Patio Advice - Indian Sandstone

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

James7491
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Patio Advice - Indian Sandstone

Post by James7491 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi all.

I’m currently preparing to have a new patio layed but cannot decide on slabs. I’m looking to go with Indian Sandstone but cannot decide on the colour.

Anyone got sandstone and wants to share some photos? Any opinions on sandstone?

Thanks.
Current: 2016 F20 125d M Sport - Alpine White | Heated Black Dakota Leather | Pro Media | Sports Auto | Driver Comfort Pack | Sun Protection Glass | Gloss Black M Performance Grills

Previous: 2007 E87 120d M Sport - Le Mans Blue

mouse140i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Patio Advice - Indian Sandstone

Post by mouse140i » Wed May 16, 2018 12:52 pm

We have Raj Green Indian. It's comparable to traditional Yorkstone but a lot cheaper. You can get 15m2 patio packs for well under a monkey.

I would go and see the stone in person to get a feel for the colour. Some suppliers may call it by a different name so just ring around and ask if they have any can look at.

It's natural so will have an amount of variation. It will also weather differently and sealing it (recommended) will have an impact on that too.

More importantly is getting it laid correctly to ensure are no long lines, the fall is correct and everything sat on a decent base. Otherwise you'll end up with green stains in your pointing or worse still dips in the base. I speak from personal experience...

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 am

I've done the front and back of my house with inexpensive sandstone flags, although I can't accurately recall the name or origin, but I think it was Indian. It's was a nice pinky/yellowy pack.

Sandstone is quite brittle, and I was advised in advance to allow x% extra for breakages, I didn't realise this meant careless transit damage. A lot of mine were broken, but the supplier weren't interested in the slightest.

I laid mine myself, cutting them easily with a large angle grinder. As mentioned above, make sure to lay them in a 'random' pattern with no long lines or it will look awful, which is harder than you might think! I worked mine out in advance, then laid from my design. Very important if you have a few broken ones you need to cut to use up.

I ran slightly short when finishing the back patio so bought a couple of extras from B&Q (top), which are smoother, and less prone to growing black lichen spots on my cheap internet sandstone (bottom) :

patio lichen.jpg
patio lichen.jpg (172.49 KiB) Viewed 383 times
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

barneyrubble

Post by barneyrubble » Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 am

My driveway and front approach to house is done with indian sandstone. It does need jetwashing a couple of times a year. I cannot remember the name of the colour though I'm afraid - sorry - not much use really!!
If it's got breasts or wheels - it's going to give you trouble

Black Sapphire Metallic M2 LCI

J0sephx
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by J0sephx » Fri May 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Ours is Indian sandstone. I’ll get some photos for you when I get the chance.
2006 E87 130i M Sport

James7491
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by James7491 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Thanks for the info. Anyone got some good pictures? The internet is full of photos, but I want to see “real” photos to see what it looks like after a while.
Current: 2016 F20 125d M Sport - Alpine White | Heated Black Dakota Leather | Pro Media | Sports Auto | Driver Comfort Pack | Sun Protection Glass | Gloss Black M Performance Grills

Previous: 2007 E87 120d M Sport - Le Mans Blue

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Sun May 20, 2018 8:23 am

Will lichen still grow on the surface if they are sealed properly ?
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”