Re: Doing a lot of miles with the B58

Post by stag74 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:10 am

OneTwenty wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:16 am
stag74 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:47 am
BigSwede wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:37 am

I love it. Does the boring stuff well but gets fun quickly when required. It's a brilliant daily drive.
Totally agree.
Beats doing it in a diesel barge and the economy isn't that significantly different to my previous e91 touring.
I pitty those that do less than 8K a year and don't really use them!
It depends on how you do the miles though.

I only do 7k miles a year in my 240, but not one of those miles is commuting to an office somewhere and being stuck in traffic. I hated those days and never want to have to do that again!!

So every mile I cover in mine is purely out with the family or by myself at the weekend and are fun miles. So don't pity us, I get to enjoy the car just as much as anyone but long term I end up with a much lower mileage car if I ever have to sell. It's done 21k miles now.

On the flip side, I can buy a used car cheaper that has higher miles and then bring the miles down to average over a few years effectively making the car normal market value again. :)
I think the difference is personally I would never have such a car just for low miles as a fun car. It just isn't special enough.
M140i 3 Door Manual

Tony444
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tony444 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:20 am

stag74 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:10 am
OneTwenty wrote:
stag74 wrote:

Totally agree.
Beats doing it in a diesel barge and the economy isn't that significantly different to my previous e91 touring.

I only do 7k miles a year in my 240, but not one of those miles is commuting to an office somewhere and being stuck in traffic. I hated those days and never want to have to do that again!!

So every mile I cover in mine is purely out with the family or by myself at the weekend and are fun miles. So don't pity us, I get to enjoy the car just as much as anyone but long term I end up with a much lower mileage car if I ever have to sell. It's done 21k miles now.

On the flip side, I can buy a used car cheaper that has higher miles and then bring the miles down to average over a few years effectively making the car normal market value again. :)
I think the difference is personally I would never have such a car just for low miles as a fun car. It just isn't special enough.
I agree, it’s a capable car, excellent mile cruncher but there’s far better out there for fun
Current - M240i step, Lotus Exige V6 Cup
Previous - Too many to list

Pubbie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Pubbie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:31 pm

stag74 wrote:
One could argue that driving for fun is becoming very difficult to do in the UK, and a very sizeable proportion of the country would like to see it banned altogether... However just because a car is not used for commuting does not mean that your only car should be some impractical track-day weapon.

I don't use my 125i for commuting - it's 100% impossible - so the majority of its miles are social, domestic and (what's left of) pleasure. I do not need a diesel or estate car, and in any event a diesel would not be a sensible choice for only 6-7k miles a year, but I do want something fun. And I would have had an M140i just for that, were the probability of theft rather lower!

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:36 am

stag74 wrote:
OneTwenty wrote:
stag74 wrote:

Totally agree.

I never said it was a fun car or special, I said fun miles as in not having to sit on the motorway or in traffic every day - we run it as a family car for the weekends so I can't really have a great deal of "fun" when I have the wife and kids in - but it's a great all rounder - perfect for family weekends away, but I can have my own fun in the car if I like - fun to me is not doing 10/10ths on busy country lanes, it's just getting out and pressing on in a safe manner.

If I could be selfish and spend my weekends to myself hooning around then I'd probably get a Cayman or a 911 but it would get such little use with 2 seats that it would be a waste of time. Similarly I have much higher priorities than cars in life so the costs need to be reasonable. I find the running costs of MLites as cheap as anything I've owned before. But an M2 or similar would be higher to run and again a waste for such low miles.

And fun is subjective - if you like flying around tracks at the weekend then yes something else more special would be required, but my idea of fun is just going out for a nice drive into the Dales, usually with the family on board and for that the 240 is perfect for me. It's as capable doing the weekly shopping trip as it is flying up round the country roads and to me that makes it pretty special, rather than being a one trick pony.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:38 am

stag74 wrote:
OneTwenty wrote:
stag74 wrote:

Totally agree.

And on the other side, if you're doing high miles why would you waste the money on an M140i if you're going to sit on the motorway most days, you may as well get a 120d.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:36 am
stag74 wrote:
OneTwenty wrote:

I never said it was a fun car or special, I said fun miles as in not having to sit on the motorway or in traffic every day - we run it as a family car for the weekends so I can't really have a great deal of "fun" when I have the wife and kids in - but it's a great all rounder - perfect for family weekends away, but I can have my own fun in the car if I like - fun to me is not doing 10/10ths on busy country lanes, it's just getting out and pressing on in a safe manner.

If I could be selfish and spend my weekends to myself hooning around then I'd probably get a Cayman or a 911 but it would get such little use with 2 seats that it would be a waste of time. Similarly I have much higher priorities than cars in life so the costs need to be reasonable. I find the running costs of MLites as cheap as anything I've owned before. But an M2 or similar would be higher to run and again a waste for such low miles.

And fun is subjective - if you like flying around tracks at the weekend then yes something else more special would be required, but my idea of fun is just going out for a nice drive into the Dales, usually with the family on board and for that the 240 is perfect for me. It's as capable doing the weekly shopping trip as it is flying up round the country roads and to me that makes it pretty special, rather than being a one trick pony.
And that’s exactly where the M140i wins; I don’t have room for a toy and a daily and don’t really want to be hit with the running costs of something like an M2 and the M140inis ridiculously cheap for what it is. I can chuck a bike on the roof, ferry the boy around and have fun when the time arises. Yes it’s not special but it covers those bases so well.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:29 pm

SamM140 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm
OneTwenty wrote:
stag74 wrote:

And that’s exactly where the M140i wins; I don’t have room for a toy and a daily and don’t really want to be hit with the running costs of something like an M2 and the M140inis ridiculously cheap for what it is. I can chuck a bike on the roof, ferry the boy around and have fun when the time arises. Yes it’s not special but it covers those bases so well.
I think they are pretty special IMO, this "special" business when it comes to cars depends on how you define it.

I'm sure a stripped out GT3 RS is pretty awesome to chuck around Oulton Park, but I'm not sure having to live with one as a daily would be particularly "special". But not many people can afford to have a trackday weapon unless they live with Mum & Dad still.

I'm still not bored of my 240 after over 3 years and not many cars have pulled me in like that. And for my driving style I can't imagine anything that can compete with it. So to me it's certainly special enough, even more so when you consider what we say above about running costs.

For something that many people on here label as not "special" enough to even be worth looking at ( :roll: ) in my eyes they look great, don't cost the earth to buy or run/fuel/insure, they are comfy when needed and sporty when needed, have a 3l 6 cylinder turbo engine with 340bhp+ that does 0-60 in 4.6s, oodles of torque, but can still work as a family car and, even in 240 guise, can be practical - I use mine for mountain biking and fit a L 29" bike in the back no issue.

I can't think of anything else that can do all that and still make you smile after 3 years of ownership, except maybe an M140i!!

Nothing else can come close to the MLites as an overall package. Certain things almost, e.g. Golf R for practicality (but not noise), M2 for handling/power (but not running costs) etc etc

Something that can pull all that off, seems to me to be pretty "special".

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by 50pence » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:54 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:29 pm
SamM140 wrote:
OneTwenty wrote:

I think they are pretty special IMO, this "special" business when it comes to cars depends on how you define it.

I'm sure a stripped out GT3 RS is pretty awesome to chuck around Oulton Park, but I'm not sure having to live with one as a daily would be particularly "special". But not many people can afford to have a trackday weapon unless they live with Mum & Dad still.

I'm still not bored of my 240 after over 3 years and not many cars have pulled me in like that. And for my driving style I can't imagine anything that can compete with it. So to me it's certainly special enough, even more so when you consider what we say above about running costs.

For something that many people on here label as not "special" enough to even be worth looking at ( :roll: ) in my eyes they look great, don't cost the earth to buy or run/fuel/insure, they are comfy when needed and sporty when needed, have a 3l 6 cylinder turbo engine with 340bhp+ that does 0-60 in 4.6s, oodles of torque, but can still work as a family car and, even in 240 guise, can be practical - I use mine for mountain biking and fit a L 29" bike in the back no issue.

I can't think of anything else that can do all that and still make you smile after 3 years of ownership, except maybe an M140i!!

Nothing else can come close to the MLites as an overall package. Certain things almost, e.g. Golf R for practicality (but not noise), M2 for handling/power (but not running costs) etc etc

I totally agree (though would include the 135/235 of course)!

There a few cars that offer the all round package, the ability to waft around like a mini limo with it's silky smooth 6 cyl engine and great ride, achieving 40mpg on a run; AND stonking performance, a great soundtrack and entertaining chassis whenever you want it.

Mine still feels special after three years of ownership, I didn't expect to keep it this long though there's nothing out there that appeals more. Or rather I'd have to spend at least £35k to £40k on top of what my car is worth to find a car that matches it on all counts, perhaps an M340iX Touring.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
SamM140 wrote:
OneTwenty wrote:

I guess when you put it like that, it is pretty special! :lol:

I don’t think they have the wow factor that other stuff has when you first pull up etc. And amongst flasher stuff they do get lost but I bloody love mine. I think replacing it will be a tough job (if I decide to).

The fact that they’re pretty bloody swift but don’t rape your wallet is a massive plus point for me. An E90 M3 was a very very strong consented for me when opting out but I decided that the running costs of an older fast saloon would be too much, especially for a daily.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:11 pm

50pence wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:54 pm
OneTwenty wrote:
SamM140 wrote:

I totally agree (though would include the 135/235 of course)!

There a few cars that offer the all round package, the ability to waft around like a mini limo with it's silky smooth 6 cyl engine and great ride, achieving 40mpg on a run; AND stonking performance, a great soundtrack and entertaining chassis whenever you want it.

Mine still feels special after three years of ownership, I didn't expect to keep it this long though there's nothing out there that appeals more. Or rather I'd have to spend at least £35k to £40k on top of what my car is worth to find a car that matches it on all counts, perhaps an M340iX Touring.

--
M340i Touring is the closest I can come up with, but when you spec one up and include the options I have on my 240 it's getting up near £60k which is silly for a 3 series.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 pm

SamM140 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm
OneTwenty wrote:
SamM140 wrote:

I don’t think they have the wow factor that other stuff has when you first pull up etc. And amongst flasher stuff they do get lost but I bloody love mine. I think replacing it will be a tough job (if I decide to).
That's one of the huge plus points for me, the fact it flies under the radar a bit, and doesn't shout about what it can do. I don't mind a shouty car like an M2 or a Civic Type R, far from it. But for me the subtle Q car look is something I look for in a car.

My old 205 was a stock looking miami blue GTI that was just lowered by 1" but the 200bhp Mi16 engine would shame much faster machines and doing that was priceless. :lol:

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:13 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 pm
SamM140 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm
OneTwenty wrote:

That's one of the huge plus points for me, the fact it flies under the radar a bit, and doesn't shout about what it can do. I don't mind a shouty car like an M2 or a Civic Type R, far from it. But for me the subtle Q car look is something I look for in a car.

My old 205 was a stock looking miami blue GTI that was just lowered by 1" but the 200bhp Mi16 engine would shame much faster machines and doing that was priceless. :lol:
Flying under the radar suits me fine too. It doesn’t p*ss off clients, colleagues not garner attention from many folk.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:53 am

Back to the OP, the general feeling is yes, 100k should be a fraction of the life of the B58.

But I wonder what the first thing to go in the 140/240 (and 135/235 if we are not just talkjng engine) will be? Any questioable design points been identified so far? Any areas prone to damage/ excess wear/corrosion? Are the electronics likely to be prohibitively expensive to repair/replace when the car gets into being 10 or 12 years old?

Or will they last forever?
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

Chapscrap
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Chapscrap » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 am

I’ve driven a few 100k+, 7/8/9 year old 1 series, and some of them do feel a bit loose, or baggy, but nothing a few suspension bushes, ball joints, new dampers wouldn’t solve.
I’m sure that after a few years people get used to the gradual degradation of their car, which is one reason a new car always feels, well, new. Unless it’s French, (Citroen in particular) in which case they feel like they’ve done 50k already 🤣
Imho the key to keeping a car long term, that still drives well, is keeping on top of the little things that go wrong or break or just wear out, as well as replacing high stress bushes, and dampers, before they fail - most shock absorbers are knackered at 100k for instance.
Agree that the 1 flies under the radar, a great little Q car. Back in the day I used to run a Vauxhall Chevette with a 180bhp 2 litre Ford pinto powertrain, apart from 6” minilites and sitting a bit lower than standard you’d never have known, until it came past you....great fun.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am

I think BMW in general hold up really well to the miles though.

Our E91 is 10 now and has done 93k miles but it still feels tight, fresh and easy to drive. There is nothing about it that gives the feeling it's a 10 year old car - even the BMW service guys said the same when I last had it in for a service.

So far it's needed nothing except battery and brake pads.

I think long term the MLites may have suspension that needs refreshing or issues with the open rad at the front but I can't see any other issues developing, touch wood!!

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”