Auto to manual license and Losing driving licence question... the 2 year thing

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Justchris17
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Auto to manual license and Losing driving licence question... the 2 year thing

Post by Justchris17 »

My girlfriend has been been driving on a automatic license for 6 years but has recently passed her manual test in the last 6 months but has been caught speeding twice in a couple days and facing 6 points... and the letter says will lose license if you get 6 points first 2 years of driving but we are trying to find out if that means it’s relevant to her as she’s been driving 6 years. So is it only applicable to brand new drivers in general or will she lose her manual license or will the manual part of license not be under the 2 year probation since she’s not a new driver?

It’s been a nightmare trying to get this information
2010 N55 135i, Manual, Metallic sapphire black, Coral red leather

2009 Mazda6 TS2 Estate for the dog/tip

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Auto to manual license and Losing driving licence question... the 2 year thing

Post by 50pence »

Call DVLA?

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Auto to manual license and Losing driving licence question... the 2 year thing

Post by ASB1960 »

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/13/section/1

1.2.(a).

(2)For the purposes of this Act, a person becomes a qualified driver on the first occasion on which he passes—

(a)any test of competence to drive mentioned in paragraph (a) or (c) of section 89(1) of the M1Road Traffic Act 1988;

The auto test was the first occasion. You might get a sensible answer from the DVLA. You might not. 😂
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

Dazzles
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Dazzles »

Are You insured for her car? If so, take the points yourself, It’s the gentlemanly thing to do. Albeit not strictly legal......
That dickhead in the orange bmw

Justchris17
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Justchris17 »

50pence wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:07 am
Call DVLA?

--
This had been ongoing for a month if they were helpful I would of found out by them
ASB1960 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 am
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/13/section/1

1.2.(a).

(2)For the purposes of this Act, a person becomes a qualified driver on the first occasion on which he passes—

(a)any test of competence to drive mentioned in paragraph (a) or (c) of section 89(1) of the M1Road Traffic Act 1988;

The auto test was the first occasion. You might get a sensible answer from the DVLA. You might not. 😂
Cheers hope that’s the case, yeah they have been useless so far
Dazzles wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:21 pm
Are You insured for her car? If so, take the points yourself, It’s the gentlemanly thing to do. Albeit not strictly legal......
No I’m not on her insurance lol I wouldn’t take them anyways women need to take responsibility for their actions so she can suck it up haha

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 »

By not strictly legal I think you mean "perverting the course of justice" and likely following jail time (if it came to light). :-)

What were the offences (possible course offers)

If you post on pepipoo.com they should give you chapter and verse on the new drivers act and section 89 of the road traffic act which may put her mind at rest on the 6 point scenario.
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

Justchris17
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Justchris17 »

ASB1960 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:20 pm
By not strictly legal I think you mean "perverting the course of justice" and likely following jail time (if it came to light). :-)

What were the offences (possible course offers)

If you post on pepipoo.com they should give you chapter and verse on the new drivers act and section 89 of the road traffic act which may put her mind at rest on the 6 point scenario.
34 and 35 In a 30 for each offence of top of my head. The vans were parked just before it turns into a 40 aswel but that’s the law suppose.

Thanks never heard of them I’ll pass it on

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 »

I would be amazed if one of them was 34 (the usual threshold for enforcement would be 35).

Under 42 in a 30 should qualify for a course for one of the offences so she should be able to get through with a course and a fixed penalty (3pts and 100 quid).

https://www.gocompare.com/motoring/guid ... s-courses/#

Make sure you read the forms carefully to ensure that the driver nomination and acceptance of the subsequent course and FP offer is correctly done.

A common mistake is not sending licence to the right place at the right time. This messes things up and it will be a court hearing then. (There isnt one right answer for the process, slight differences by different constabulary).

She doesn't have to do a course she can accept the alternative, but insurance is a lot more difficult with 6 points than 3.

Justchris17
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Justchris17 »

ASB1960 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:33 pm
I would be amazed if one of them was 34 (the usual threshold for enforcement would be 35).

Under 42 in a 30 should qualify for a course for one of the offences so she should be able to get through with a course and a fixed penalty (3pts and 100 quid).

https://www.gocompare.com/motoring/guid ... s-courses/#

Make sure you read the forms carefully to ensure that the driver nomination and acceptance of the subsequent course and FP offer is correctly done.

A common mistake is not sending licence to the right place at the right time. This messes things up and it will be a court hearing then. (There isnt one right answer for the process, slight differences by different constabulary).

She doesn't have to do a course she can accept the alternative, but insurance is a lot more difficult with 6 points than 3.

It was either 34 and 35 or 35 and 36 one of the two. Can’t remember exactly off top of head. Thanks for your help, I’ve never been caught touch wood so havnt a clue about process

J0sephx
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by J0sephx »

Id assume it would be from when she gets her first auto driving licence...

If this is her first offence for speeding then unless you’re in Scotland then she should get 3 points & also get 1 speed awareness course.

I’m not sure however if these awareness courses are getting offered out due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Best to post on pepipoo.
E87 130i : Bilstein B12 suspension, M3 steering rack, M3 front arms, M3 rear arms, Whiteline subframe inserts, M140i front callipers, BMWP rear callipers, E93 M3 front ARB, M3 rear ARB, LSD, 135i exhaust, Res delete, SSK, E46 M3 gearbox mounts

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius »

The courses are now online instead of a meeting place.

I would imagine that even if your only a couple of mph over the limit now you will get done. They will have to keep revenues coming in and motorists are the easiest targets.

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 »

Unfortunately it's not that simple :-(

Although some providers are now offering online courses not all forces allow them.

In any event, currently at least, they are only relevant for course offers that had previously been made.

No new course offers are currently being made.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”