Skint

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Skint

Post by Twenny » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 am

I guess most people’s viewpoint is this -

Immigration - kick em all out - apart from my neighbour because you know, he’s ok.

Welfare - get a job lazy fcuks - apart from Aunt Sue because you know she’s having a hard time.

My point is that I have on many occasions given money to people directly, helped people, cared for, looked after, felt sorry for, but it’s always been on a one to one basis where I can make my own judgement. Have I been scammed by some of them? Probably, but it’s not about them it’s about me. I don’t donate to charities because too many people don’t deserve the charity they are taking. Sorry if that affects the ones that do need it but that’s how I feel.

OP? , it would be so hard to know who’s genuine and who’s taking the p*ss, but in truth you know nothing about this women other than she wanted to buy some biscuits for her baby. I’m not saying she was lying, but if she smokes or has a mobile phone and she’s spending money that should be feeding her child proper food, would you still be so sympathetic?

Plenty of TV programmes showing benefit scroungers with smart phones, widescren smart TV’s, PlayStations and smoking and nice clothes. Absolute p*ss take. It’s supposed to be money to survive money not to live on.

Sadly there are more and more people taking the p*ss and the genuine ones suffer because the reckless and feckless have no morals or self worth.

I guess my point is RON, fair play to you for caring, but you can’t blame a whole system/government/political party based on one situation where you have minimal facts.

Eeesh, rant over lol

* on a separate note I found that rattle from behind my dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Twenny on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Twenny

Re: Skint

Post by Twenny » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 am

Bmw_ire_2012 wrote:The way I look at it is, if you can help then help. We don't know where we are going to end up, I'm living pay cheque to pay cheque with a little in the bank. I am guessing others are living pay cheque to pay cheque also, lost of a job and you could be in the same boat.
Yep, I think statistically, most people are 3 paychecks away from being in trouble.

2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:48 am

She did not get her benefits sanctioned because she missed "a" meeting at all.

Why do people peddle this rubbish ?
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 am

Food banks. If she was so desperate and was genuinely in need she would have been given vouchers.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:28 am

Twenny wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 am
OP? , it would be so hard to know who’s genuine and who’s taking the p*ss, but in truth you know nothing about this women other than she wanted to buy some biscuits for her baby. I’m not saying she was lying, but if she smokes or has a mobile phone and she’s spending money that should be feeding her child proper food, would you still be so sympathetic?

Plenty of TV programmes showing benefit scroungers with smart phones, widescren smart TV’s, PlayStations and smoking and nice clothes. Absolute p*ss take. It’s supposed to be money to survive money not to live on.
Spot on, exactly my thoughts on this situation.

I always feel terrible seeing people in genuine poverty, and those without a home when it's so cold outside but for every 1 genuine person there are 10 taking the p*ss and stealing from us - not from the gov't but directly from us via tax.

Unfortunately I live near Burnley, a very hard place to live with lots of poverty so I get to see both sides of the tale every day. Just been in town this morning and there was 5 or 6 grown adults sitting on a bench shouting and swearing and smoking whilst their 4-5 young 1 and 2 year old kids were running around eating sweets and drinking Lucozade!!. None of the adults were trying to do anything but bum around smoking, drinking and just dossing about. And I'm the one rushing past them to get to work so I can make money which then goes back to them via the benefits payments. :evil:

And that's what boils my p*ss more than anything, I have to work hard so they can bum around town without any cares in the world.

Meanwhile the genuine folk that need help suffer because I now tar them all with the same brush.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:45 am

.Griff. wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:48 am

There are issues. I am in the support group for ESA. I got sanctioned without knowing about it and it took while to sort it out.

There were requests for additional medical information. They were sent by text which for some reason were not received. I had the same phone and everything.

There was no phone call, voicemail or printed letter following up the non response. Just stopped paying. It would have been very difficult were I particularly reliant on it.

If you are in a UC area for any benefits then the sole method of you managing appears to be on line.

The admin of the system is far from perfect.

(I agree with your point though, it is more than a single thing before sanction. But if you don't know about the appointment it doesnt help).
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:59 pm

ASB1960 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:45 am
.Griff. wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:48 am

There are issues. I am in the support group for ESA. I got sanctioned without knowing about it and it took while to sort it out.

There were requests for additional medical information. They were sent by text which for some reason were not received. I had the same phone and everything.

There was no phone call, voicemail or printed letter following up the non response. Just stopped paying. It would have been very difficult were I particularly reliant on it.

If you are in a UC area for any benefits then the sole method of you managing appears to be on line.

The admin of the system is far from perfect.

(I agree with your point though, it is more than a single thing before sanction. But if you don't know about the appointment it doesnt help).
I/We have just been through PIP and JSA as I had to leave my last role to take care of my partner. So I'm no expert but I do feel more qualified than someone in a supermarket checkout line (not aimed at you of course).

I missed an appointment due to a misunderstanding over dates (inclement weather/holiday period). Was no big deal at all.

I agree it's not perfect but let's be honest how many people are going to bend the truth and moan about losing benefits even though they'll have you believe their model citizens and little angels. "Nasty tories cut off my benefits and I did nothing wrong" - Erm yeah ok love.
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Twenny wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 am
Bmw_ire_2012 wrote:The way I look at it is, if you can help then help. We don't know where we are going to end up, I'm living pay cheque to pay cheque with a little in the bank. I am guessing others are living pay cheque to pay cheque also, lost of a job and you could be in the same boat.
Yep, I think statistically, most people are 3 paychecks away from being in trouble.

40% of people in the UK have less than £100 savings. Obviously some that is down to low wages and circumstances, but there's plenty of people with expensive cars and houses that effectively choose those circumstances.

I think I believe the girl was genuine here. Who is going to turn up at a checkout and go through the embarrassment of not having just a couple of pounds? She was hardly trying it on to get something worth a little bit of money.

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:35 pm

I was in Subway once and this chav in front of me asked the server how much his order would be. £5.20 she said so he went ahead and ordered it, so she made it.

He goes to pay with £5 and she says "it's £5.20, I told you that"..he said he only had £5! Chavvy cnut!

When I was on the dole (ok, JSA to be correct) in 2015 I hated it. If my mortgage wasn't enough motivation to get a job, then being treated like low-life by the staff was! Honestly, the bouncers (sorry, security) told me I couldn't take a coffee in. Another time I needed the loo...no, not allowed to use the ones there, had to go across the road to the bus station.

The main guy that I saw (I'm sure he was the Dr from Back to the Future) was really good, but everyone else were patronising cnuts who look down their noses and treat you like scum. When I phoned the main number a couple times I had bad experiences....on one occasion I rang about something or other...at my next appointment, turns out the phone operator had updated my notes to say I had found a job!

Another occasion I was told I had an appointment the next day....first i'd heard of it, cos I had no letter and made my appointments with my advisor.

So I spent hours each day trawling the jobs sites etc. Got some agency work to keep my hand in - but declared all hours and pay and everything was ok with my normal advisor...then one day I saw a woman and updated her on that weeks work etc and she practically accused me of being a benefit cheat!

So glad I found a job...with Capita...so last year they made me redundant!

Never really got onto the subject of sanctions, but from what I remember it was something like break the rules once and they stop your money for 4 weeks. If you re-offend in 6 weeks, then they stop your money for much longer? Might not be totally correct but that's what I seem to remember?

oh, the other thing - when I first went in to start proceedings they had an area labelled "new claims" so I sat there. No one came so I asked this guy and he said you do it all online! So you need to know the system even before you need to use it! And you don't get anything for the first week or two (I think).

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:53 pm

RONHULLOCK wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:42 am
hey tory boy,you can t blame anyone but the conservatives for the divided unfair society we have,after 8 years of tory rule to blame anyone else for the ill's of our society is just ludicrous
Incorrect.

The Labour government left an annual spending deficit of £156 billion in 2010. So if the Conservatives had done nothing to rectify this, each year, the national debt would increase by £156 billion. Plus interest. Fortunately, the Conservatives have cut the spending deficit to £49 billion. Thus the national debt is increasing at a far slower rate.

As for being sanctioned. Frankly if you can't be bothered to turn up for an interview to get free money, I've no sympathy.

Blame the child's father, not the government.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

BMWBrad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BMWBrad » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:40 pm

If I miss a day at work, my wages take the impact.
Why should it be any different? It’s not like she didn’t have the time.
Pampered E81 130i
(Alpinweiss, Black Boston, Cruise, Adaptive Xenons, Pro HU w/BT, USB & DAB, F&R PDC)
BMWPE- BMWP SSK- BMWP Handbrake- BMWPV1 Steering Wheel- Alcantara Binnacle- L7 Mids & Tweeters

Tiggstar1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tiggstar1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:24 pm

I believe everyone’s circumstances are different, we never know how the person has ended up in that situation.

I don’t think she expected to get anything for free because the person on the till could then be accused of knowing theft if they didnt ring it through.

The different government parties are both as bad as each other, it will always be a blame game.

I can’t imagine what it must be like not being able to feed your children. It must be horrible.

As for savings, I’ve always been pretty good but I know those that live pay check to pay check without even putting £20 aside.

I was watch Martin Lewis money show last night and a woman spent less than £1.50 for £40 worth of shopping.
2013 F20, 120d M sport, glacier silver, few extras - Gone
2017 Seat Leon FR

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 pm

So how much money should you put away for emergencies. Three months salary ?
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

Tiggstar1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tiggstar1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Octavius wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 pm
So how much money should you put away for emergencies. Three months salary ?
This is a hard one, I do 6 months.
2013 F20, 120d M sport, glacier silver, few extras - Gone
2017 Seat Leon FR

jimBabyBMW
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”