Why would you do that to a Mini?

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Ezzra » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 am

Just passed one of the recent Minis as it was starting. Instead of the expected sweet thrum of a triple petrol engine, I get the coarse cough of a diesel.....

Why do people ruin a great little car with a bloody diesel engine?

Pathetic.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 20991
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: ENGLAND.

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Octavius » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:32 am

More torque and power from a small engine. Easier to tune.
2018 Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Ezzra » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:20 pm

Octavius wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:32 am
More torque and power from a small engine. Easier to tune.
More torque on paper maybe, but not on the road. As with all diesels they're hobbled by the tall gearing necessary to cover the required roadspeed. Power? Way behind the petrols, as usual with a diesel. Easier to tune? A diesel? Surely no?

Again. Why would you spoil a great little car with a diesel?
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 20991
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: ENGLAND.

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Octavius » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:50 pm

They must be good enough or they wouldn’t have been manufactured.
You may think they have spoiled the car but I guess many more don’t.
2018 Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Ezzra » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Octavius wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:50 pm
They must be good enough or they wouldn’t have been manufactured.
You may think they have spoiled the car but I guess many more don’t.
Good enough for what?
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by ASB1960 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:20 pm
Octavius wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:32 am
More torque and power from a small engine. Easier to tune.
More torque on paper maybe, but not on the road. As with all diesels they're hobbled by the tall gearing necessary to cover the required roadspeed. Power? Way behind the petrols, as usual with a diesel. Easier to tune? A diesel? Surely no?

Again. Why would you spoil a great little car with a diesel?
The petrol gearing is ridiculously tall too. Spends a huge amount of time in first.
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by markm240i » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 am
Just passed one of the recent Minis as it was starting. Instead of the expected sweet thrum of a triple petrol engine, I get the coarse cough of a diesel.....

Why do people ruin a great little car with a bloody diesel engine?

Pathetic.
I'd agree if the Mini was a little car, but it isn't.
Current - F21 M140i Auto, MPerf LSD, MPE, B12 Pro kit

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 20991
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: ENGLAND.

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Octavius » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:08 pm

If they brought back the original 1275 GT or Cooper S I would 100% buy one. One of my first cars was a Clubman 1100 and what enjoyment I got from it other than putting a new set of tyres on every month 🤣
2018 Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

User avatar
milleplod
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by milleplod » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:24 pm
Octavius wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:50 pm
They must be good enough or they wouldn’t have been manufactured.
You may think they have spoiled the car but I guess many more don’t.
Good enough for what?
Good enough for the people that buy them. The true measure of any car's viability is whether or not people buy them, end of. Manufacturers don't give two hoots about what anyone thinks about, for example, diesel engines in cars 'that should have a petrol engine'. If it sells, it's good enough.

Pete

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Ezzra » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 pm

milleplod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:49 pm
Ezzra wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:24 pm
Octavius wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:50 pm
They must be good enough or they wouldn’t have been manufactured.
You may think they have spoiled the car but I guess many more don’t.
Good enough for what?
Good enough for the people that buy them. The true measure of any car's viability is whether or not people buy them, end of. Manufacturers don't give two hoots about what anyone thinks about, for example, diesel engines in cars 'that should have a petrol engine'. If it sells, it's good enough.

Pete
No one has been able to answer my original question as to why you would choose a diesel over a petrol, thus ruining a good car.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

User avatar
milleplod
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by milleplod » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 pm
milleplod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:49 pm
Ezzra wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:24 pm


Good enough for what?
Good enough for the people that buy them. The true measure of any car's viability is whether or not people buy them, end of. Manufacturers don't give two hoots about what anyone thinks about, for example, diesel engines in cars 'that should have a petrol engine'. If it sells, it's good enough.

Pete
No one has been able to answer my original question as to why you would choose a diesel over a petrol, thus ruining a good car.
Because they know you're wrong and don't want to get into a pointless argument perhaps? :lol:

Pete

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Ezzra » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:43 pm

milleplod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:48 pm
Ezzra wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 pm
milleplod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:49 pm


Good enough for the people that buy them. The true measure of any car's viability is whether or not people buy them, end of. Manufacturers don't give two hoots about what anyone thinks about, for example, diesel engines in cars 'that should have a petrol engine'. If it sells, it's good enough.

Pete
No one has been able to answer my original question as to why you would choose a diesel over a petrol, thus ruining a good car.
Because they know you're wrong and don't want to get into a pointless argument perhaps? :lol:

Pete
Wrong on what bit?
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

User avatar
milleplod
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by milleplod » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:50 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:43 pm
milleplod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:48 pm
Ezzra wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:12 pm


No one has been able to answer my original question as to why you would choose a diesel over a petrol, thus ruining a good car.
Because they know you're wrong and don't want to get into a pointless argument perhaps? :lol:

Pete
Wrong on what bit?
OK, I'll play along! :roll: Folk who've chosen a diesel will have their own reasons for doing so, and won't think for one minute that the engine 'ruins a good car'. Ergo they'll think that your opinion that a diesel engine 'ruins a good car' is wrong. I did say it tongue-in-cheek, hence the :lol: at the end. :D

Pete

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Ezzra » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:22 pm

milleplod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:50 pm
Ezzra wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:43 pm
milleplod wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:48 pm


Because they know you're wrong and don't want to get into a pointless argument perhaps? :lol:

Pete
Wrong on what bit?
OK, I'll play along! :roll: Folk who've chosen a diesel will have their own reasons for doing so, and won't think for one minute that the engine 'ruins a good car'. Ergo they'll think that your opinion that a diesel engine 'ruins a good car' is wrong. I did say it tongue-in-cheek, hence the :lol: at the end. :D

Pete
Yeah, yeah I'm with you. But why? Why would you by a diesel? Because you like poor NVH? Is the monthly rental cheaper than a petrol? Do they like wearing those little plastic gloves each time they fill up?

I just dont get it. :roll:
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 20991
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: ENGLAND.

Re: Why would you do that to a Mini?

Post by Octavius » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:27 pm

Because Mini’s are getting so big they will end up being used as taxis. Don’t know why they are called Mini any more.
2018 Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

Post Reply

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”