Toll Road Charge

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Glund91
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Toll Road Charge

Post by Glund91 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:36 pm

So my wife text me at work today to say I have got a letter from Halton Borough Council and that she thought I had been caught speeding.

Upon opening it however it seems I have been charged for not paying a £2 toll for crossing a bridge.

So my problem is, I have the BMW Sat Nav set to avoid toll roads, and there was absolutely visual cue to me that there was a toll road.

The toll was £2... which I would have paid had I known about it!!

Now I have 14 days to pay £20 plus the original toll, or if not within 14 days it will be double.

Is there anything I can do about this? Especially seen as I have the bloody sat nav to avoid these tolls in the first place.

67 plate so should be the latest maps.

Can I fight the charge itself? Failing that can I take it up with BMW?
M140i Shadow in SO w/ MPE

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Toll Road Charge

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Was that the Mersey Gateway toll bridge? I think it only opened in October, so may or may not be recognised in the latest satnav update. Mind you, if the bridge appears on the maps, it should be recognised as a toll bridge as it was tolled from the day it opened I believe.

Are there not warning signs on the bridge?
Last edited by Uncle Tupelo on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

scov1984
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by scov1984 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Let me guess - The Runcorn Bridge? (AKA 'Mersey Gateway').

I picked my car up on 1st September (67 plate like yours) and this new bridge opened about a week or two later. Your sat nav won't recognise it until an update is released.

Apparently people were complaining about a lack of signage regarding the tolls when this first opened but I believe they have rectified this now. You could try a letter to them to appeal but I'd suggest it might be a waste of time and might end up costing you more in the long-run. Annoying, I know.
Current: M140i Shadow Edition, 5dr Auto
Previous: Audi A5 2.0T Revo stage 1, VW Golf GT TSI 170, Seat Leon Cupra R, Ford Puma 1.7 and others

Glund91
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Glund91 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Yes that is the one.

I am generally very aware of my surroundings whilst driving but to my knowledge there weren't any signs or indications of a toll.

As I said had I seen anything, for the sake of £2 I would have just paid, but there are no toll booths or anything and if there were signs I must have missed them.
M140i Shadow in SO w/ MPE

ihadablackdog
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:06 pm

If your argument is that it wasn't on the sat nav, then I wouldn't think you've got a leg to stand on....."excuse me sir, the toll wasn't on my satnav, so I didn't know there was one".... The sat nav is a guide, not a bible!

However, if your argument is that there wasn't proper signage at the location, then thats different, and worth fighting.

andyedwards
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by andyedwards » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Weve just had a £44 penalty as the Mrs used it twice on the same day and forgot to pay :x
I used it a few weeks ago and didnt realise you had to pay by midnight the next day. I phoned up (a day late) and they let me off with just the £2 charge.
Give them a call and try contest it
M235i Mineral grey
Auto / Pro Nav / HK / 19" 624m / Adap headlights / Adap suspension / Elec seats)

Previous;
BMW 120d E87 Msport white
BMW 320ci E46 Msport silver
Mitsubishi FTO GPX Mivec black
Vauxhall Astra Mk2 1.4 white

J0sephx
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by J0sephx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:57 pm

I use this bridge everyday & there are signs posted before joining & on the bridge.

There’s a sign before you join, there’s a lit up sign half way down the bridge & there is a sign as you’re leaving the bridge too.

I’ve personally thought the signs are easy to see but if you’re not familiar with the bridge then I guess you’d want to concentrate which direction you’re going.

Give them a call. See if they can waive the charge, I don’t think they will as they’ve already sent the penalty out to you.

They’re quite strict on it really from what I’ve heard.

Paul W
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Paul W » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:59 pm

I live in the catchment area so only pay £10 per car unlimited use per year

To be fair there are huge signs about the toll every 1 mile so no excuse

My father came over from Vienna last week and used it - call the number, enter your reg and pay the £2

Simple

Own fault - sorry that’s Harsh but the signs are bloody huge about tolls including Digital signs actually on the main cross over
Follow me on twitter @pwhittingham22 and flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/93528820@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2016 M135i,White, red leather,Comfort pack,sun protection,heated seats
2014 A6 BE,White,lots of extras

Paul W
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Paul W » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:02 pm

They are strict as it raised a £1M in revenue on fines alone in first month

The amount of engineering went into it someone had to pay but not through fines to be fair
Follow me on twitter @pwhittingham22 and flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/93528820@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

J0sephx
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by J0sephx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Paul W wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:02 pm
They are strict as it raised a £1M in revenue on fines alone in first month

The amount of engineering went into it someone had to pay but not through fines to be fair
Like yourself I also live in the catchment area so it’s nothing for us to worry about really until we have to renew our £10 yearly fee!

Paul W
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Paul W » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 pm

If anyone wants entertain follow the merseygateway on Twitter

Loads of people kicking off about the toll charges

CynicalRobot
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CynicalRobot » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Paul W wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 pm
If anyone wants entertain follow the merseygateway on Twitter

Loads of people kicking off about the toll charges
Oh thanks for that, some of the replies are brutal lol

The staff done seem that professional though - https://twitter.com/merseyflow/status/9 ... 3983394816
2016 BMW M135i LCI - Total Loss :cry:

MattR8700
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MattR8700 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:03 am

I’d forgotten to pay the dart charge after crossing the Dartford crossing a couple of weeks ago, I’d totally forgotten about it until a letter came through the post. It turns out for a first offence they let you pay the £2.50 and don’t fine you, which is nice of them!
- Black 2009 E87 118d MSport -

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”