Baby BMW Forum banner

Fuel Economy

11K views 90 replies 54 participants last post by  TeenWolf 
#1 ·
From a full tank I'm getting around 380 miles. A mix of local and motorway driving and it's been in Eco pro all the way.
The only reason I opted for a diesel was economy or I would have gotten an m140i

Since collecting the car on September 1st I've nearly gone through 3 full tanks.
Anyone getting similar mileage. BTW it's a 125D Msport sports-auto!

#7 ·
There is quite a bit of discussion about the improvements on the M140i MPG vs the M135i MPG - with many reporting up to 40 mpg on a run now in the 140. (obviously N55 going to B58 engine).

Interesting that the diesels going to the B engines seem to be worse??? I wonder why?

#8 ·
I think a lot of the reason people are reporting great mpg on the m*40i's is because they are pootling around running them in.

They will soon be reporting mid 20's once they start booting it. :lol2:

My manual m135i will do between 35-40mpg taking it very steady. But more like 25-27 when using all the power.

As a side note my JCW never did more than 31 even on a run and that was basically the same engine with two cylinders lopped off. It had crazy torque from almost idle to 4K but nothing much past it ( much like a diesel)

#11 ·
dieselduck said:
There is no way a 40i will be AVERAGING 40mpg, if so you really bought the wrong car :D
The only time I have managed to beat 40mpg on a run in my M135i is during extended runs in 50mph average speed camera zones. During more normal motorway driving you will see something mid 30s. Don't bother with Eco Pro in the Mx35/40. I have found comfort gets me the same economy on the motorway and has the bonus of the car not feeling like it is broken!

#12 ·
650 to a tank from my 116d in comfort and sport, never use eco and thats mix of motorway and windy welsh a roads up and down hill sections.

#13 ·
A few weeks ago I was driving from my home in Watford to Newcastle on the M1/M18/A1. With cruise control set to 50 mph and the air-con switched off when I got to the end of the M18 - a distance of about 140 miles the OBC was showing just under 80 mpg and that includes a cold start at Watford and 2 stops at motorway service stations.
Shows what a difference speed makes to fuel economy.

#15 ·
Octavius said:
For some reason my fuel economy vastly improves when my wife is in the passenger seat.
Haha! Incredible how much I can relate to this ^

#16 ·
Slightly off topic, does anyone have a 116D ED Plus, if so what sort of MPG are you realistically achieving? I've only had mine 3 days. The 83MPG headline figure is what made me go for it.

#17 ·
Zeb84 said:
Slightly off topic, does anyone have a 116D ED Plus, if so what sort of MPG are you realistically achieving? I've only had mine 3 days. The 83MPG headline figure is what made me go for it.
You won't average 83mpg.

Very few cars get near the laboratory tested figures in the real world. I'd say if you average 60mpg you're doing well.

#20 ·
:eek2: I would say a lot of the MPG figures listed are quite good.

I appreciate the comparison between urban environments and London traffic is different, but 2000 miles in and my consumption in the M135i is always sat at 18-19.

Don't be fooled by this near diesel MPG talk on the 3.0 petrols. In town economy is crap and the only time I've seen mid 30's + was on the M3 (average speed) for a few miles. Apart from that, on the open road I rarely if ever get past 28-30!

Most engines whether they are petrol or diesel are not great in town, but the difference between 35-40 MPG on an open road in the M135i is that you're going 50 MPH on cruise control, whereas you could be going a lot faster and enjoying the poke in a diesel to get that same number.

Admittedly I make good use of the power, I bought it for that and the MPG is a secondary factor.

#21 ·
Carpentier1 said:
:eek2: I would say a lot of the MPG figures listed are quite good.

I appreciate the comparison between urban environments and London traffic is different, but 2000 miles in and my consumption in the M135i is always sat at 18-19.

Don't be fooled by this near diesel MPG talk on the 3.0 petrols. In town economy is crap and the only time I've seen mid 30's + was on the M3 (average speed) for a few miles. Apart from that, on the open road I rarely if ever get past 28-30!

Most engines whether they are petrol or diesel are not great in town, but the difference between 35-40 MPG on an open road in the M135i is that you're going 50 MPH on cruise control, whereas you could be going a lot faster and enjoying the poke in a diesel to get that same number.

Admittedly I make good use of the power, I bought it for that and the MPG is a secondary factor.
Thanks for your reply :)

Aye, MPG isn't a big factor in my choice of new car certainly. It's purely me trying to base my decision on actual facts that benefit the decision to change my car. I'm certainly not expecting the quoted figures, more 26-30 mixed is what I'd hope for / expect in an M140i.

The whole reason I got my ST 2.5 years ago was to enjoy, not sit around pootling down country roads like little miss daily. :lol2:

The baby BMW is certainly on my list for my next car. Struggling to find a car with equal performance / such a characterful engine for the money...

#22 ·
Sounds like the M140i will be perfect for you. Honestly, it's amazing car, such a hoot and it's nice to know that it's feasibly possible to get mid 30's - even if I don't take advantage of it! :evil: :evil: :bigsmile:

-----
Thanks for your reply :)

Aye, MPG isn't a big factor in my choice of new car certainly. It's purely me trying to base my decision on actual facts that benefit the decision to change my car. I'm certainly not expecting the quoted figures, more 26-30 mixed is what I'd hope for / expect in an M140i.

The whole reason I got my ST 2.5 years ago was to enjoy, not sit around pootling down country roads like little miss daily. :lol2:

The baby BMW is certainly on my list for my next car. Struggling to find a car with equal performance / such a characterful engine for the money...[/quote]

#25 ·
Initially SWMBO had been getting an average of between 39 - 41 from November 2014 to June this year on our 218d Active Tourer but when we drove up to Cheshire from Dorset I'd amended the setting and found we'd got 53.4 mpg travelling A31, M3, A34, M40, M42 and M6 in both directions. I've never thought for a minute we'd achieve BMW advertised figures for obvious reason but needless to add I was delighted with it especially as I don't hang about at any time when I can boot it I do so and this was in "Comfort" mode all the time. I've no doubt it would have been better using "Snail" but I've never bothered with that since we've had the car.

dorsetred :cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.