Smart watches

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

barneyrubble
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Smart watches

Post by barneyrubble » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 am

Funnily enough - i prefer the look of the apple watch.

I've been looking for an Android watch with the same form factor but there doesn't seem to be one - at least within what I want to spend anyway.

The apple watch works superbly connected to the iphone. I just don't want an iphone as my main phone.
If it's got breasts or wheels - it's going to give you trouble

Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

Matthaus
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Matthaus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 am

I have a Tag Heuer Connected 45 and absolutely love it, and a Garmin 745xt for running as well

Previously I have had a Huawei a Moto and a Pebble

I would suggest looking at the Ticwatch if you want something fairly cheap and Android based - they look good value and have lots of styles

I like my watches round, not a fan of the postage stamp Apple watches, they look odd and small especially on men
BMW 135i Coupe - Sold
BMW M240i Coupe - Finally arrived!

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:11 am

Matthaus wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 am
I have a Tag Heuer Connected 45 and absolutely love it, and a Garmin 745xt for running as well
I nearly went for the Tag as it looks great, but it's swimming capabilities (which I wanted primarily) aren't as good as Garmin which I went for. It's a shame as the Garmin's screen (Fenix 5) isn't particular high res and looks a bit "yesterdays technology".
2017 M140i

mouse140i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mouse140i » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:18 am

Ask yourself why you want one and what you’d use it for.

Mine is used for fitness tracking and alerting.

My phone is on silent nearly all the time yet I rarely miss anything such as calls, messages or notifications.

I’m also using the watch for contactless payments a lot now there are a lot more terminals accepting it.

barneyrubble

Post by barneyrubble » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 am

I use my watch for commuting as well to pay via contactless. I rarely get my bank card out nowadays unless it's over £30

Some places like B&Q are not contactless though so you can find yourself caught out. I find the majority are though.

barneyrubble

Post by barneyrubble » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:58 am

Barney McGrew wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:11 am
Matthaus wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 am
I nearly went for the Tag as it looks great, but it's swimming capabilities (which I wanted primarily) aren't as good as Garmin which I went for. It's a shame as the Garmin's screen (Fenix 5) isn't particular high res and looks a bit "yesterdays technology".
The tag looks like a great bit of kit but I'm not sure I want to be paying £1500 for a watch that will need upgrading in a few years. Does look lovely though

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:57 pm

barneyrubble wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:58 am
The tag looks like a great bit of kit but I'm not sure I want to be paying £1500 for a watch that will need upgrading in a few years. Does look lovely though
That was also part of the consideration I thought. Apparently once outdated you can have a standard swiss mechanism put in it so it becomes a regular Tag watch, but I have already have a Tag so thought there wouldn't be a need for that. As you say, probably the nicest looking smart watch out there though.
2017 M140i

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 pm

mouse140i wrote:Ask yourself why you want one and what you’d use it for.

Mine is used for fitness tracking and alerting.

My phone is on silent nearly all the time yet I rarely miss anything such as calls, messages or notifications.

I’m also using the watch for contactless payments a lot now there are a lot more terminals accepting it.
Yep same. Love my iWatch.

With the iWatch 4 I can leave my phone and wallet indoors on a night out and can make/receive calls, pay contactless and then order an Uber at the end of the night.

2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Do you not get a voucher towards a Carrera with a TAG smartwatch these days?

I have a Huwaei Watch 1 and really like it, it looks great and does everything the others do. Watch 2 is a bit boring and Samsung is too big for my wrists but appreciate standalone GPS is very useful for some people.

Slacky
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Slacky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 pm

Got to admit the tag looks a very nice watch but I can’t justify paying £400 for an Apple Watch never mind £1500

If I’m honest the main reason I want it is to go running. Playing music, gps etc rather than carrying my phone or music device. Although I’m sure I would use it a lot for other things when I got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InfernalBadger
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by InfernalBadger » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 pm

The Huawei Sport 2 is good for running. Has around 4gb storage I think for music and I've never had battery problems using it for music + GPS, but I can't run that far tbh :D

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”