Community SpeedWatch

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Community SpeedWatch

Post by Ezzra » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:08 am
Quite a few get abuse from motorists and with bad weather etc don't like to sit out, so some bright spark has come up with this idea:

https://store.autospeedwatch.org/

It's a unit a community can buy and set up on a post which does the same as those busy bodies sitting in high vis.

The difference is this isn't particularly noticeable and if you drive past it every day (e.g. commuting the same route) and speed, the police take note and will set up a trap to catch the repeat offenders.

You can view it a couple of ways, it will allow the occasionally person or someone who drifts accidentally over the limit off, but will aim to target the people who constantly break the limit.

Worth keeping an eye for these around villages etc.
Be a shame if someone decorated it with a 'necklace'

:D
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:55 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:51 pm
Barney McGrew wrote:
Quite a few get abuse from motorists and with bad weather etc don't like to sit out, so some bright spark has come up with this idea:

It's a unit a community can buy and set up on a post which does the same as those busy bodies sitting in high vis.

The difference is this isn't particularly noticeable and if you drive past it every day (e.g. commuting the same route) and speed, the police take note and will set up a trap to catch the repeat offenders.

You can view it a couple of ways, it will allow the occasionally person or someone who drifts accidentally over the limit off, but will aim to target the people who constantly break the limit.

Be a shame if someone decorated it with a 'necklace'

:D
Old tyres and fire lighters are the choice in our area.
2018 Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:18 pm

Saw some of the local coffin dodgers doing this near me this week - didn't realise it was an organised thing, just thought they had nothing better to do now that Jeremy Kyle is off the air. I've got mixed feelings because where they were sat is right before a school and people do tend to speed there, but the two biddies were positioned awfully, clearly trying to catch people out as they come round a blind corner and decellerate from national to 40.

I'd rather they were doing this than pootling around in their clapped out 90s Hondas doing 35 at all times though :lol:
E81 130i | Build Thread

RickN55

Post by RickN55 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 pm

mehtaman wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 am
What is the Community SpeedWatch and what powers do they have?

Coming of a B Road (60mph) and entering a populated area the speed limit drops to 30mph, within a few meters two guys in high vis popped out from behind a bush and logged my speed/number plate... as I was costing down to 30mph, rather than slamming on my brakes, I was probably doing around 40mph at that point.

Do they have the powers to give me a fine/points or worse e.g. police action?
They're basically just people who have nothing better do with their spare time, thinking holding a clip board and wearing an high vis jacket gives them a bit of authority. When really as said in previous comments all they can do is jot numbers down and get a snotty letter from the 5-O.
F21 2013 Alpine White M135i ZF8 PWG (Poor mans iDrive, Sun protection package + 20 percent tints, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, Hex trim, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)

NARD
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NARD » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:36 am

I knew a guy who got so fed up with them that he turned his nearside washer jet 90 degrees and gave them a spray as he passsed. Irony is that he was actually a copper!
Ofcouse I don't condone this action. :)

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:

I can see a new competitive sport being generated if they are that close to the road.

All you need is a passenger and a baseball bat, see how many hits it takes to dislodge the device. Bonus points if you manage to run over it as well!! :lol:
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

mehtaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mehtaman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:38 pm

ASB1960 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:48 am
I would be very interested in the exact wording of the naughty boy letters. There is precisely zero evidence as to the driver.
Here's the letter I got today... very lucky this time but will need to watch out in the long run.

Clearly the radar is pointing further down the road than their location and picked up my speed before I was near the wanna be police.
| Motech Eibach Pro | ITG Panel Filter | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 2 | PCW Exhaust | Wavetrac LSD | MP Airbox |
| Richter 200 Cell Sports Cat | MTC FMIC | BMS Charge Pipe | EBC Yellow | Forge Boost Pipe | TPi Spacers | GFB DV+ |

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Looks like we will need to invest in some of those James Bond revolving number plates.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:47 pm

mehtaman wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:38 pm
very lucky this time but will need to watch out in the long run.
Yup, lucky they weren't the BiB.

58 in a 30 zone would be a lovely day in court to get 6 Points, 1.5 week's wages fine, plus court costs. Or a ban, if you got a grumpy judge.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 pm

If multiple speeds like that are recorded the rozzers WILL be waiting around the corner.

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:48 pm

mehtaman wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:38 pm
ASB1960 wrote:
I would be very interested in the exact wording of the naughty boy letters. There is precisely zero evidence as to the driver.
Here's the letter I got today... very lucky this time but will need to watch

Clearly the radar is pointing further down the road than their location and picked up my speed before I was near the wanna be police.
Thank you. As I suspected no accusation against an individual. But expect a trap there pretty soon.

The use of exponentially is mildly amusing.
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:16 am

Your letter is pretty softly worded to be honest, especially considering the speed in a 30 zone.

I got one for doing 40 in a 30 and it was worded much more strongly and suggested that my car would be recorded as having been exceeding the limit in a speedwatch area, and should multiple 'offences' occur they may take it further.

Just a scare tactic of course because as above they have no proof of driver etc.

Agree with the above though, those speeds in a 30 would most likely prompt a real speed trap to appear if a lot of people are routinely doing it.
2017 M140i

Allanv
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Allanv » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:24 pm

ASB1960 wrote:

Of course this also means that in many cases the correspondence will go to a leasing company who are often registered keepers.

A caution: I understand that some forces are sending out S172 notices (request for driver info). Ensure it is complied with (even if accompanied by an NFA letter). Failure will likely cost 6 points approx 1,000 and a very unfriendly MS90.
Happy to scan mine in for you if you wish.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”