Covid19 exercise. How does it work?

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

Mucus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Covid19 exercise. How does it work?

Post by Mucus »

I was under the impression that exercise should be taken near your home? Are cyclists exempt? Taking one of the dogs to the vet earlier today, a round trip of just over ten miles, I counted no less that ten of the lycra clad, tour wannabes, peddling along. Presumably you wouldn't dress like a fetishist for a cycle round the block, hence my conclusion that cycling is except the exercise restrictions. :)
18 yo Suzuki Jimny with two muddy dogs in the back 8)

Cayman GT4 (981C) tucked away
Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Covid19 exercise. How does it work?

Post by Octavius »

You stay at home and get fat.
Plenty of time in the future to burn it off.
HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x »

Mucus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm I was under the impression that exercise should be taken near your home? Are cyclists exempt? Taking one of the dogs to the vet earlier today, a round trip of just over ten miles, I counted no less that ten of the lycra clad, tour wannabes, peddling along. Presumably you wouldn't dress like a fetishist for a cycle round the block, hence my conclusion that cycling is except the exercise restrictions. :)
Anyone with common sense would exercise close to home.. but of course people will continue to bend the rules to suit them!

I personally couldn't think of anything worse than jogging outside / in the park now! People running past you and breathing heavily... noooooo!! :jawdrop:
RickN55

Post by RickN55 »

HN1989x wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:10 pm
Mucus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm I was under the impression that exercise should be taken near your home? Are cyclists exempt? Taking one of the dogs to the vet earlier today, a round trip of just over ten miles, I counted no less that ten of the lycra clad, tour wannabes, peddling along. Presumably you wouldn't dress like a fetishist for a cycle round the block, hence my conclusion that cycling is except the exercise restrictions. :)

People running past you and breathing heavily... noooooo!! :jawdrop:
Yep, this is why I've stopped my daily 5mile after work walk down the Canal, before lockdown you never used to see anyone on it, maybe the odd
person walking their dog sometimes if that, now since lockdown everyone is either a lycra clad cyclist or a jogger puffing and panting everywhere down there. Same last year with the first lockdown everyone all of a sudden turned into a walker, jogger or cyclist. Which I haven't got a problem with I respect they've got as much right as me to be out down there, it's just annoying with the cyclists and runners as quite alot don't care for social distancing or slowing down for you to get out of the way or for them to give a wider birth. It's literally like "I'm coming past, f**k you, I don't want to slow down and lose .2 of a second off my pointless time"
M135i N55 PWG ZF8
Simon Site Manager
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Simon Site Manager »

I saw some idiot on Sky News this morning saying that pedestrians should walk in single file to give enough room for joggers on pavements FFS.
'17 M140i Estoril Blue Most of the toys. Every time I see an F40 it makes me :(
terminator x
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by terminator x »

Afaik the "stay close to home" is guidance not the Law albeit sensible advice I guess. I run every few days and can do 5 or 10k ish so not close to home but other than running 100 laps of the house I haven't much choice!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

2006 130i M Sport
OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

Cycling isn't exempt at all, British Cycling give us strict guidelines on what we can and can't do. I'm a BC level 2 coach so get all the info straight from them.

However, a decent cyclist that does it a lot and has it as their main form of exercise will think nothing of doing 40-50 miles in a single outing. So someone doing 5-10 miles is merely tickling it on a road bike.

I'm a BMX/MTB coach so slightly different in terms of route length but if I was cycling at the moment, a 10 mile round trip would be quite normal from here. I've chosen not to ride since March as I don't want to clog up the NHS for no reason. The downside is I've put a lot of weight on since then, and generally don't feel very good. :(

Until the gov't give actual mileage/regulations on what is considered "local", nobody has any idea of how far to go and a lot of the top cyclists need a decent length of journey to make sure they get enough exercise. They still have to follow distancing rules though. I know a lot of people take the mick out of road cyclists, but some of them are really very very fit and top class. Bradley Wiggins son was at our club for a while.

As for clothing, I wear the same full MTB gear - full face helmet, pads, 5-10's etc if I'm riding 2 miles down to our pump track or 20 miles round Gisburn and the roadies will be the same.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise
CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

I have never been an adult cyclist but as a teen i used to cycle pretty regularly with my dad for a while, we ended up both doing the London to Brighton run and I am proud to say i cycled every inch of it, yes including all the way up the Ditchling Beacon incline!

As OneTwenty has said, cycling requires more miles to get the same amount of exercise compared to either walking or running, it's a far more efficient way to get from A to B than either of those activities. I would routinely do 15-20 miles just as a leasurely cycle around london for an afternoon back in the day. I couldn't have run a tenth that distance even back then.

I do feel (quite strongly) though that people should be making sacrifices in the current situation and that cyclists should forego their cycling and run instead for their exercise exactly so that they don't need to travel 10's of mile away from home to keep fit.

To be a bit blunt, there really isn't even a good excuse to even leave home if you absolutely must cycle anyway:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tes ... ing-366784
Last edited by CoupeSilver on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titanium Silver E82 125i M-Sport Coupe (2011)
CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

Simon Site Manager wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:48 pm I saw some idiot on Sky News this morning saying that pedestrians should walk in single file to give enough room for joggers on pavements FFS.
Some groups of people do tend to attract a higher percentage of people with a sense of "entitlement" it's true.
houston
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by houston »

CoupeSilver wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:10 am
Simon Site Manager wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:48 pm I saw some idiot on Sky News this morning saying that pedestrians should walk in single file to give enough room for joggers on pavements FFS.
Some groups of people do tend to attract a higher percentage of people with a sense of "entitlement" it's true.
I don't think people should have walk in single file but why not move over if they see someone coming regardless of whether they are running or walking down the pavement?

That's just common sense and manners surely?
CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

houston wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:23 am I don't think people should have walk in single file but why not move over if they see someone coming regardless of whether they are running or walking down the pavement?

That's just common sense and manners surely?
I agree, but then runners should also expect to have to adjust their path too. It's give and take. People just don't do that any more. When i was younger if you were walking towards someone on the street both of you would take a step to one side so you could pass each other, these days everyone just expects the other person to get entirely out of their way without making any effort themselves. We are a far more self absorbed society than we were even 20 years ago.
pje16
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by pje16 »

CoupeSilver wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 am I agree, but then runners should also expect to have to adjust their path too. It's give and take. People just don't do that any more. When i was younger if you were walking towards someone on the street both of you would take a step to one side so you could pass each other, these days everyone just expects the other person to get entirely out of their way without making any effort themselves. We are a far more self absorbed society than we were even 20 years ago.
think that might be because we have a generation with a neck complaint, it is bent at 45 degrees to assist with constant staring at their mobiles !
2018 BMW F22 220d
Ex 2004 E46 BMW320d
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

Lad over the road from me set up a gym in his garage. This was fine until his mates came to use it. They’ve been fined and before anyone asks, it wasn’t me who grassed him up even though I was tempted.
Simon Site Manager
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Simon Site Manager »

pje16 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am
CoupeSilver wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 am I agree, but then runners should also expect to have to adjust their path too. It's give and take. People just don't do that any more. When i was younger if you were walking towards someone on the street both of you would take a step to one side so you could pass each other, these days everyone just expects the other person to get entirely out of their way without making any effort themselves. We are a far more self absorbed society than we were even 20 years ago.
think that might be because we have a generation with a neck complaint, it is bent at 45 degrees to assist with constant staring at their mobiles !
I've got to the point now that I put my elbow out in front of me and let people looking at their phones walk in to it. This was especially bad when working on Manchester Uni, not that this is a problem now.
'17 M140i Estoril Blue Most of the toys. Every time I see an F40 it makes me :(
OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

Simon Site Manager wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:00 pm
pje16 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am
I've got to the point now that I put my elbow out in front of me and let people looking at their phones walk in to it. This was especially bad when working on Manchester Uni, not that this is a problem now.
We've had a name for that manoeuvre for years now, and ironically it's called the "Manchester Barge" which we still reference today. :lol:

It came from a shopping trip to Manchester many moons ago where some guy was walking towards us on his phone and I spotted at the last minute he was going to walk straight into my Mrs so I put my whole arm out with elbow pointing towards him and completely barged him out of the way.

So now whenever in a crowded area (pre Covid), my Mrs will say "Do a Manchester Barge if you can". :D
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”