eBay Collection - Yay or nay?

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

rjwojcik
Too Much Time To Waste Member

eBay Collection - Yay or nay?

Post by rjwojcik »

In a bit of a dilemma and I want to do the right thing. I bought something off eBay and I need to collect it, posting is not an option. Before anyone says anything, I was aware of the lockdown rules that were / are in place and I agreed with the seller that we would wait.

My question is, when would it be acceptable for me to collect it?

It's a 50 mile one way trip. You hear about these people on the news taking long trips unnecessarily.

So, according to the new rules:

From 29th March either six people or two households will be able to meet outside (including in private gardens).

What would you do? TIA
Current:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black
G90

Re: eBay Collection - Yay or nay?

Post by G90 »

Are you in essential need for the item? Personally if you're by yourself and you meet safely collecting the item its less risk than going out for anything else imo. I done 120ish miles through the first lockdown to take a cat to the vet hospital, only car on the road apart from police. No issue. The biggest problem is those taking the p*ss.
It's all guidelines at the end of the day, you've obviously been responsible enough to ask the question so would asssume you're responsible to make a socially distanced covid secure collection.
If you want to be double safe, quarantine the item for a few days or wipe it down etc. I think the police have better things to do with all the proper covid breaches.
Current: F20 M140i Sunset Orange(Manual)
Previous 1er's: F20 120d Estoril Blue 2--E87 120d Sapphire Black
OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

How essential is it?

If not, then just wait until lockdown has lifted. It's not worth the £200 fine if nothing else.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise
rjwojcik

Post by rjwojcik »

Thanks.

It's car modding related, would you call that essential? Probably no, unless you're a proper petrol head. :oops:

Handover / collection will be safe, so I'm happy with that aspect. I just feel a bit guilty doing it now, but as you say they're guidelines. Difficult to understand when would it not be frowned upon.
Current:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black
OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

It won't be frowned upon after the 29th March, is the answer, I guess. :)

I have loads to sell on eBay, including a 59 plate Jaguar XF, but not even bothering with it just yet until lockdown goes. :lol:
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

2dogs
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 2dogs »

Yes, just go👍
Did over 100 miles on Sunday with the lads and pass two cop cars 🚔 with no problems.
240i LBB
Dave1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Dave1 »

OneTwenty wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:06 pm It won't be frowned upon after the 29th March, is the answer, I guess. :)

I have loads to sell on eBay, including a 59 plate Jaguar XF, but not even bothering with it just yet until lockdown goes. :lol:
Same here, I have not listed items on Gumtree or eBay despite at least two maximum selling offers of £1 which I have ignored period. The items would have to be collection only and whilst there would no doubt be takers, engaging in that type of transaction felt wrong. It is not really a matter of whether you get stopped / caught collecting.
RickN55

Post by RickN55 »

Just go personally...
M135i N55 PWG ZF8, Hex trim, HK, Bum warmers, Black panel, Driver comfort pack, Sun protection glass + 20% tint, Twenty20 LED bulb upgrade. Nextbase 622 4K front and rear cam.
podders
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by podders »

Individual choice, im guessing if your asking the advice of others, your not a natural risk taker.

I collected an item last Friday but I arranged to do it around rush hour when at least I could merge into the commuter traffic, I saw on FB yesterday a group of bikers where stopped and nicked on a ride out, they would have stuck out like a sore thumb on quieter roads , at a weekend.

Dont stand out and you'll be fine, I dont think you are putting yourself at any more risk (probably less so) than a trip to the supermarket.
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

If you follow the rules to the letter then no you can’t go. I’ve bought something from Blackburn, two hours away, and it’s costing me £120 to get it delivered. It’s not essential so I’m happy to pay rather than a fine. I’m buying from a business who are allowed to trade so thy can deliver. I could go down in my business van so it looks legit but the law is the law, don’t break it.
Chapscrap
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Chapscrap »

A moral dilemma. Personally I wouldn’t, in fact I feel guilty just going to the supermarket.
Thankfully we’ve got dogs, so at least I can legally and morally (in my head anyway) take them out.
Don’t mean to hi jack this thread but I have a similar problem in that a mate who’s a bit ill, and is struggling with this lockdown has asked me to drop in for coffee and a catch-up. 30 miles away. Should I go? It may help him if I do, but legally I shouldn’t. Not sure tbh.
Current: June 2019 M140 auto Shadow, Sunset Orange/Oyster/Adaptive, + options.
Gone: Too numerous to list, but I am quite old.
Dave1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Dave1 »

Chapscrap wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:52 am Don’t mean to hi jack this thread but I have a similar problem in that a mate who’s a bit ill, and is struggling with this lockdown has asked me to drop in for coffee and a catch-up. 30 miles away. Should I go? It may help him if I do, but legally I shouldn’t. Not sure tbh.
If you have done as well as you have so far, I would try and stick what you believe the rules are for the remaining term. You haven't said how the request came about but these days social media and email seems to have taken over. A chat on the phone might help a lot, not face to face but at least they know you are there and prepared to spend time that way until circumstances change. It's not that far but if something happened on the way, could you justify the visit if the services of others are needed taking in account their exposure etc. That's something that needs consideration for any trip but seems to be overlooked because it is straight there and back with distancing etc. Hope that helps a bit 😃
Autosri
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Autosri »

Chapscrap wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:52 am A moral dilemma. Personally I wouldn’t, in fact I feel guilty just going to the supermarket.
Thankfully we’ve got dogs, so at least I can legally and morally (in my head anyway) take them out.
Don’t mean to hi jack this thread but I have a similar problem in that a mate who’s a bit ill, and is struggling with this lockdown has asked me to drop in for coffee and a catch-up. 30 miles away. Should I go? It may help him if I do, but legally I shouldn’t. Not sure tbh.
If it’s boredom then don’t go if you feel the friend is genuinely struggling then go see them but use common sense
This happened to me last week we have all been struggling and we kept delaying seeing each other for obvious reasons then received a message in our group chat saying “love you all” and that ended up with the police helping my close friend back over the barrier of a multistory car park after tracking his phone there

So now I’m seeing him every couple of days
OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

Chapscrap wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:52 am A moral dilemma. Personally I wouldn’t, in fact I feel guilty just going to the supermarket.
Not sure on that one, my sister is on her own as all our family are gone now and she moved into a new house and needs help with putting stuff up, curtains, blinds etc but I said no until lockdown is over, which is hard to say. :(

And wasn't it you that had the posting tirade about people going out a few miles in their cars last week?? ;) :lol:

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

And with one rule for one, etc etc, I noticed Prince Charles was quite free to go and visit his Dad in hospital last week!! I wonder what would happen if we did that? :(

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”