M Performance Springs on Adaptive M235i review

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Lambster, Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin

Liono
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

M Performance Springs on Adaptive M235i review

Post by Liono » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:21 pm

So just over two weeks ago I had the M Performance Springs kit inc bumpstops fitted to my Adaptive M235i. I thought I'd give my impressions and photos for those that are interested.

I bought the car last year with 15k miles on the clock and it had the Standard Springs on the car. To me the arch gap was too much for an M Sport car. The newer F series seem to have bigger gaps to the older e92 for example. So I wondered about putting different springs on the car. I knew the car had had ACS springs on beforehand with the first owner, but was worried these would be too low given the MP splitter and the speed bumps I have to negotiate during the week as well as keeping the Adaptive shocks from failing. I also realised that the 15mm lowering quoted by ACS and H & R is more like 20mm. So I decided after much deliberation to go for MP Springs with their quoted 10mm.

As it happened I stumbled across some second hand MP Springs and bump stops here on the forums, which after double checking the part numbers against my VIN were an exact match! So I bought these. I only had to buy the rear bump stops.
So fast fwd to fitting, I have to say initially I was rather disappointed when I picked the car up from the garage as the car didn't look like it had lowered and the 2 mile drive home didn't reveal any difference in how the car rode!

However 2 weeks and 500 miles later I can indeed report that the spring’s performance are brilliant and just what I was after! The car is much more planted and does not feel unsettled or lean as much in corners and has actually given slight weight to the steering which I thought was way too light in comfort mode. Whereas before I was constantly switching from Comfort mode to Sport and back again never satisfied with either mode, I now predominantly stay in comfort mode and switch to sport when really pushing on. When sitting in the car you really feel the lowering effect, even if just a few mm! The way the springs behave are a lot like my previous cars Eibach Pros and indeed I have read these are perhaps made by Eibach. Comfort is very slightly compromised, but not by a huge amount and IMO negligible.

After doing some photos compare and looking at the before and after measurements I can indeed confirm the lowering is there albeit mild and to be honest I didn't want the car too low anyway with using it for family now and then. In conclusion I am very satisfied with the results and would thoroughly recommend!

So here are the photos and before and after measurements.

M Performance Springs:

M Sport Springs:

M Sport:
Not quite on level ground:

M Performance (full tank):

Boot Full + Full Tank:

Details:
Code: SZP5A

MP Suspension PN: 33502411196

MP Springs:
31 33 6 860 630
33 53 6 860 619

Front Bumpstops: 31336859768
Rear Bumpstops: 33536859769

Std Springs:
31 33 6 865 634
33 53 6 865 637

Here are my height measurements currently from hub centre to wheel arch with a full tank of fuel:

Standard M Sport height (RHD car):
NSF: 35.8cm
OSF: 35.3cm
NSR: 35.7cm
OSR: 35.5cm

M Performance height (RHD car);
NSF: 35cm (-8mm)
OSF: 34.9cm (-4mm)
NSR: 34.8cm (-9mm)
OSR: 34.9cm (-6mm)

Now I think the reason the height change is larger for the NSR and also smaller on the OSF is because I had an anti-roll bar drop link failure (ball joint fell out of rod when being removed from car) causing the OSF to “sag” which allowed the NSR to be slightly higher than usual. Whilst having the MP Springs fitted I had new Front Drop Links fitted and as a result you can see the drop heights are more even on the front and rear axles.

The reason for the droplink failure I believe was that the OSF had an ACS spring fitted whilst the others were all M Sport springs! Weird I know! I know the car was previously fitted with ACS springs all round and someone obviously only replaced 3 springs before exchanging at the Dealer! Gotta love Approved Used Cars inspections! So the front droplinks were constantly preloaded.This was another reason for not going ACS or lower than MP Springs as clearly this has caused premature failure of the drop links.

Useful links and threads:

PI (Process Instruction): SZ_143_08_15 for SZP5A (M P Suspension) is referenced:

https://www.parts.bmwgroup.com/infodok/ ... _08_15.pdf

The above is specifically for the Adaptive suspension

Also Fitting instructions:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attac ... 1518368146

Aux Damper kit (PN: 33502411196 [Adaptive])

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 502411196/

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=03_2923

Also the following price list, shows MP Spring and damper part numbers:
https://www.parts.bmwgroup.com/infodok/ ... g_list.pdf

Page 9

Threads I’ve found useful:

2 reviews claim the LCi has a suspension tweak:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=77508&sid=48c1be2c ... 9&start=60

BMW M performance Suspension for M235i adaptive on a M140i:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=93486&start=60

VDC coding for MP suspension:
https://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=87171

CONFIRMED: Bilstein Dampers for Adaptive F2x
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=113779&start=75

Additional M Performance suspension pictures of the 2 series:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/south-af ... uth-africa

https://www.bmwblog.com/2014/07/03/2014 ... hotoshoot/
https://www.bmwblog.com/2014/06/27/awes ... nce-parts/
https://www.bmwblog.com/2014/08/25/bmw- ... o-gallery/

big thanks to Paul CS & cwgk91 for their helps and my queries

Apologies for the huge post! Hope that helps someone thinking of MP springs.
Last edited by Liono on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manual 2015 M235i, Estoril Blue, 624M alloys, MP Springs, Adpt Shocks, MP Kit, MP interior, MPE, Carbon int, Adapt HL, HK, Heated SW, SF PFinserts
Previous: E92 335i, Alpina, GIAC tune, Eibach+Koni FSD, Whiteline SF bushes; Honda DC5; Audi S4 V8; R21T

deanw
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: M Performance Springs on Adaptive M235i review

Post by deanw » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:35 pm

Great write up!

Do you know if they still sell these still at dealers? I rang my dealer at time of car purchase in 2017 and be said they weren’t available!

I’d love to get these on my car

Liono
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Liono » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 am

hi deanw

many thanks!

Yes the dealers still offer this kit. I actually got a quote from Cotswolds late last year and for my car and VIN, came to about £417 for the springs and aux bumpstops.
Manual 2015 M235i, Estoril Blue, 624M alloys, MP Springs, Adpt Shocks, MP Kit, MP interior, MPE, Carbon int, Adapt HL, HK, Heated SW, SF PFinserts
Previous: E92 335i, Alpina, GIAC tune, Eibach+Koni FSD, Whiteline SF bushes; Honda DC5; Audi S4 V8; R21T

schaeffs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by schaeffs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

Fantastic write up! I too have my local dealer saying they don't offer anymore for the M135i. Does anyone know the exact part codes for the M135i? - I will badger them again...

Paul CS
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Paul CS » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 am

Yes a brilliant informative write up. Glad I could help.

For those struggling to find the kit, give Phil a call at Cotswold BMW. He was super helpful and gave me a nice discount too.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

Mr Kirk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mr Kirk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am

Paul CS wrote:Yes a brilliant informative write up. Glad I could help.

For those struggling to find the kit, give Phil a call at Cotswold BMW. He was super helpful and gave me a nice discount too.

Paul
I’ve just put a price request in the sponsors forum.

Liono
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Liono » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 pm

I've fixed the links in "Useful links and threads:" now, as they were broken.

Fitzy2008
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Fitzy2008 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:06 pm

I sold you the springs and I must say I thought they were great too. I've been in a car with other lowering kits I thought they looked the best and felt the best on the road. Best mod from a cost point of view I tried on my car.

Liono
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Liono » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Yes, many thanks Fitzy2008, a great buy!

Didn't you fit KW coilovers after taking these springs off yours? Surely they were better in terms of handling and compliancy?

I'm happy regardless of the more expensive options out there. When my shocks do eventually go in a few years (lets hope it's that long away) I may try the B4 damptronic shocks.

Fitzy2008
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Fitzy2008 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:25 pm

Yes I fitted kw street comforts which were better for comfort and found more grip at the rear. But body roll and and steering feel were slightly better on the m performance springs, but you could probably adjust it to suit on the kw's. The kw were better but at a cost! value for money the springs are better if that makes sense! I've sold the kw coilovers now as I bought a new car another m140i with adaptive. I got to honest and I might be the only one who thinks this but I prefer the passive set up. I can't put my finger on it just seems too soft in comfort and too hard in sport. Should have kept the springs in hindsight! But I would definitely recommend the springs for value overall.

Liono
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Liono » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Yes that was exactly my view on the standard M Sport springs with adaptive on my M235i which are the same springs as the M140i. As you say too soft in comfort. The M Performance springs IMHO sort that issue out, that's why I'm very happy! I guess BMW have the M sport springs as a compromise to offer a greater level of soft/comfort in comfort mode and rely upon the the shocks to stiffen things up.

The two cars I test drove before buying mine were both passive and I found the ride as a daily far too harsh coming previously from Koni FSD shocks. The adaptive with MP springs is a good compromise.

deanw
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by deanw » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Liono wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 am
hi deanw

many thanks!

Yes the dealers still offer this kit. I actually got a quote from Cotswolds late last year and for my car and VIN, came to about £417 for the springs and aux bumpstops.
How bizarre! It was them who told me they don’t them for my car anymore!

I’ll give them another try

Liono
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Liono » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:28 pm

deanw wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:11 pm
Liono wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 am
hi deanw

many thanks!

How bizarre! It was them who told me they don’t them for my car anymore!

I’ll give them another try
It was about September / October time so maybe things have changed since then. If they don't you can still buy the individual parts (see my post for part numbers) from the likes of Schmiedmann in Germany etc i believe.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/catn-ol? ... 0860%20630

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/catn-ol? ... 0860%20619

MrPocketRocket
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by MrPocketRocket » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Hello all

I was hoping some of you could confirm the drop is indeed 10mm.

A reading from arch to centre cap would be most helpful please

If you could also state what model/f20/f21 and what box auto/manual, that would also be super!

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BMW M140i - 5 Door - Coral Red Leather - Mineral Grey - M Performance Exhaust (Carbon Tips) - M Performance Side Decals - M Performance Grills - Front Silencer Delete - Carbon Front Splitter/Side Skirts/Side Mirrors/Rear Diffuser/Rear Spoiler

Liono
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Liono » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Readings are mentioned in my review above. My car is an F22 manual. As you can see the drop is a little less than 10mm.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”