Nextbase Dashcam

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

RickN55
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Nextbase Dashcam

Post by RickN55 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:31 pm

I currently have the 312GW in my car, Seen Halfrauds have the 612GW on offer for £109 from £250 atm wondering if it is worth upgrading if anyone as gone from a 312 to a 612 or does anyone own a 612 and if it's worth the upgrade? Seen a few mixed reviews on it but the parking mode that detects motion (people walking past I assume?) is what stands out to me where as the 312 parking mode doesn't do that only if it detects force from a collision. Also it does 4k recording but some reviews say it isn't very good at night in 4k?

https://www.halfords.com/technology/das ... k-dash-cam
F21 2013 Alpine White M135i ZF8 PWG (Poor mans iDrive, Sun protection package + 20 percent tints, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, Hex trim, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Nextbase Dashcam

Post by TeenWolf » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:53 pm

This won't help but I have the 312 and to me as long as it has HD or 2440p or whateva the next level up is for me it's fine.
I have checked my footage on a PC and looks good to me, it's easy to see a car hitting you..

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

RickN55

Post by RickN55 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:12 pm

The main thing I'm trying to suss out is if the motion sensor on the 612 picks people up walking/driving past unlike the 312 that only comes on if it feels an impact on the car movement.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

F21 2013 Alpine White M135i ZF8 PWG (Poor mans iDrive, Sun protection package + 20 percent tints, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, Hex trim, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by TeenWolf » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:33 pm

RickN55 wrote:The main thing I'm trying to suss out is if the motion sensor on the 612 picks people up walking/driving past unlike the 312 that only comes on if it feels an impact on the car movement.

Yeah I get you. But if hooked up to the car in the normal way, doesn't the dash cam just power off along with the ignition?

The Tesla's use their all round cameras for the parking situation now. I watched a YouTube video it looks so cool but I rather not know what happens when my car is parked as long as it doesn't get bashed lol

RickN55

Post by RickN55 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:10 pm

TeenWolf wrote:
RickN55 wrote:The main thing I'm trying to suss out is if the motion sensor on the 612 picks people up walking/driving past unlike the 312 that only comes on if it feels an impact on the car movement.

Yeah I get you. But if hooked up to the car in the normal way, doesn't the dash cam just power off along with the ignition?

The Tesla's use their all round cameras for the parking situation now. I watched a YouTube video it looks so cool but I rather not know what happens when my car is parked as long as it doesn't get bashed lol

Yes it powers off a couple of minutes after the car kills all power after locking and shuts down. But then the battery is fully charged from driving around so it should come on when it picks something up.

The Tesla system sounds great. I think within the next decade or so all cars will start to have Dashcam like cameras fitted as standard all round when new. A bit like buses do..

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by TeenWolf » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:15 pm

RickN55 wrote:
TeenWolf wrote:

Yes it powers off a couple of minutes after the car kills all power after locking and shuts down. But then the battery is fully charged from driving around so it should come on when it picks something up.

The Tesla system sounds great. I think within the next decade or so all cars will start to have Dashcam like cameras fitted as standard all round when new. A bit like buses do..

That makes sense actually.
I have seen some people do something cool with a small auxillary battery and I think they use blackvue dash cams to record when then car is parked up.
The tesla thing was only introduced via a software update lately. The wonders of new electric cars ha

RickN55

Post by RickN55 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Managed to get a bit of info about the 612 and the "motion sensor" thing is a bit of a con selling point as it works off the G Sensor the same as the old 312 does so it won't pick people up walking past or moving near it etc only if they hit the car which makes it move itself. Managed to get a reply from Nextbase themselves via email about it. Might still get the 612 as it's only £100 from Halfrauds use it as the front Dashcam and then use the 312 in the rear window.

Fairplay to Nextbase though for their speedy email replay being very honest and informative about it.

TeenWolf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by TeenWolf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:27 pm

RickN55 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:24 pm
Managed to get a bit of info about the 612 and the "motion sensor" thing is a bit of a con selling point as it works off the G Sensor the same as the old 312 does so it won't pick people up walking past or moving near it etc only if they hit the car which makes it move itself. Managed to get a reply from Nextbase themselves via email about it. Might still get the 612 as it's only £100 from Halfrauds use it as the front Dashcam and then use the 312 in the rear window.

Fairplay to Nextbase though for their speedy email replay being very honest and informative about it.
I was also thinking this.
Having a rear facing one.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”