Tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport for F20

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

PNWokingham

Re: Tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport for F20

Post by PNWokingham » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:13 pm

I am also in need of new tyres as just curbed a wheel - cost my a wheel bearing and refurb!!! So getting the other 3 refurbed at the same time just for the tiny scrapes. I have only done 8.5k since new and MOT due in 6 weeks but the tyres are very cracked on the sides and do not look good so even though they reckon the split in the tyre rim on the wheel i banged is probably OK i think i will refurb all wheels and get 4 new tyres

I have the MPSS and these are about £20 dearer than MPS4. I have no price for the MPS4s. I only do limited mileage and no track work. Is it worth me buying MPSS over MPS4 (And pretty sure not worth going for the MPS4S)? Any quick views on the difference between MPSS and MPS4?

I can get 4 MPS4 fitted for £465
M240i Auto, MG, red Leather, High-gloss Black interior, adaptive suspension, pro Media, driver Comfort, Sun protection, reversing camera, HK, through load, Lumbar, Bootmat, G3
Previous: E35 M5 3.8, 330D, E211 E63AMG

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Are you on 18" or 19"? MPS-4S aren't available in 18" in Europe.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

potassium
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by potassium » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 pm

Think general consensus is MPS4 is best overall tyres for UK weather but MPSS is best performance tyre as long as it’s warmed up. I would have gone MPS4 if GYF1SS was not available.

PNWokingham

Post by PNWokingham » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:13 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 pm
Are you on 18" or 19"? MPS-4S aren't available in 18" in Europe.
I am on 18s
M240i Auto, MG, red Leather, High-gloss Black interior, adaptive suspension, pro Media, driver Comfort, Sun protection, reversing camera, HK, through load, Lumbar, Bootmat, G3

PNWokingham

Post by PNWokingham » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:14 pm

potassium wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 pm
Think general consensus is MPS4 is best overall tyres for UK weather but MPSS is best performance tyre as long as it’s warmed up. I would have gone MPS4 if GYF1SS was not available.
thanks - i think i will go mps4

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Do you have dedicated winter tyres?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

PNWokingham

Post by PNWokingham » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:14 pm
no - just the single ones - not sure many people do in the UK?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 pm

I do.

MPSS aren't much cop in the winter, so PS4's or GY Asym 5's would be my choices.

Dace64
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Dace64 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:08 am

I run MPS4 and they are a great all round tyre. I use them on track too and the difference compared to the MPSS is negligible, on a typical UK day’s weather. Just done Oulton Park and rained mid morning. They perform well in the wet and pretty good in the dry.
F20 M140i SE. 442bhp & 602Nm

padders
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by padders » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:10 am

PNWokingham wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 pm
marco_polo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:14 pm
no - just the single ones - not sure many people do in the UK?
I would wager that a higher proportion who run RWD BMWs do than on FWD runabouts since the former as so bad in extreme winter conditions, especially if on suoersport summer tyres. If you have the space to store a stack of wheels it’s pretty easy to swap over every 6 months.
Now: EB LCI 125d F20 8HP50: Oyster Leather, Active Cruise and Adaptive Suspension, PDC F&R, Folding mirrors, Pro Nav
Soon: M240i, MPLSD.

R5_RXK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by R5_RXK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:48 am

marco_polo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 pm
I do.

MPSS aren't much cop in the winter, so PS4's or GY Asym 5's would be my choices.

Will the Asym 5's be a good all rounder for winter also? As I'm hoping to just run the 1 set at present but undecided on a winter set, i guess it always depends on the kind of winter we have!
Owner of BMW E81 Sparkling Graphite M Sport 3 Door Hatchback

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 am

No summer tyre works well on ice, CrossClimates can handle a bit of slush/snow though - so they might be considered a reasonable all-rounder?

The GY Asym5 and PS4 should both work in the cold, but don't expect them to grip if it turns wintery.

potassium
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by potassium » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:49 pm

I’ve done both separate winter tyres/alloys for many past cars:

And had a 2nd FWD runabout

Which kept the Mlite parked up:

And after all the extra expense and other things these bring, my conclusion is…

When it snows, do all you can to stay at home!

Yes Winters are great and make you look like a king of the road, manoeuvring around the peeps struggling or stuck, but you are basically in a dodgem car situation on a snowy road, and its the other drivers that are now a danger rather than the weather.

Yes another car is cool, and if nothing, you do less miles on your Mlite and it stays a weekend toy or good weather commuter, but its another car to maintain and insure, and on the snow road you join a dodgem cars.

Rubbish excuses and just an opinion. I would say if you really need to be in your RWD in the snow, it won’t work safely without winters (i don’t car how much of a snow king you think you are). And if you can afford a cheap FWD car as a spare then great for you, you are sorted, and it has benefits past just being a snow car.

But I still preach the above.

It hasn’t really snowed that bad or that long since 2014 from what I recall. In the pic above in Dec 2017, it was over within a week, and I don’t recall it snowing like it since, certainly not in the Midlands.

martin10chk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by martin10chk » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Its August .... and we are talking winter tyres! FWIW I have always kept to separate winter tyre/wheels since getting stuck with my rwd (E90 325d) on my drive that had like a 2 degree slope.
Current: MG 2015 M135i - Auto - ProNav - HK - Adaptive - PDC (f + r) - MP LSD
Previous: Golf Gti vi, BMW e9x 330i touring, BMW e90 325D (+ map)

NL-Mike
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by NL-Mike » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am

potassium wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:49 pm
I’ve done both separate winter tyres/alloys for many past cars:

And had a 2nd FWD runabout

Which kept the Mlite parked up:

And after all the extra expense and other things these bring, my conclusion is…

When it snows, do all you can to stay at home!

Yes Winters are great and make you look like a king of the road, manoeuvring around the peeps struggling or stuck, but you are basically in a dodgem car situation on a snowy road, and its the other drivers that are now a danger rather than the weather.

Yes another car is cool, and if nothing, you do less miles on your Mlite and it stays a weekend toy or good weather commuter, but its another car to maintain and insure, and on the snow road you join a dodgem cars.

Rubbish excuses and just an opinion. I would say if you really need to be in your RWD in the snow, it won’t work safely without winters (i don’t car how much of a snow king you think you are). And if you can afford a cheap FWD car as a spare then great for you, you are sorted, and it has benefits past just being a snow car.

But I still preach the above.

It hasn’t really snowed that bad or that long since 2014 from what I recall. In the pic above in Dec 2017, it was over within a week, and I don’t recall it snowing like it since, certainly not in the Midlands.
This is the reason I don't run winter tyres on the mlite, I'd like to stay as far away from other people on summers when it snows!

Got a set of Continental TS860's on the wife's car which we'll use if we really need to go out in bad weather.

Interesting to find out about the wear rate of the Goodyear SuperSports! I couldn't get them yet so switched to MPS4 now, can't fault the them either.

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”