Home Security

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Home Security

Post by kylemacca01 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm

markhurley wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:05 pm
Is the signal blocker bag only worth it if you have comfort access?
Yes

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm

kylemacca01 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm
markhurley wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:05 pm
Is the signal blocker bag only worth it if you have comfort access?
Yes
And even then, only if you don't have a spare biscuit tin.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

mattpone
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mattpone » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 pm

maybe a visual deterent that means they can't move the car will stop them bothering to break into the house would also be worthwhile - something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescopic-Sec ... B00BWRZ7CQ

Does depend on your driveway setup though.
Running In - 2017 M140i Shadow Edition Auto 3dr Black, Sunroof, Heated Seats, BCS Cat Back, Bilstein B14 Coilovers.
Previously - 2017 M140i Manual 5dr Grey, Adaptive Dampers/LED's/Pro Nav/HK/Elec Heated Seats/Lumbar/PDC F&R/Elec Mirrors.

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:34 pm

simong_1984 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:13 pm
KR15 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:10 pm
Presume you don't have a garage? That would probably be better than everything you've listed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I do have a garage but sadly it's not an option.

A double garage is definitely on my list of requirements for when we move house though.
Why is the garage not an option, access/size or just as it's full of rubbish?

I don't have a double garage, although admittedly it's not a small single that most houses have these days - it does have a single door entry but then has half a meter each side and 6m back in length.

It's still a tight squeeze and it was full of crap for years but I spent a few weekends tidying it out and fitting new shelves to fit the car in.

The plus side is not just from a theft viewpoint, but the car remains out of the harsh weather, kids playing football, cats walking on it, storms damaging it etc so I love the fact I put it away all the time now. :)

In fact it rarely stays out of the garage unless I'm washing it as I don't like prying eyes to see it.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

chall5
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chall5 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Disklok instead of that steering lock
E82 135i DCT N55
E82 123d
E36 320i
E30 318i

Mrsimpleton
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mrsimpleton » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:17 pm

simong_1984 wrote:
bigfellas_dad wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm
A key bag, is that only if you have the door opening in close proximity thing? I just have a base shadow, do i need to do this as well please? I used to have the keys in the hall, 5m from the car. Now they are always on my person and the spares kept in my gun cabinet!
This is why you would need the keybag - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11 ... lay-theft/.

The box they have relays the keyfob signal and tricks the car into the thinking the keyfob is nearby.

I don't know how they get around opening the car in the first place though. Is keyless entry an option on these cars? Thinking about it, mine only has keyless start so this method of attack is unlikely?
Im nervous about the things ive seen on here regarding security also but: I've seen this same footage at least 5 times now on a number of media outlets, I'm guessing it's news as it's rare. I heard it's kit that has been bought off the dark Web? Mercedes i believe have already said theres a sequence of key button presses that stops this key transmitting (don't know if that means it stops comfort access). I would also be expecting the car manufacturers to catch up with this quickly? Has anyone got access to the factual data on this technique and how often it's been used to nick cars. I sort of feel this is going to be much less of a threat than somebody doing a smash and grab. It's an easy fix to put it in a bag I know but am sort of thinking I rather have this happen than someone waking me up in my house in the middle of the night. Anyway anyone know the data?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

mtechtone
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by mtechtone » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 pm

I had my mind set on getting some Ultion cylinders after seeing the videos. User Goldstar had offered to supply them in other stolen car threads and I’ve seen he’s supplied a number of users on m3cutters. I pm’d him a couple of weeks back but it’s still in my outbox and I’ve just noticed he hasn’t been active since August.

Can someone recommend where to get the Ultion cylinders from? Or, just go with the ABS avocet ones? Are they just as good?

For those wanting to protect themselves from comfort access thefts see here.
‘15 M135i
‘06 130i Sport
‘99 328ti Sport

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Here's a list of the diamond standard sold secure euro cylinders. ABS seem to have the biggest marketing budget but they are pretty good.

http://www.soldsecure.com/search?produc ... y=&action=
M140i, Mineral Grey

Johnnyo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Johnnyo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 pm

As has been said on other threads, I imagine a lot of these thefts are a result of thieves driving around areas and just seeing what cars are about.. nothin more hi tech than this.. think about it, in your local area do you know where good hi powered cars live? Probably.. I know of 3 more mlites, a45 and e63 all within a stones throw..

If you are fortunate enough to have a garage, USE IT!

be vigilant when going home, and if you think you’re being tailed detour/go round the houses.

If you have a steering lock - keep key on one of those key rings which you can separate... keep steering lock key away from car key (thieves just looking for car key - makes it more challenging if they then have to come back for other key). Steering lock altohough a pain to use good visual deterrent - disk lock and stop lock pro are both thatcham approved.

As well as good anti snap locks - avocet, Yale ts007 (from memory) or other three star anti snap
Locks good. Get a security handle too - I forget make - but a quick google should help. Also, pointless having good locks of doors are feeble poor quality upvc or similar - put the panel in very easily...locks are thus pointless.

Apologies for memory dump type approach.. hope it helps.
2017 Petrol - many galloping horses.. Intergalactic miles....
2014 Dirty White 120d sport auto - brilliant but gone to help save the planet from diesel....

Tricky401

Post by Tricky401 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:55 pm

chall5 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:39 pm
Disklok instead of that steering lock
This. The lock posted is such a cheap and nasty thing. Disklok have a good rep for a reason. The other will be ripped off your wheel and if it's not I'm sure some damage will be caused to the wheel
M135 gone - all parts for sale

X3M comp inbound

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Signal blockers, keybags, and faraday bags or boxes. They are cheap and good if your preference is to disable theft by Comfort Access. Comfort Access means that you can unlock the car simply by putting a thumb on the door handle and it also allows you start the car as long as you have the key nearby or they are using a signal magnifier.

There are a variety of views on whether or not people want to block this signal or simply let the thieves take the car instead of breaking in. That's a separate debate.

If you want to block the signal then use a signal blocker (faraday bag or box). Wrap your spare key in aluminium foil. Job done.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

rydale13
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rydale13 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Don't forget the GHOST immobiliser.

Given, it's less of a deterrent on its own, but it ultimately prevents the removal of your car within first entering a unique code using a combo of buttons on the steering wheel.

This in combo with a steering wheel lock would be both a visual deterrent and a combined preventative.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

veinesalmon

Post by veinesalmon » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 am

For getting a home security at affordable price with a professional, there are many websites for searching best home security services.

home security gold coast

veinesalmon

Post by veinesalmon » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:17 am

For getting a home security at affordable price with a professional, there are many websites for searching best home security services.

home security gold coast

Davws
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Davws » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:23 am

So much for the UK in 2019. We're living those post-apocalypse films we used to watch.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”