Compatible Toner Cartridges

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

ihadablackdog
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Compatible Toner Cartridges

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:21 pm

ok, so I can't believe I'm considering this but I'm looking at compatible toner cartridges for my home printer.

I'm normally dead against compatible/re-filled cartridges because in all my years as an IT support monkey, the only time I've seen problems with printers (that was toner/ink related) was when they were using 3rd party products. So, considering I'm the muppet expected to sort it out, I would never allow work to buy them.

So, this is the bit I'm surprised at....I'm considering getting some at home.

The printer is a Samsung CLP-325W and is a few years old. Gone through 2 sets of originals, but at roughly £130 for a set of 4 colours, i'm thinking the compatible sets at roughly £40 might be worth a punt. Could get a new printer for £130, so not a great loss if they cause problems.

So, which, if any, brands are recommended, or is my strict work view the best?

CynicalRobot
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Compatible Toner Cartridges

Post by CynicalRobot » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 pm

I find that some printers work well with the campatible toners but its hard to say for a Samsung. We only supply Brother and HP's.

Best bet is to look on amazon to be honest and read some of the reviews. Amazon will take the items back even if opened for a full refund so nothing to lose :)
2016 BMW M135i LCI - Total Loss :cry:

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Looked on Amazon and the ones I looked at had mixed reviews, from excellent down to horrendous, hence asking, to see if there are any brands that are generally a “safer” bet.

Meerkat
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Meerkat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 am

I'd personally stick with the real deal! You've seen the end results from people who've used the cheaper alternative. Cheap is not always cheerful!

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 am
I'd personally stick with the real deal! You've seen the end results from people who've used the cheaper alternative. Cheap is not always cheerful!
That would be my normal stance on it, but considering the printer is slow, if I was to spend about £130 on it, I would rather buy a newer faster printer, so thats why I'm looking for the "cheap" option. If they do leak, then I'll just buy a new printer (ok, that would be more than the original £130, but its a punt).

There must be people on here who buy 3rd party, I can't believe all of the penny pinchers on here pay for original consumables? So someone must use a brand they trust (i.e. haven't had problems with).

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:50 pm

My Epson works flawlessly with compatible cartridges but you can’t upgrade the firmware while your using them and it can be a bit hit and miss if you decide to switch back to originals if it will recognise them.
At £50 a printer I’ll just replace it if it ducks up.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 pm

I tried a couple of aftermarket options with my CLP500.

Do NOT go the "fill your own" route. I did a pretty good job of opening up the cartridge, refilling and resealing, and the b@$tard still leaked after a couple of hundred pages. Remanufacturing the cartridge is a whole different ballgame, and in my opinion, not worth the effort for DIY.

I did get some remanufactured cartridges from Amazon, purely based on reviews, amd they were absolutely fine. The boxes dont have a brand on, so I cant even advise you. The prints were fine for colour documents but not so good for photos; the oem toners were ok for photos, but nothing like a quality inkjet (or online print service). Depends on your needs, and your printers capability.

My printer is now 8 years old, and was second hand when I acquired it. Its getting to the point that I'm not buying any more toner, but next time it runs out, I'll get a new printer with better airprint and remote capabilities (provided Apple can upgrade an OS without fu<king up my ipad and macbook, following in the tragic footsteps of Microsofts inability to ever deliver a proper operating system. The mighty fruit seems to be stumbling, and may be in mid fall IMHO).
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”