Speaker cable

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Slacky
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Speaker cable

Post by Slacky » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:49 pm

Hey guys

Looking for some advice from any one who knows anything about sound systems. I’m wiring 4 ceiling speakers which are 8ohm each.

They’ll be from a switch so I can either choose living room or **SPAM** or both.

Having a look around at speaker cables there’s so many different types and some cost an arm and leg

Any one know a thing or two?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Speaker cable

Post by marco_polo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:54 pm

How many Watts are the speakers?

As a rough rule of thumb, the thicker the copper, the better. I usually go for a thick oxygen free cable, nothing excessively fancy though.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Slacky
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Slacky » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:56 pm

On the speakers it says power handling 10-50w

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm guessing we're not talking high-end speakers if they're ceiling mount, so pretty much any twin cable will do. 2.5mm multicore can be had for under a quid a metre.

You dont want tinny little 1mm, but there are all sorts of claims about gold plating etc. Unless you have a decent set of speakers and an even better amp, or you're working with sound broadcast or recording, you wont notice any difference from "fancy" wires. Just make sure the connectors are tight or preferably soldered to avoid the risk of arcing/noise. I think your choice of switch will have more impact than the cable; the size/shape of the internal contacts will dictate the quality of the connection, and therefore any impact on sound.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Slacky
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Slacky » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:44 pm

When you say 2.5mm do you mean twin and earth? I’ve got plenty of that laying around. I’ll be using qed wm15 switch but not sure how 6 2.5mm in a back box will fit.

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:51 pm

NEXANS SPEAKER CABLE 2-CORE X 47 STRAND 50M TRANSPARENT (5229T)

£35 at Screwfix.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

Slacky
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Speaker cable

Post by Slacky » Tue May 01, 2018 6:27 pm

Would this stuff be ok to use?

KabelDirekt 30m 2x2.5mm² Transparent OFC copper speaker cable with polarity marking – Ring – PRO series https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C79Z1FU/ ... 6AbKC41HBJ

Or this

DCSk 20 m - 2 x 2.5 mm² transparent loudspeaker cable I OFC copper cable for HiFi / audio I 99.99% insulated copper speaker cable I AWG 13 Role https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CLP9VLG/ ... 6Ab0BVEJXF

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Tue May 01, 2018 6:58 pm

Slacky wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:27 pm
Would this stuff be ok to use?

KabelDirekt 30m 2x2.5mm² Transparent OFC copper speaker cable with polarity marking – Ring – PRO series https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C79Z1FU/ ... 6AbKC41HBJ

Or this

DCSk 20 m - 2 x 2.5 mm² transparent loudspeaker cable I OFC copper cable for HiFi / audio I 99.99% insulated copper speaker cable I AWG 13 Role https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CLP9VLG/ ... 6Ab0BVEJXF
Either of those will do the job well enough.
Slacky wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:44 pm
When you say 2.5mm do you mean twin and earth? I’ve got plenty of that laying around. I’ll be using qed wm15 switch but not sure how 6 2.5mm in a back box will fit.
Nooooooo! :D You could, but you'll probably want the flexibilty of the others.

Thats a decent switch, shouldnt have any problems with that.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”