M135i or 430/35d xDrive?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: M135i or 430/35d xDrive?

Post by marco_polo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 am

Ace, good to have experience under your belt. 317ftlb is roughly what an M135i makes as stock, so equally likely to behave/misbehave, more or less.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Confused_AsianMan

Post by Confused_AsianMan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 am

Matt Scarbro wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am
Confused_AsianMan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 am
Yeah mate, just more of what the power output is like? Any problems during your ownership you found over the duration with cars? The MPG figures you got back from each car cruising and booting? That type of stuff mate.

And I will be test driving both, when I do eventually get the money together. I’ve read up about possible tuning for both cars as well with a JB4 on the 1 series, and Celtic tuning do one for the 4. Crazy stats for a diesel 400bhp 500 ft-lb! Lots of goodies to tune the M135i as well..
Performance-wise the two are pretty similar, the M235i I drove back to back with my 435d FELT faster because of the stronger top end and I suspect the more linear delivery of the twin turbo 35d. Both in a very similar ball park though and very quick relative to normal cars.
More theatre from the 35i, but the 35d is a brilliant engine for a diesel.

MPG I tended to get 38-40 day to day in the 435d, with 45 on a run, in the M140i, I get 26-30 day to day and 35 on a run. Insurance-wise I suspect the 435d would be a good chunk cheaper too.

Only problem I had with the 4 was a clogged washer fluid pump, which was sorted under warranty, M140i no probs.

Both are astonishing cars and respond terrifically well to a tune, I really don’t think I could choose much between them. Neither in standard chassis form make you want to go out and rag the pants off them, they’re both more like very capable, comfortable, practical performance cars.
Not sure if it’s a pro or a con, but I think the temptation to modify would be greater with the 1.

Regards winter use, I’d just budget an extra grand for winter wheels and tyres for the 1. That will give it comparable useability in the snow/ice/cold.

Thanks for info mate, really helps and deeps it a bit more in depth what it’s like to own each car. Also I’ll have to take servicing into account as well as the cars I’m looking at are around 4 years old now, I have a very good mechanical friend so should be good for that. And 26-30mpg isn’t so bad for just localish driving (I assume that’s normal driving with no temptation of booting it at all :lol:) and 40 for the diesel is amazing too. The only thing with a diesel even regular booting you’ll always get decent mileage. And no mate it’s actually more to insure!£175 more it was for me, but I must confess I don’t have a sin free license (old me now paying for stupidity of my actions of younger me).

I do think my hearts more on the M135i, it’s just the looks of the 4 series look better IMO, looks more of a grown up car as well. And it wouldn’t be major performance mods at the start would need to get used to the power output first, maybe get a rear silencer and resonator delete. Cold starts would be a joy for my neighbor :lol:

And I’d take that into consideration the tires and wheels, the Pilot sport Cup 2’s are costly on these aren’t they?! My mate was saying around £245 each!
Last edited by Confused_AsianMan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confused_AsianMan

Post by Confused_AsianMan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am

ASB1960 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:04 am
Confused_AsianMan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 am
ASB1960 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:31 am
If you are looking at newish used from a dealer on PCP it is probably worth checking TRL's threads for new prices.

The used APR's are so carp that they often work out more expensive.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=109278

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=109283

Thanks for the link mate will look into it. And I know it’s harsh some of the APR rates certain dealers put on the cars nowa days. I’ve found a couple of independent dealerships and a few known ones, for a M135i and some of the deals aren’t too bad for now, but will have to think of the GFV, neg equity etc.. first car I’ll be financing so want to try get a good deal!
There are other lenders who will PCP at better rates whic may be worth looking at halifax for example did.

Equally about 3.5% apr is available over a long duration.

It may be counter intuitive but a loan over, say, 6 years at the better APR can work out about the same monthly and the amount owing at 4 years is considerably less (you lose the value of the guarentee). It takes more complex caluclations but there are plenty of calculators out there to help.

I did some examples some time ago which nay give a steer how to work it out.

https://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 5#p1156482

Thanks for the break down mate! Nice to hear that people have the best interests for people like me who are new to the finance game! Will take that into consideration feller thank you!

Confused_AsianMan

Post by Confused_AsianMan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 am
Ace, good to have experience under your belt. 317ftlb is roughly what an M135i makes as stock, so equally likely to behave/misbehave, more or less.
Yeah mate, I wouldn’t consider it otherwise. My younger me if I was to get one now when I was like 17/18 would probably write it off in instant :lol:

And yeah, wasn’t to shabby in the 120D, used to shift quite well! Also been told (for track use if I end up going more often) for the M135i a proper LSD is needed? Quaife seems to be the best option I’ve read, and people have said it’s a must have for one of these cars supposed to transform it to an entirely different beast

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 am

I'd recommend an LSD if you're going to use her on track, and daily in the winter.

Quaife is perfect for fast road use, I prefer a plated diff on track (I've got a BMW P Drexler). Either would make a noticable difference, neither is a bad choice.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Confused_AsianMan

Post by Confused_AsianMan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 am
I'd recommend an LSD if you're going to use her on track, and daily in the winter.

Quaife is perfect for fast road use, I prefer a plated diff on track (I've got a BMW P Drexler). Either would make a noticable difference, neither is a bad choice.

Yeah it’ll be my car all year round mate, and nice man! What’s the difference between the Quaife and the Drexler?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 am

Quaife is a TorSen with binding gears, Drexler is plated. Completely different ways of doing a similar job.

The Drexler reacts quicker and actually locks up a little, the Quaife directs the torque to the wheel with the most grip - as long as both are on the ground. Quaife is lower maintenance, the plated diffs could require rebuilding in old age / with abuse.

Both good.

Confused_AsianMan

Post by Confused_AsianMan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:28 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 am
Quaife is a TorSen with binding gears, Drexler is plated. Completely different ways of doing a similar job.

The Drexler reacts quicker and actually locks up a little, the Quaife directs the torque to the wheel with the most grip - as long as both are on the ground. Quaife is lower maintenance, the plated diffs could require rebuilding in old age / with abuse.

Both good.

Nice information to know mate. Wouldn’t be a first thing mod if I end up getting a M135i. Pricey things them proper LSD’s! Would get used to the power relatively easy I presume with me coming from a 120D. See what my options are the more I go into ownership with the car, like the sounds of JB4, decat, resonator delete and Mpe exhaust then a proper LSD on one of these things in the foreseeable future with some carbon fibre exterior bits! Already looking for things to buy for it and I haven’t even got the car yet! :lol:.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 am

I'd personally do the chassis first (LSD, dampers, braces, etc) before adding more power.

Tricky401

Post by Tricky401 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 pm

if your only 23 it’s best to go for the m135 imo

plenty of time left in life for a saloon/gran coupe.

you won’t be able to buy a 3l rear drive hatch anymore soon so enjoy while you can as doubt you will buy one 4 years after the 4gc
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

Confused_AsianMan

Post by Confused_AsianMan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:33 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 am
I'd personally do the chassis first (LSD, dampers, braces, etc) before adding more power.

See what’s what mate when I eventually get round to it. I mean I think I’ve answered my own question but it’s been nice to hear off the community and yourself also some good info about the car👊🏾.

Confused_AsianMan

Post by Confused_AsianMan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Tricky401 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 pm
if your only 23 it’s best to go for the m135 imo

plenty of time left in life for a saloon/gran coupe.

you won’t be able to buy a 3l rear drive hatch anymore soon so enjoy while you can as doubt you will buy one 4 years after the 4gc
Yeah was thinking it deep down mate. I mean I love the sound of a 435i Gran Coup but trying to find one within my budget, it’s unrealistic for me to say I’ll get one. Unless one pops up on the market soonish, then will be a 135i.

And you’d be surprised mate as the car after this (get ready to call me a naive fool) is a E60 M5. I know all about the dangers and potential issues, Vanos systems, rod bearings, throttle body acutators, SMG pump, the clutch, the 7-10 MPG fuel return.. Etc.. ideally would be looking at a BMW full service history one/approved used one so I could try get a BMW warranty. Would love an estate one too, always been my dream car. Friend of mine who’s 24 has one, has a mondial warranty on his told him good luck as I’ve read bad reviews about them, but so far he said no issues in around 10 months ownership. He has an X-pipe, and an Eisenmann Race exhaust and I literally fell in love!

Ry_B
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ry_B » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 pm

If only driving 5 miles each way, the engine won’t be warm so you won’t be able to use the performance of any of the cars mentioned
M235i in mineral white - Auto. Extremely well specced :mrgreen:

Confused_AsianMan

Post by Confused_AsianMan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Ry_B wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 pm
If only driving 5 miles each way, the engine won’t be warm so you won’t be able to use the performance of any of the cars mentioned

You’d think that, more likely to be out in it all the time pal. I work nights, so plenty of time in the day for the engine to reach its core tempature.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”