Fuel Economy

Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

User avatar
new666uk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:51 pm
Location: Lancashire UK

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by new666uk » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:30 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
ste111 wrote:
DrewMsport wrote:My mpg seems to be going down? I do the same drive everyday for work, 94 mile roundtrip, and i was getting 60mpg to start and about 580 fill to fill on the trip computer as i reset every time i fill up. Which with personal mileage ment aswell as work trip one tank was doing me 7 days amd have been happily in a routine of filling up every friday on way home from an early finish. This tank however ive managed 460miles, but it has been steadily dropping the past few weeks down to 550, 520, 500 etc but this 460 seems rather bad. I could get 400-420 out of my civic type r fn2, 2.0l petrol. Anyone have an explanation for this? I thought as engines bed in they were supposed to get better? I now have 22k on and my best mpg results were at 15k. I certainly hope this hasnt settled into its lifetime range now.
I appreciate it wouldn't account for this much of a difference especially as you're doing long journeys but the cold weather can noticeably reduce you miles per tank due to extended warm up times (and possibly the increased power output in really cold conditions). In the old tdi i think it probably wasn't far off about a loss of 5mpg so around 10% and that was on longer journeys in summer v winter
+1, the cold weather has a huge impact on MPG.

Engine takes longer to warm up, tyres take longer to warm up and the fact the air is colder means the engine should be producing more power - colder air = more power.

All these factors will hit your MPG in winter, but also improve performance!! ;)

My old 120d used to drop from averaging 37-40mpg in summer to about 32mpg in winter.

My M240 is currently doing about 16mpg around town, 33mpg on a run.

Also, have you recently changed tyres? I noticed a drop moving from my summer to winter set but not overly significant. Lifetime MPG reading drops 0.1 on the winters then returns to an indicated 29mpg on summers. Manually calculating that's more like 27 - 31 mpg tank to tank.
F21 M135i 3dr auto. Estoril blue, black leather.

Previously:
e46 330Ci M-Sport. Coupe, Imola red with black leather
e36 325iA SE with Alpina trim. Coupe, Black (met) with black leather
e36 325iA SE. Coupe, Lagoon green (met) with cream leather.

DrewMsport
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by DrewMsport » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:33 pm

new666uk wrote:
OneTwenty wrote:
ste111 wrote:
I appreciate it wouldn't account for this much of a difference especially as you're doing long journeys but the cold weather can noticeably reduce you miles per tank due to extended warm up times (and possibly the increased power output in really cold conditions). In the old tdi i think it probably wasn't far off about a loss of 5mpg so around 10% and that was on longer journeys in summer v winter
+1, the cold weather has a huge impact on MPG.

Engine takes longer to warm up, tyres take longer to warm up and the fact the air is colder means the engine should be producing more power - colder air = more power.

All these factors will hit your MPG in winter, but also improve performance!! ;)

My old 120d used to drop from averaging 37-40mpg in summer to about 32mpg in winter.

My M240 is currently doing about 16mpg around town, 33mpg on a run.

Also, have you recently changed tyres? I noticed a drop moving from my summer to winter set but not overly significant. Lifetime MPG reading drops 0.1 on the winters then returns to an indicated 29mpg on summers. Manually calculating that's more like 27 - 31 mpg tank to tank.
Ive just changed them 2day. Put the winter steels on with continentals winters.
2013 '63' 116d M sport, Alpine white, **SPAM** pack, Comfort Pack, LED lighting pack, Business Nav, Alcantara.

Previous- 92' XR2i, 98' 325, 98' Escort GTI, 99' MR2 GT, 02' Civic Type R, 04' S2000, 06' Civic Type R, 56' RX8 Prodrive, 57' Civic Type R

DannyBDJ
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by DannyBDJ » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:23 am

So without me having to read every page, what do people seem to be getting from the 140i with mixed driving?

I'm hoping to test drive one tomorrow and maybe place an order.
Black Pre-LCI F20 M135i

itguy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by itguy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:43 am

DannyBDJ wrote:So without me having to read every page, what do people seem to be getting from the 140i with mixed driving?

I'm hoping to test drive one tomorrow and maybe place an order.
depends how heavy your foot is, but...

my 25 mile mixed commute approx 36 mpg

motorway long journey at legal limit 42 mpg

short run through town 25 ish

pressing on, under 20
2016 M140i 5dr Auto, delivered BW41 - Mineral Grey, Coral Red Leather, Sun Protection Glass, Heated Wheel+Seats, Folding Mirrors, Pro Nav, Speed Display, HK, Comfort Access, Lumber, Adaptive Susp, Adaptive LEDs, Sunroof, Driver Comfort Pack inc Front PDC.

TALBOTL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by TALBOTL » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Without sounding like an arse whilst I appreciate the every increasing cost of fuel as much as the next man, plus I understand it's nice to get good economy when you want t.
Why do so many people look at MPG before anything else these days even when buying performance cars. A bloke in the pub was moaning because he only gets early 20s on a run in a C63!!! What dud you expect it's a 6.2 V8 that weighs more than a small planet! Likewise I'd seen a post the other day that somebody felt conned because they weren't getting the claimed figures out of their new M4. I just wanted to punch him so hard!

I refer back to my first point about fuel cost and it being nice to be able to get good mpg, but for ffs understand what you have under your right foot and drive the sodding things.
2010 Space Grey '123d' - gone but not forgotten
2011 Audi TT TFSI APR - Sorry

User avatar
Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 11000
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: South East Kent

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by Twenny » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:45 pm

TALBOTL wrote:Without sounding like an arse whilst I appreciate the every increasing cost of fuel as much as the next man, plus I understand it's nice to get good economy when you want t.
Why do so many people look at MPG before anything else these days even when buying performance cars. A bloke in the pub was moaning because he only gets early 20s on a run in a C63!!! What dud you expect it's a 6.2 V8 that weighs more than a small planet! Likewise I'd seen a post the other day that somebody felt conned because they weren't getting the claimed figures out of their new M4. I just wanted to punch him so hard!

I refer back to my first point about fuel cost and it being nice to be able to get good mpg, but for ffs understand what you have under your right foot and drive the sodding things.
HA EXACTLY!!!! AMEN.

HERE ENDETH THE LESSON.

(Await Kerr to respond with some inciteful anecdote about the importance of fuel and economy blah blah yawn)




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1896
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:51 pm

1650 miles in I'm getting 22mpg always drive in sports, with a slightly heavy right foot. I blame the sound of the engine wanting you to push it. I spent 60 pounds on fuel on Friday gone on Sunday, for the smiles and fun it brings I can't complain.
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3392
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by Kerr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Twenny wrote:
HA EXACTLY!!!! AMEN.

HERE ENDETH THE LESSON.

(Await Kerr to respond with some inciteful anecdote about the importance of fuel and economy blah blah yawn)




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again?

What's your beef that you want to make even more snide little childish comments in a thread I wasn't even part of?

I'm far from the only person on this forum that considers fuel economy. So why try to stir up an issue with me again? Why not use your keyboard to have a go at half of the forum?

User avatar
Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 11000
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: South East Kent

Fuel Economy

Post by Twenny » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:21 pm

Kerr wrote:
Twenny wrote:
HA EXACTLY!!!! AMEN.

HERE ENDETH THE LESSON.

(Await Kerr to respond with some inciteful anecdote about the importance of fuel and economy blah blah yawn)




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again?

What's your beef that you want to make even more snide little childish comments in a thread I wasn't even part of?

I'm far from the only person on this forum that considers fuel economy. So why try to stir up an issue with me again? Why not use your keyboard to have a go at half of the forum?
Awe come now Kerr I was just playing mate no need to go all menstrual on me.

If I've hit a nerve I apologise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3392
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by Kerr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Twenny wrote:
Kerr wrote:
Twenny wrote:
HA EXACTLY!!!! AMEN.

HERE ENDETH THE LESSON.

(Await Kerr to respond with some inciteful anecdote about the importance of fuel and economy blah blah yawn)




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again?

What's your beef that you want to make even more snide little childish comments in a thread I wasn't even part of?

I'm far from the only person on this forum that considers fuel economy. So why try to stir up an issue with me again? Why not use your keyboard to have a go at half of the forum?
Awe come now Kerr I was just playing mate no need to go all menstrual on me.

If I've hit a nerve I apologise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a bit too old to get upset with people and comments on the internet. It's only you pesky teenagers that take it so seriously.

I just thought it was a bit odd after your outburst the other week you'd want to go there for another visit. Nothing worse than someone holding a grudge over the Internet. Anyway, we better let those concerned about fuel economy get the post count and the viewing numbers up for this thread.

Johnnyo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:31 pm
Location: Up north

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by Johnnyo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:53 pm

It's a 335bhp 3.0litre petrol turbo - mixed driving people are getting 30-35mpg average... That fantastic. Even at 25mpg given the performance pretty good!

I will shortly be ordering one of these (M140i) and putting on 30,000-35,000 miles per year.. - mostly business so cost covered off. A good proportion will be sat on the motorway (at steady speed as I know if I flex my right ankle I'm off - and smug in that knowledge), and when having a blast around a or B roads I can have fun (without the security of 4x4 or massively nannying traction control) and expect mpg to be less.

In my view people should be rightly amazed at the fuel economy in a good way...
2017 Petrol - many galloping horses.. Intergalactic miles....
2014 Dirty White 120d sport auto - brilliant but gone to help save the planet from diesel....

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by TeenWolf » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am

Have people noticed any changes since the new PPF filters?
I'm around 2 weeks away from picking mine up and going by this thread could see anywhere from 25-40mpg depending on driving styles of course.

For me can I expect 30mpg for 20miles of A and b roads followed by 45 miles of motorway?

I'm hoping the motorway will recoup the fuel im going to smash for the 20 miles of fun before 😉

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2650
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 am

TeenWolf wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am
Have people noticed any changes since the new PPF filters?
I'm around 2 weeks away from picking mine up and going by this thread could see anywhere from 25-40mpg depending on driving styles of course.

For me can I expect 30mpg for 20miles of A and b roads followed by 45 miles of motorway?

I'm hoping the motorway will recoup the fuel im going to smash for the 20 miles of fun before 😉
You'll have no problem doing that. Even if you gave it some stick on the A & B roads then cruised on the motorway at 70 you should see easily 36mpg+ in my experience.

They are only questionable on fuel when driving round town and giving it a few spurts away from junctions etc but even then 22mpg is the minimum on average.

Even doing all A & B roads for 50 miles without keeping an eye on MPG I can achieve 33mpg in mine. On a pure long motorway run, but still with a few full throttle blasts I get 40-42mpg in mine without problem.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

richbeech
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by richbeech » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:35 pm

TeenWolf wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am
Have people noticed any changes since the new PPF filters?
I'm around 2 weeks away from picking mine up and going by this thread could see anywhere from 25-40mpg depending on driving styles of course.

For me can I expect 30mpg for 20miles of A and b roads followed by 45 miles of motorway?

I'm hoping the motorway will recoup the fuel im going to smash for the 20 miles of fun before 😉
I've had my M140 for a month now and so far my overall average is 34.

On my commute to work (Stoke to Derby) down the A50, I'm in no rush so have it in Eco most of the way and today I managed to avg 46mpg! I find that astonishing, especially given it's winter. I've become quite good at efficient driving over the years and I bet I could get close to 50mpg in the summer. Not that I bought it to get good mpg of course, I can comfortably afford to run the car. The way I see it though, driving it steady in the week gives me a few extra miles of driving it hard at the weekend to balance it out hence my overall avg is 34.

When you really open it up then yea don't expect to get much more than double digits.

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Re: Fuel Economy

Post by TeenWolf » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 am
TeenWolf wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am
Have people noticed any changes since the new PPF filters?
I'm around 2 weeks away from picking mine up and going by this thread could see anywhere from 25-40mpg depending on driving styles of course.

For me can I expect 30mpg for 20miles of A and b roads followed by 45 miles of motorway?

I'm hoping the motorway will recoup the fuel im going to smash for the 20 miles of fun before 😉
You'll have no problem doing that. Even if you gave it some stick on the A & B roads then cruised on the motorway at 70 you should see easily 36mpg+ in my experience.

They are only questionable on fuel when driving round town and giving it a few spurts away from junctions etc but even then 22mpg is the minimum on average.

Even doing all A & B roads for 50 miles without keeping an eye on MPG I can achieve 33mpg in mine. On a pure long motorway run, but still with a few full throttle blasts I get 40-42mpg in mine without problem.
Awesome cheers

Post Reply

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”