iPhone Battery Replacement Programme

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

ihadablackdog
Too Much Time To Waste Member

iPhone Battery Replacement Programme

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat May 12, 2018 8:07 pm

So we went into the Apple Store today and asked about the battery replacement programme for iPhones.

He said we needed a genius bar appointment for diagnostics, then, if needed, they replace the battery for £25 (think it was £25, might of been £20).

I thought they would do it at the reduced price regardless of what the diagnostics say? Is there a link somewhere to the terms?

My phone did the re-start thing yesterday and now shows 95% capacity and performance management is now active.

Debs still shows 100% (and performance management is not enabled) but the phone is just as old (both are vintage iPhone 6).

We'd like to get both batteries replaced, so have booked two genius bar appointments for next sat (9.30 and 9.50) cos they said they can then probably do it within 2hrs, so hopefully get it done same day.

Watchdog says they are using any fault with the phone as an excuse to charge to repair the fault before they will do the battery. My "mute" switch doesn't "click" into the mute position, and easily flips back to un-mute (where is does click into position). This wouldn't be a problem would it?

Has anyone had it done and is the offer still valid even if phone says battery is ok?
Last edited by ihadablackdog on Sat May 12, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyedwards
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: iPhone Battery Replacement Programme

Post by andyedwards » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Me and the Mrs both had "battery isuues" with my 6 and her 6s.
My 6 was lasting about 3 hours if i used it. I took it upon myself to put a new battery in before the £25 apple offer, really easy to do.
Anyway, didnt make a bit of difference.
The mrs phone was still in warranty so we went to a genius appointment and they tested the phone and said the battery was fine!!
They werent going to do anything at first blaming a software issue not a hardware issue but after speaking to the manager and looking at the performance and usage graphs it was clearly not lasting as long as it should.
They gave her a new a brand new phone there and then.
I asked about mine while we were there and had to say i had replaced the battery myself and guess what.. they wouldnt touch it because i had opened it up already.
I know its a pain in the a** but take a backup of your phone and then completely wipe your phone and start as a new phone not from the backup.
Stick a few apps on there and use the phone. This will give them an idea of whats going on and they cant blame software then.
You might get lucky and get new batteries right away but i think they will try and palm you off saying its a different piece of hardware causing the issue.
Good luck.
M235i Mineral grey
Auto / Pro Nav / HK / 19" 624m / Adap headlights / Adap suspension / Elec seats)

Previous;
BMW 120d E87 Msport white
BMW 320ci E46 Msport silver
Mitsubishi FTO GPX Mivec black
Vauxhall Astra Mk2 1.4 white

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:28 pm

They changed mine as soon as they saw the software said it had done the auto restart thing, even though it said the battery was about 98% max capacity.

They didn’t do Debs phone cos it hadn’t died on her, and the logs they retrieved showed high use at night when the batteries did drain...thats cos she plays games on it.

Ironically though the other day it went from 40% to power off!

barneyrubble

Post by barneyrubble » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 am

If it's done that then I would just go into Ismash and get the battery replaced.

Same price as apple. No wasting time and it'll be done within the hour without question
If it's got breasts or wheels - it's going to give you trouble

Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Did the same thing Thursday evening, was about 40% then died and came back saying about 10%, despite the battery app saying it can hold 100% charge.
Booked into apple store tomorrow at 3.30 but stuffed up cos they might not have time to change it before they close.

Wouldn’t take it anywhere else, just don’t want to. If they can change the battery for £25 (or £29 whatever it is) then are they using a genuine battery?

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”