Stevenage meet goes bad....

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 56421
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Black GT86 pulls out in front of a speeding Blue 350Z = takes out 17 people. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... _laMio8iJw

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-49041165
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 9392
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 am

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Those poor folks clattered by the blue car on central reservation [despite being a less than great place to be standing TBH]
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 20991
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: ENGLAND.

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Octavius » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:27 pm

These street meets should be banned.
2018 Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Ezzra » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Nature and natural selection in progress.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Kerr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm

I don't think I've ever been to a car meet where everyone has managed to behave. People always overstep any level of acceptability and it was only a matter of time before this happened.

It's more luck that we haven't seen incidents like this more often.

Sam_M
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:18 am
Location: Sussex

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Sam_M » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:05 pm

I stopped going to the Ace Cafe Japanese meets years ago because of people acting like dicks.

I'm surprised we don't see more accidents like this
2011 E82 135i - 6MT - Sunroof - Harmon Kardon - ProNav - Xenons

mikeyscott
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:47 pm
Location: Never Never Land

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by mikeyscott » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Kerr wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm
I don't think I've ever been to a car meet where everyone has managed to behave. People always overstep any level of acceptability and it was only a matter of time before this happened.

It's more luck that we haven't seen incidents like this more often.
Why I don’t bother now, Wilton wake up was crap because of the idiots..
Gone - 135i E82 2011 AW, Birds B1 Dynamics Package

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Kerr » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:55 pm

mikeyscott wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:52 pm
Kerr wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm
I don't think I've ever been to a car meet where everyone has managed to behave. People always overstep any level of acceptability and it was only a matter of time before this happened.

It's more luck that we haven't seen incidents like this more often.
Why I don’t bother now, Wilton wake up was crap because of the idiots..
It's going to come the time that places don't allow, or at least turn a blind eye, groups of cars tuning up for meets and cruises. The police will be handing out ASBOS and forced to take harsh action. I believe they've already being doing so with some roads and places.

It has always been the same though. This kind of behaviour isn't a new thing at all. Put a bunch of guys together in a car and there is no limit to the stupidity that will be displayed.

The bit I don't get is they all know they are being recorded. Years ago we didn't have cameras and it was only people there who knew what went on. Now people act up in full knowledge they will be on YouTube. The police could have a field day with the footage on YouTube.

There is a lot of slagging "boy racers" off, but less likely cars are at it as well.

There was another incident that went viral last week too. A guy in a big American muscle car put the car(I read it wasn't his car) through a neighbours wall after doing a burnout.

https://youtu.be/1PCjlmBESbg


An expensive Lambo

https://youtu.be/-uIxyn0C38I

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 20991
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: ENGLAND.

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Octavius » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Groups of cars are banned between 10pm and 7am from all the superstore car parks in our area and as said, they are monitored by CCTV in case things get lively outside of those hours.
2018 Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Kerr » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:32 pm

Just Googled and found this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birmin ... 592990.amp

I was thinking back to a young member on E90Post who fell foul to this. He had been warned and told to stay away from parts of Birmingham.

Weeks later he was caught and he was sent a notification of intended prosecution for dangerous driving in the area. They were catching people on CCTV.

The guy total denied any knowledge of the events and claimed he drove like a saint.

Days later another member came forward as he had witnessed his antics first-hand. :lol:

Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Mr Whippy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:11 pm

It’s a difficult one.

I’ve been to small meets and organised some, even runs out for spirited drives in the hills, and in all cases the people were normal and nice (well, one chap had a mate with him with a beer at 9am on a Sunday morning drive out, but weird but hey)

Motorbikes and cyclists do the same too. Classic car rallies. On and on.

Where do you draw a line in law?


The way I see it. No one there was an innocent by stander.
They took risks as participants. The laws can’t be designed to protect idiots from themselves at the cost of making everything fun be illegal.


The real issue here was crap driving by the GT86.
The 350Z may well have been driving within the speed limit and doing nothing wrong.
Cripes, in theory the two cars involved may have been ‘normal’ people having a meet up doing not much wrong, and just bad observation by a driver, and people all over the road, caused the issue.


How do you formulate laws to not penalise people meeting up with cars nicely? You can’t.

And you can’t single out cars, and let bikers have their big meets with lots of antics. And cyclists doing the same etc.



What’s really needed is plod being more present out on the roads.
When I was a teenager (90s) you couldn’t drive around most cities in West Yorkshire on an evening without seeing trafpol left right and centre, and likely being stopped for random reasons.

No plod = some people take the p*ss.
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Kerr » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:11 pm
It’s a difficult one.

I’ve been to small meets and organised some, even runs out for spirited drives in the hills, and in all cases the people were normal and nice (well, one chap had a mate with him with a beer at 9am on a Sunday morning drive out, but weird but hey)

Motorbikes and cyclists do the same too. Classic car rallies. On and on.

Where do you draw a line in law?


The way I see it. No one there was an innocent by stander.
They took risks as participants. The laws can’t be designed to protect idiots from themselves at the cost of making everything fun be illegal.


The real issue here was crap driving by the GT86.
The 350Z may well have been driving within the speed limit and doing nothing wrong.
Cripes, in theory the two cars involved may have been ‘normal’ people having a meet up doing not much wrong, and just bad observation by a driver, and people all over the road, caused the issue.


How do you formulate laws to not penalise people meeting up with cars nicely? You can’t.

And you can’t single out cars, and let bikers have their big meets with lots of antics. And cyclists doing the same etc.



What’s really needed is plod being more present out on the roads.
When I was a teenager (90s) you couldn’t drive around most cities in West Yorkshire on an evening without seeing trafpol left right and centre, and likely being stopped for random reasons.

No plod = some people take the p*ss.
A cyclist doesn't pose anywhere near the risk of a speeding 1.5 ton car. Not really sure what groups of cyclists do to put people at risk.

The 350z was going way above the speed limit. The GT86 did pull out without knowing what was coming.

People weren't all over the road. Most of the people injured were on the footpath. You can't excuse crashing into people standing next to a public road due to drivers driving dangerously.

Laws apply to the conduct of drivers on the road. It's not a rally course.

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by TeenWolf » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:00 pm

No matter who or where and what car motorbike or whateva you will always get people like that.
Best to just ignore it and don't let it ruin your day :lol:

Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Mr Whippy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Kerr wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:30 pm
Mr Whippy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:11 pm
It’s a difficult one.

I’ve been to small meets and organised some, even runs out for spirited drives in the hills, and in all cases the people were normal and nice (well, one chap had a mate with him with a beer at 9am on a Sunday morning drive out, but weird but hey)

Motorbikes and cyclists do the same too. Classic car rallies. On and on.

Where do you draw a line in law?


The way I see it. No one there was an innocent by stander.
They took risks as participants. The laws can’t be designed to protect idiots from themselves at the cost of making everything fun be illegal.


The real issue here was crap driving by the GT86.
The 350Z may well have been driving within the speed limit and doing nothing wrong.
Cripes, in theory the two cars involved may have been ‘normal’ people having a meet up doing not much wrong, and just bad observation by a driver, and people all over the road, caused the issue.


How do you formulate laws to not penalise people meeting up with cars nicely? You can’t.

And you can’t single out cars, and let bikers have their big meets with lots of antics. And cyclists doing the same etc.



What’s really needed is plod being more present out on the roads.
When I was a teenager (90s) you couldn’t drive around most cities in West Yorkshire on an evening without seeing trafpol left right and centre, and likely being stopped for random reasons.

No plod = some people take the p*ss.
A cyclist doesn't pose anywhere near the risk of a speeding 1.5 ton car. Not really sure what groups of cyclists do to put people at risk.

The 350z was going way above the speed limit. The GT86 did pull out without knowing what was coming.

People weren't all over the road. Most of the people injured were on the footpath. You can't excuse crashing into people standing next to a public road due to drivers driving dangerously.

Laws apply to the conduct of drivers on the road. It's not a rally course.
Cyclists come racing down my high street on their weekend ‘tour de yorkshires’ and a number of people have lasting injuries from being run into.
Any road user has a responsibility to not be a nob head on a run out as a group, or time trialling etc.

What speed was the 350Z going?
What is the speed limit?

How can you pull out and not know what is coming? It’s a straight road.

The people on the footpath are spectating, not innocent bystanders.
I wouldn’t stand there. The risk is clear.
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Re: Stevenage meet goes bad....

Post by Kerr » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:04 pm

Mr Whippy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Cyclists come racing down my high street on their weekend ‘tour de yorkshires’ and a number of people have lasting injuries from being run into.
Any road user has a responsibility to not be a nob head on a run out as a group, or time trialling etc.

What speed was the 350Z going?
What is the speed limit?

How can you pull out and not know what is coming? It’s a straight road.

The people on the footpath are spectating, not innocent bystanders.
I wouldn’t stand there. The risk is clear.
Cyclists on the footpaths isn't right. They pose nowhere near the danger on the roads as cars.

There's a massive difference between a bunch on cycles and a speeding bunch of cars. I can't see how that can even be open to debate.

The limit is 40mph. Witnesses say the Nissan was doing 70mph.

The streets were busy and people were standing on the corner of the junction. Clearly the Toyota driver couldn't see well enough as he pulled directly in front of another car.

The show was a static display. There shouldn't have been anyone racing and those two cars weren't even part of the display.


Last time the M2 crashed in Aberdeenshire everyone on here stood back and said what an idiot he was. They all pointed out the risk he put all the spectators at. Nobody said the spectators put themselves at risk as every other car filmed left in a reasonable manner.

Now you have a reverse opinion that if you're there you are putting yourself at harms way? It's a public place on a public footpath for most of them. People might have been walking past and some would be unaware that some drivers would do something stupid.

The driver is in control of his car and he is responsible for his actions.

There will be only two people in this incident that are accountable for their actions. It won't be anyone standing next to the road. The two people on the road we not driving to the road conditions and are at fault for the injuries caused.

I'm genuinely shocked at reading some of threads on this. Rather than focussing on the actual problem people are banging on about cyclists, pedestrians, demanding free places to race their car and arguing their entitlement to have fun in their car.

There is plenty of places to have fun with their car. Why do they feel the need to pick retail parks with lots of obstacles and people?

No wonder the driving standard on the road is so bad when people refuse to accept responsibility and have a daft excuse for everything.

Post Reply

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”