bonnet open.

when i got home i left the car till Monday and my neighbour who works at BMW plugged in diagnostic computer and confirmed the battery has failed and due to this it was throwing up lots of sensor issues. He came after work last night to fit the battery and thats when we found out we had no way of opening the boot.

I have also called the BMW branch i got the car from and everyone is scratching their heads with no idea what the issue is or how to get into the boot.

#13 ·
Perhaps more likely alternator failure than battery failure from what you've said - same symptoms, flat battery. Though an external battery charger should charge it, and jumping it to another good battery, or another car, should enable the electrics to activate and the boot to open etc.

--

#14 ·
We have tried 3 charger packs, 2 different cars as a jump and a mains battery charger and nothing is giving it enough power to start the car or open the boot.

When the lad from BMW put on the diagnostic tool he confirmed its definitley the battery. It does ound like with the battery going its thrown up some other electrical issue possibly sensor issues and thats why the key fob isnt working.

I have read other threads and the only solutions are going in through the back seats or getting a technican to send a signal via wires in the glove box to open the boot.

No doubt due to BMWs design stupidity, a simple fault is going to cost me an absolute fortune to fix

#15 ·
50pence said:
Perhaps more likely alternator failure than battery failure from what you've said - same symptoms, flat battery. Though an external battery charger should charge it, and jumping it to another good battery, or another car, should enable the electrics to activate and the boot to open etc.

I was able to drive from Gretna to Glasgow on Saturday once i got the car going.
--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.