All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

MattM140i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Paint bubbling

Post by MattM140i » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:29 am

Morning all,

I was out cleaning the car yesterday and noticed a small bubble appearing in the paintwork, just under the rear wiper on the boot lid, the bubble isnt massive but it's noticable to me and I'm kind of worried there are others which I either can't see or just haven't noticed yet.

Has anyone had experience with this themselves, and if so how are BMW when it comes to warranty work?

The car is a 66 plate M140i with 22000 on the clock. There's no obvious damage around the area which I've noticed it so a bit baffled as to how it's got there.

Any help is much appreciated
Manual Mineral Grey M140i

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Paint bubbling

Post by marco_polo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 am

Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

SamM140
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by SamM140 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:19 pm

That's a bit worrying that it seems reasonably common place - I thought they'd put their rust issues behind them after the demise of the E46.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:21 pm

It's only ever the boot lid so far. I don't know who they sub it's manufacture out to, but they clearly have quality issues.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:26 pm

The amount of these are starting to rack up now.
Glacier Silver 320d lci M Sport.

dantheman
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by dantheman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Get it sorted under warranty - they shouldn't quibble (although I had to argue that it wasn't some random orange staining on the paint on mine, as the first tech to look at it thought!). Remember to check your tailpipe trims for paint flaking off too while you're at it - that's covered under the 3 year paintwork warranty.

Mine was in this exact spot, but not quite as bad: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=94080&start=75#p1472004

I had my tailgate 'repaired' under warranty. Orange spots/staining appearing around the seams where inner and outer panel meet. Particularly in the 'inside' in the corner above the tail lights, where water sits when it's been raining. If I had anything other than a white car I'm certain I wouldn't have spotted it.

I assume they stripped it, ground off/treated the corrosion and repainted the tailgate (including new glass - they presumably can't remove the rear window without breaking it).

It will likely be sent to a body shop off site.

Take LOTS of photos when you drop it off - mine came back with a deep scuff mark and badly touched in chip in the OS back door (and overspray on the outer tail lights, spotted the other day, 3 moths later!). Fortunately the dealer had photos of it leaving them so pinned it on the bodyshop. Ended up sorting it myself rather than faff taking it back yet again. Massive pain in the butt though.

Hope you get sorted.
2016 LCI F20 M135i Auto - Alpine White / Coral

ellingtj
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ellingtj » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Mine went there and on the inside of the hatch above the light clusters, it took the clowns at dick shuvitt 4 attempts to get it acceptable. If you pm me an email address I can send you photos of what it looked like.

MattM140i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MattM140i » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Thanks everyone,

I'm going to take it in when I've finished my shifts and see what they have to say about it. Good to know that it's a common problem though and I'll be sure to show them all of the replies to this thread.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Manual Mineral Grey M140i

Poolster

Post by Poolster » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:57 am

Personally if I find any on mine, I'd rather sort it out myself, rather than let them attempt it. Main dealers are so inept at sorting these kind of issues out. The chances of getting it sorted to a satisfactory standard first time round really are slim. If you know a good body shop or smart repair guy, just do it yourself. I know you shouldn't have to, but for me it's worth doing rather than dealing with main dealer arseholes

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”