Home Security

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

bastoj
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Home Security

Post by bastoj » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:30 am

Really appreciate this thread. Have seen a lot of threads about this stuff but all the recommendations are spread across countless posts so to have them all in one place with some example links is really helpful.

Pubbie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Pubbie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:32 am

Davws wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:23 am
So much for the UK in 2019. We're living those post-apocalypse films we used to watch.
Pretty much, yep.

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nottsknots » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:52 am

Uncle Tupelo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:45 pm
Good list, but I don't think solar security lights are a great idea; in my experience, they aren't very bright.
I have to agree, I wouldnt get another solar security light.

Not only are they too dim to be of much use (unless you live in the back of beyond, and never see the moon), but also the batterys in the one I had froze over winter. I couldnt figure out why it wasnt working, but then worked when I took it down and tried to diagnose in the house. Three months of the year it was pointless, and the other nine it was almost pointless.

Bright allows cctv to see, and discourages amateurs as they become visible to passers-by (and neighbours notice the light coming on). Dim is more beneficial to them, as they can see what they are doing better, but nobody else notices the light coming on.

A fused spur is worth the effort to wire a proper light in.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Gone (East), but apparently not forgotten.

Peter9588
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Peter9588 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:03 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent burglar alarm system? Ideally wireless so I don’t have to chase wires in everywhere.

Thanks
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon, Electric Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Headlights

Mason636

Post by Mason636 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:10 pm

Power master 10 /30 is what alarm fitters use round here

Stueys
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Stueys » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Peter9588 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:03 pm
Can anyone recommend a decent burglar alarm system? Ideally wireless so I don’t have to chase wires in everywhere.

Thanks
If you want monitored, then ADT or Verisure. Monitoring cranks the price right up though.

If you don't want monitored then take a look at the Nest system, get's good reviews and will send notifications to your phone for triggers. I'm not sure whether it's launched in the UK yet though, it was planned for last year if I recall correctly.
M240i + Birds B2 + Quaife LSD

ninja_geezer
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ninja_geezer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:15 pm

Peter9588 wrote:

Thanks
I was recommended texecom buy at least 5 fitters so i got one installed british made been around a while and well built.
not one installer recommended wireless ....
Current: 2018 M240i Auto, Alpine white,Coral Red Leather,Heated Seats ,Reversing Camera,Pro Media,Harman Kardon,MPE,Rear Diffuser.Autoid M4 Syle Rear spoiler.Shuttergang Carbon Mirror Caps.M Performance Side Decals.
Previous: 2016 Golf R DSG

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Visonic - part of Tyco / ADT https://www.visonic.com/Data/Uploads/Po ... r_View.pdf

Not Fischer Price Yale stuff :)
M140i, Mineral Grey

blissann

Post by blissann » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:31 am

I suggest install alarm system, because the majority of burglaries are made by people who want to go in & out of as many houses as they can without bringing attention to themselves, and they avoid houses fitted with alarms in preference for those without one. Also consider metal grilles as an additional measure. Enjoy security!
Last edited by blissann on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:21 pm

ninja_geezer wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:15 pm
Peter9588 wrote:

Thanks
I was recommended texecom buy at least 5 fitters so i got one installed british made been around a while and well built.
not one installer recommended wireless ....
I’ve install four or five Texecom wired systems for myself and friends. Never had a single problem with any of them other than the lead acid battery failing after a few years which is normal and a £10 fix.
2018 Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

Daewar
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Daewar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:41 pm

I have a texecom system. Can be set up yourself but complicated for the first time user. Very very versatile & can add all sorts of stuff to it. Smoke alarm, water/flood sensors, pir, phone app, desktop app, break windows, great support, etc. etc. & uses a mesh network if u use the wireless system.
Peter9588 wrote:

Thanks
BMW M140i Shadow Edition

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:04 am

People need to look at a lot of the high tech home security systems very carefully as most are rendered useless if your internet/power goes down, that could be caused by a burglar simply turning your mains electricity off from the outside utility box or snip your telephone line. Any burglar alarm in my opinion to be worth its salt should have basic motion detection functionality, ext siren etc even without power (battery backup) or/and internet.

A trusty old style alarm like a Veritas Texecom has a backup battery so even with the SMS/Text board added will work and the alarm will sound without power or the internet.

blissann

Post by blissann » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:49 pm

We have been using keekoon cameras with great success. They are pretty affordable and provide excellent picture quality. You can read review here https://www.techprohomes.com/best-outdo ... -with-dvr/ on them. Pretty a decent product

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”