Car Security

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis, Lambster

EDR

Car Security

Post by EDR » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:53 pm

After dealing with a burglary and car theft, finally got a 2017 M140 on the way, what's the forum consenus on security options? Ghost, Pandora, Clifford Blackjax? Any real life experiences with any of these? Good or bad?

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Car Security

Post by marco_polo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Ghost are popular on here, as are good old fashioned steering wheel mechanical locks (which also help prevent the common airbag+steering wheel theft).

Hiding your car is far more important though, out of sight - out of mind. Garage if possible, or street-park so they can't link car with the correct house. Leave it on display on your drive and your home is more likely to be invaded for the fob sadly.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:28 pm

The point about parking on the driveway is good and something people miss.

I park on the drive but ramped my home security up as well as the car (and also have a dog) so hope I've done all I can.

The car has Ghost and a disklok too.

It's definitely something you need to take seriously with any decent car these days - also don't choose comfort access, or if you do, put the keys in a faraday pouch to prevent the keyless entry theft.
2017 M140i

mehtaman
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by mehtaman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 pm

There's a USB charger in the passenger footwell... you can look into getting a cheap android phone and pay as you go sim card.
Then download a GPS location app and have a make-shift GPS tracker in the interim.

Tuck the phone up behind the glove box or remove the cabin air access panel to hide it in there.

Police office advised me to get a crook lock to stop key relay attacks but thats probably no use if they break in and take all the keys.

I've looked into Ghost but not got further than researching at the moment.
| Motech Eibach Pro | ITG Panel Filter | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 2 | PCW Exhaust | Wavetrac LSD | MP Airbox |
| Richter 200 Cell Sports Cat | MTC FMIC | BMS Charge Pipe | EBC Yellow | Forge Boost Pipe | TPi Spacers | GFB DV+ |

Supshon

Post by Supshon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:34 pm

I would like to get a ghost fitted but worried about it making the bmw warranty void if there was a problem with the the electrics

RickN55

Post by RickN55 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Disklok for sure! Sure if they really want it they'll still take it but it's an extra deterrent that might make them think "Ahh can't be bothered messing with that onto the next" Plus a lot of the keyless thefts they just want to hack the key signal and be away in a few seconds not spend a couple of minutes trying to get a Disklok off. So defo worth it imo. Never leave mine with out it on..
Attachments
IMG_20170515_172523_017.jpg
IMG_20170515_172523_017.jpg (116.19 KiB) Viewed 712 times
F21 2013 Alpine White M135i ZF8 PWG (Poor mans iDrive, Sun protection package + 20 percent tints, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, Hex trim, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)

EDR

Post by EDR » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:49 pm

RickN55 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:48 pm
Disklok for sure! Sure if they really want it they'll still take it but it's an extra deterrent that might make them think "Ahh can't be bothered messing with that onto the next" Plus a lot of the keyless thefts they just want to hack the key signal and be away in a few seconds not spend a couple of minutes trying to get a Disklok off. So defo worth it imo. Never leave mine with out it on..
Yeah disklok seems good. Do you use a protector underneath?

SO8
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SO8 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 pm

I use a Stop Lock ... I have a Disklok but it is huge and I figure the StopLock Pro is going to put someone off just as much as the heavier Disklok.

I also have a Pandora alarm and immobiliser ... if they get past the Stoplock and the Pandora they are welcome to it !

st3v3
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by st3v3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Supshon wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:34 pm
I would like to get a ghost fitted but worried about it making the bmw warranty void if there was a problem with the the electrics
I had this thought myself, but I haven't has any problems with ghost in 12 months of having it fitted.

I also have diskloc and a few other little secrets ;)

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:44 am

There was a thread in this forum where someone with a ghost had issues with a battery drain error, as do I and in their case BMW blamed the Ghost, however I am not sure what the final outcome was. Think that was also on an M2. Thing is BMW are talking balls as I had my ghost well over 12 months before I started getting the message and personally think it’s my nextbase dashcam which I’ve now unplugged and the battery drain error has pretty much gone.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:02 am

I've had my ghost on a previous car and had it moved to the M140 straight after getting it. They don't do anything to the battery as they sit passively on the canbus.

I've had mine serviced / software updated etc and they had no issue at all with the ghost being on.
2017 M140i

SO8
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SO8 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 am

Dash cams kill batteries if on all the time (aka Blackvue with Magic Pro parking knock thing). BMW's are v sensitive to battery drain. I was told when I had a problem it was my dash cam so had it rewired to it's own huge battery ... but still having the odd issue !

RickN55

Post by RickN55 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 am

EDR wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:49 pm
RickN55 wrote:
Yeah disklok seems good. Do you use a protector underneath?
Yes I use two. I have the normal disklok steering wheel cover (which is pretty useless on it's own on these thick leather wheels) And then I put this ebay jobby on top of the disklok one. Works a treat keeping it mark and dent free.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-DISKLO ... SwLqdboKWH
F21 2013 Alpine White M135i ZF8 PWG (Poor mans iDrive, Sun protection package + 20 percent tints, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, Hex trim, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)

sir richard large
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by sir richard large » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:53 pm

RickN55 wrote:

does that come in alcantara? :lol:

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:08 pm

RickN55 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 am
And then I put this ebay jobby on top of the disklok one. Works a treat keeping it mark and dent free.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-DISKLO ... SwLqdboKWH
I got one of those too after seeing them on here. Mines a bit of a tight fit and takes some work to get it over the wheel, but does the job and as you say stops any marks.
2017 M140i

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”