135i FMIC install instructions

Providing market leading CAD / FEM optimized intercooler, manifold and downpipe upgrades. Proven on road and track since 1992.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Mark@Wagner-Tuning

Post Reply
User avatar
rjwojcik
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

135i FMIC install instructions

Post by rjwojcik » Thu May 02, 2013 7:07 am

Morning...

Could someone direct me to a set of instructions for installing the above, please.

In particular I'm interested if any other parts are required. I understand the standard FMIC uses some sort of disposable clip.

Thanks
Current: 2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
Gone: 2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87243
Gone: 2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black -
viewtopic.php?t=30839

User avatar
Wibbles
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 5093
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:53 pm
Location: Tyne & Wear

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by Wibbles » Thu May 02, 2013 7:31 am

First question is, which FMIC are you fitting?

If its a Wagner, then the clips are re-useable.
BR Diagnostics & Retrofits
Apple Carplay - ONLY £89 - BabyBMW Special offer!
FULL SCREEN CARPLAY NOW AVAILABLE!
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here
BRD on Facebook

User avatar
rjwojcik
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by rjwojcik » Thu May 02, 2013 8:06 am

Yeap, referring to the Wagner.

On the Forge site they recommend that the existing clips holding the hoses are cut.
Current: 2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
Gone: 2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87243
Gone: 2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black -
viewtopic.php?t=30839

User avatar
Wibbles
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 5093
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:53 pm
Location: Tyne & Wear

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by Wibbles » Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 pm

No cutting of hose clams is required with the Wagner, the clips pop out & are re-used when fitting the new IC.

Easy peasy! :D
BR Diagnostics & Retrofits
Apple Carplay - ONLY £89 - BabyBMW Special offer!
FULL SCREEN CARPLAY NOW AVAILABLE!
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here
BRD on Facebook

RichCranney
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2446
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by RichCranney » Thu May 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Wibbles wrote:No cutting of hose clams is required with the Wagner, the clips pop out & are re-used when fitting the new IC.

Easy peasy! :D
So what is involved fully? Do you need to remove bumper? Remove and screws? Is it just unclamp, unscrew and replace and reverse?

User avatar
rjwojcik
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by rjwojcik » Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 pm

RichCranney wrote:
Wibbles wrote:No cutting of hose clams is required with the Wagner, the clips pop out & are re-used when fitting the new IC.

Easy peasy! :D
So what is involved fully? Do you need to remove bumper? Remove and screws? Is it just unclamp, unscrew and replace and reverse?
First of all, thanks to Wibbles for his previous input.

I was hoping to see something like:

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/media/FMINT1M.pdf

or

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/media/FMINTBM.pdf

Potentially I may be getting mine fitted (if I get it on time :wink: ) mid way on my journey to the Romp. Getting any additional parts would be impossible due to the time of day it would be getting done and I'd be running to a tight deadline. So, I may even get a spare set of clips just in case they snap (or something). I wonder if there would be any other parts I should get to be available on stand by.

So, essentially I'm after a definitive set of instructions, so that a noob like me can understand the entire process and be prepared for anything that could go wrong.
Current: 2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
Gone: 2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87243
Gone: 2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black -
viewtopic.php?t=30839

User avatar
Wibbles
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 5093
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:53 pm
Location: Tyne & Wear

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by Wibbles » Thu May 02, 2013 12:58 pm

1: Remove the front under tray
2: Remove the spring clips from the hose connectors in the original FMIC.
3: Pull the hoses out as far as you can - you won't be able to disconnect them fully till you drop the IC
4: Un-bolt the IC - 2 torx head screws
5: drop the IC & remove the metal hoses - these will pop out when you drop the IC (hopefully)
6: with your head under the car, looking up - from the front - top of your head pointing towards the back of the car - where the IC used to sit, on the right (drivers) side , there is a triangular piece of plastic. Using a flat bladed screwdriver, push the clip in & push it to the lft - this will pop out.Keep this safe, you may want to re-fit the original IC at some point.
7: offer up the new FMIC - having an assistant helping you hold it up & moving the hoses out of the way helps, although I managed it on my own, it would have been a lot easier with help.
8: Pop the hoses into the FMIC outlets - this sounds easier than it is, you may need to man-handle them to get the key-ways lined up. Bolt the IC in using the original torx head bolts.
9: Refit the spring clips & make sure the hose connectors are pushed fully home & the clips are locked in - if not the hoses will blow off!
10:refit the under tray, flash your car with the appropriate Cobb mapping & enjoy!

If any of that is unclear, let me know & I will try to clarify.
BR Diagnostics & Retrofits
Apple Carplay - ONLY £89 - BabyBMW Special offer!
FULL SCREEN CARPLAY NOW AVAILABLE!
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here
BRD on Facebook

User avatar
rjwojcik
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by rjwojcik » Thu May 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Wibbles wrote:1: Remove the front under tray
2: Remove the spring clips from the hose connectors in the original FMIC.
3: Pull the hoses out as far as you can - you won't be able to disconnect them fully till you drop the IC
4: Un-bolt the IC - 2 torx head screws
5: drop the IC & remove the metal hoses - these will pop out when you drop the IC (hopefully)
6: with your head under the car, looking up - from the front - top of your head pointing towards the back of the car - where the IC used to sit, on the right (drivers) side , there is a triangular piece of plastic. Using a flat bladed screwdriver, push the clip in & push it to the lft - this will pop out.Keep this safe, you may want to re-fit the original IC at some point.
7: offer up the new FMIC - having an assistant helping you hold it up & moving the hoses out of the way helps, although I managed it on my own, it would have been a lot easier with help.
8: Pop the hoses into the FMIC outlets - this sounds easier than it is, you may need to man-handle them to get the key-ways lined up. Bolt the IC in using the original torx head bolts.
9: Refit the spring clips & make sure the hose connectors are pushed fully home & the clips are locked in - if not the hoses will blow off!
10:refit the under tray, flash your car with the appropriate Cobb mapping & enjoy!

If any of that is unclear, let me know & I will try to clarify.
Thank you.

What, no pictures? :lol:

Doesn't seem to bad, then.
Current: 2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
Gone: 2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87243
Gone: 2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black -
viewtopic.php?t=30839

User avatar
Wibbles
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 5093
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:53 pm
Location: Tyne & Wear

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by Wibbles » Thu May 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Yea, pictures would help, sorry :(
BR Diagnostics & Retrofits
Apple Carplay - ONLY £89 - BabyBMW Special offer!
FULL SCREEN CARPLAY NOW AVAILABLE!
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here
BRD on Facebook

User avatar
you loves it
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 909
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by you loves it » Thu May 02, 2013 2:17 pm

different intercooler but the basics are the same

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RichCranney
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2446
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by RichCranney » Thu May 02, 2013 7:45 pm

rjwojcik wrote:
RichCranney wrote:
Wibbles wrote:No cutting of hose clams is required with the Wagner, the clips pop out & are re-used when fitting the new IC.

Easy peasy! :D
So what is involved fully? Do you need to remove bumper? Remove and screws? Is it just unclamp, unscrew and replace and reverse?
First of all, thanks to Wibbles for his previous input.

I was hoping to see something like:

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/media/FMINT1M.pdf

or

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/media/FMINTBM.pdf

Potentially I may be getting mine fitted (if I get it on time :wink: ) mid way on my journey to the Romp. Getting any additional parts would be impossible due to the time of day it would be getting done and I'd be running to a tight deadline. So, I may even get a spare set of clips just in case they snap (or something). I wonder if there would be any other parts I should get to be available on stand by.

So, essentially I'm after a definitive set of instructions, so that a noob like me can understand the entire process and be prepared for anything that could go wrong.
Where you getting them fitted mate? Peters?

User avatar
rjwojcik
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: 135i FMIC install instructions

Post by rjwojcik » Thu May 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Maybe at Graham Martin in St Helen's. it will be on my way up the M6 to the romp.
Current: 2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
Gone: 2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87243
Gone: 2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black -
viewtopic.php?t=30839

Post Reply

Return to “Wagner Tuning”