LSD

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Rich196, Lambster

Tom314
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: LSD

Post by Tom314 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:24 pm

Carlos118d wrote:Just been to Stratstone BMW Derby for a quote for the M Performance LSD. £2300 fitted, any good?

I also spoke to one of the technicians and he said there’s no need for any settling, He said drop the car off for 8 and you can pick it up at lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cotswolds quoted £2080 and mines book in with them in about 3 weeks. They did say they need it all day which is a little annoying as it's apparently a 2 hour job....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

Carlos118d

Post by Carlos118d » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Tom314 wrote:
Carlos118d wrote:Just been to Stratstone BMW Derby for a quote for the M Performance LSD. £2300 fitted, any good?

I also spoke to one of the technicians and he said there’s no need for any settling, He said drop the car off for 8 and you can pick it up at lunch.

Cotswolds quoted £2080 and mines book in with them in about 3 weeks. They did say they need it all day which is a little annoying as it's apparently a 2 hour job....

Just booked mine in, she said they book it in all day but should be ready sooner as it’ll be the first job of the day.

Pellepirat
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Pellepirat » Wed May 08, 2019 6:42 pm

The Quaife diff is mounted!

Like most says it´s transform the car. Now the Dervtech tune also comes in the right place, before I have to take it easy on throttle..the car was all over the place. The grip is 100 times better, and more straight forward, not this twisting side to side. Absolutely the best mod for me. Sliding is fun and very easy to control.
M140 Sunset Orange 2018. M719 Jet Black. Maxton sideskirts and spoiler, Ksb front splitter, RK Tuning diffuser, TPI spacers, MHD Stage 1, BCS mid pipe +MPE

Sdj
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Sdj » Sat May 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Mine's coming off on Wednesday before I sell the car 😕
Located at LE9 if anyone wants it. Low mileage M Performance 👍

Tom314
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tom314 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:25 pm

So if anyone is interested, mine is currently in with cotswolds having an LSD fitted (enjoying a day out in the Cotswolds without the kids ), it's about 5 hours in total, 1 hour to let the exhaust cool, 2 hours to fit the LSD which apparently requires removing the exhaust and 2 hours to let the loctite on the propshaft nut to set.
(Edited to changed bolt to nut...)

Last edited by Tom314 on Wed May 15, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carlos118d

Post by Carlos118d » Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Had my m performance LSD done today, took just over 2 hrs and they fitted my m performance spoiler for free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stueys
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Stueys » Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I went Quaife with the Birds B2 kit (mainly after this thread!). Only had a 30 minute drive in the car so far but it's immediately noticeable. Significantly more traction and the car is drivable like a proper RWD car now. The Birds kit lives up to it's billing as well ;-)
M240i + Birds B2 + Quaife LSD

Tom314
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tom314 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:16 pm

I would have also preferred the quaife but wasn't that wedded to it and insurance was easier and cheaper with a BMW fitted option.
As has been said, it gives a lot more traction. The only thing you need to be careful with is booting it out of a junction, if you get the back spinning it'll continue round when you straighten up. I've only done 1 journey with it so far on mostly motorways but it's definitely a big improvement!

Carlos118d

Post by Carlos118d » Wed May 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Did you declare the lsd to your insurers?

I’ve notified my insurer of my MPerformance LSD and spoiler, it cost me an extra £50. I spent 33 mins trying to get them to understand what an LSD was, when my documents came through by email it was listed as a steering change!

Tom314
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tom314 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Carlos118d wrote:Did you declare the lsd to your insurers?

I’ve notified my insurer of my MPerformance LSD and spoiler, it cost me an extra £50. I spent 33 mins trying to get them to understand what an LSD was, when my documents came through by email it was listed as a steering change!

Yep, admiral, no extra for mpLSD, wouldn't insure for a non BMW fit option and they understood what one was straight away (was pleasantly surprised!) Also no extra for non standard wheels and a MPE!

Stueys
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Stueys » Wed May 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Tom314 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:32 pm
Carlos118d wrote:Did you declare the lsd to your insurers?

Yep, admiral, no extra for mpLSD, wouldn't insure for a non BMW fit option and they understood what one was straight away (was pleasantly surprised!) Also no extra for non standard wheels and a MPE!

I was with Admiral, but yep, got same story on non-bmw fitted options. As I was going to do the suspension anyway I was out on that criteria. Ended up moving insurance company, they covered the options and took 40% off the premium I was paying Admiral. Stupidly I think my insurance was an auto-renewal from last year, in my experience auto renewals always hit you.

Tiberius
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tiberius » Wed May 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Pellepirat wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Like most says it´s transform the car. Now the Dervtech tune also comes in the right place, before I have to take it easy on throttle..the car was all over the place. The grip is 100 times better, and more straight forward, not this twisting side to side. Absolutely the best mod for me. Sliding is fun and very easy to control.
That's amazing to hear. I was planning to mod my car at the end of the 4 year PCP agreement but this thread has made me reconsider that. Why drive an imperfect car for years when an LSD can make you love it more from day one?

It reminds me about when I ditched RTF on my X3. I was kicking myself in the teeth for not having done so sooner as it transformed the ride. No more tramlining, car was less fidgedy and bump over small imperfection and the smoother ride enabled me to run higher tire pressure which improved steering response. A set of 4 non-RRT cost me £950 + 40 for full geometry but it was well worth it.

I don't want to make the same mistake with the M140i and will now strongly consider the BMW LSD in the first 6 months of ownership. My local roads have numerous roundabouts, elevation change, crests and rough b-roads so an LSD will benefit me and make the car safer from the word go.
On order:
M140i SE, 5d, white, Adaptive, Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, Front&Rear PDC, Reversing Camera
X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors
Current car:
F25 X3 20d xLine

Stueys
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Stueys » Wed May 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:10 pm
Pellepirat wrote:

That's amazing to hear. I was planning to mod my car at the end of the 4 year PCP agreement but this thread has made me reconsider that. Why drive an imperfect car for years when an LSD can make you love it more from day one?

It reminds me about when I ditched RTF on my X3. I was kicking myself in the teeth for not having done so sooner as it transformed the ride. No more tramlining, car was less fidgedy and bump over small imperfection and the smoother ride enabled me to run higher tire pressure which improved steering response. A set of 4 non-RRT cost me £950 + 40 for full geometry but it was well worth it.

I don't want to make the same mistake with the M140i and will now strongly consider the BMW LSD in the first 6 months of ownership. My local roads have numerous roundabouts, elevation change, crests and rough b-roads so an LSD will benefit me and make the car safer from the word go.
Do it sooner. Ultimately the cost isn’t going to change so delaying just means you’re paying the same cash to use something For less time than you could. If you’re worried about warranty then fit the bmw option, the cost differential is broadly a wash once you account for being able to resell it when you move the car on.

Tiberius
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tiberius » Wed May 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Stueys wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:21 pm
Tiberius wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:10 pm
Pellepirat wrote:

Do it sooner. Ultimately the cost isn’t going to change so delaying just means you’re paying the same cash to use something For less time than you could. If you’re worried about warranty then fit the bmw option, the cost differential is broadly a wash once you account for being able to resell it when you move the car on.
Makes perfect sense. The happier I will be with my M140i, the less time I will spend day dreaming about an M2 or M4 which on finance with the options I want, are nearly twice as expensive as the M140i SE and neither has a hatch or 5 doors.

I've sent my dealer a request about cost and fitting.
On order:
M140i SE, 5d, white, Adaptive, Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, Front&Rear PDC, Reversing Camera
X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors
Current car:
F25 X3 20d xLine

C8UER
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by C8UER » Fri May 17, 2019 11:21 am

I have a question if someone can help please?

- For the Quaife diff, Litchfield have quoted about 2-3 days work to fit this as it requires a “lot of machining”?

-For the M Performance diff, Cotswold have quoted a day to fit. This includes 3 hours to actually fit it and around 2 hours for the bonding agent on the seals to set.

So why is there such a big difference in time in fitting these?

My thinking at the moment is that whilst the Quaife is slightly cheaper (maybe about £300 or so) the M Performance option is actually more appealing. Mainly because it can be done while I wait and saves me having to leave the there, but also because it fully warranty approved.

From what people have said also, there is no difference in the feel within the car of how these both operate. They both give great traction and transform the car.

So I’m now very much swaying towards the M Performance diff…..
Motech M140i Car 34

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”