Opinions on quick wire tap

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Giggs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Opinions on quick wire tap

Post by Giggs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm

As the title says, just wondering what are peoples thoughts e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-Blue-Scot ... SwEH9ZaIkU
2008 E87 116i N43 - Some Mods

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Opinions on quick wire tap

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:12 pm

They're a bit bodgy really, can you solder + head-shrink instead?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Giggs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Giggs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Never had a go at soldering or heat shrinking, that's why I'm just exploring all the options.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:25 pm

Soldering is a piece of p*ss, a nutless monkey could do it blindfold, if in doubt just use lots of flux. :)
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Don't go anywhere near Scotch Locks for auto wiring. They work by cutting the insulation, but can sometimes damage the wire itself and sometimes have quite a dodgy connection, especially with vibrations and movement as the car moves around.

If it's for car audio then they are just about acceptable at a push, but I'd much rather have solid connections as mentioned, soldering isn't that hard, but a good next step is simply a block connector that can screw the wires down securely.

Is this for your tweeter connections?

I'm not meaning this badly, but if you're really having this much trouble wiring a couple of speakers in, you should really get someone to look at it for you or show you what to do.

It shouldn't be too hard to take this opportunity to learn about wiring though. All it is really is a positive and negative in a circuit.

Giggs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Giggs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Oh no, I've already wired my tweeters with the terminal block that MP suggested and it works great, I'm just trying to use this opportunity to learn as much as possible about wiring.

CynicalRobot
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CynicalRobot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Good idea to keep learning about it tbh, its really handy to know how to handle wiring.

I would recommend soldering though, if you watch a tutorial on youtube and get a soldering kit off amazon, i think they are £20. Then just practice on a load of dummy wire until you are comfortable, benefit of this is you can do it in your warm home and not in the freezing cold on your live wires getting in a panic! lol
2016 BMW M135i LCI - Total Loss :cry:

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”