Door speaker upgrade

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

Washout12

Re: Door speaker upgrade

Post by Washout12 »

The clock going off is probably due to the MOST cable not being transferred over to the new harness. I’ve had one of these Vibe amps(65.4) and the 400.1 version in my car for over a year now with no issues powering focal K2’s front and rear
Current: F20 M135i-Birds B2, M2 LCA+TS, rear subframe brace, rear subframe inserts, diff inserts
Previous: FN2 Type R championship white
Henry Chinaski
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Henry Chinaski »

Washout12 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 pm The clock going off is probably due to the MOST cable not being transferred over to the new harness. I’ve had one of these Vibe amps(65.4) and the 400.1 version in my car for over a year now with no issues powering focal K2’s front and rear
Hi
I'm a bit confused by this. Isn't MOST a fibre optic (digital) cable? I've been under the impression that it's only the Harmon Kardon (not base) system in BMW 3 series cars and above that have a MOST ring and use a digital output from the head unit - that the 1 series and 2 series (HK or otherwise) have an analogue output.
2018 M240i, Manual, MinWhite, coral red, blk wheels, sunroof, adaptive suspension, Pro Nav, System3+ audio upgrade, Apple CarPlay, Cruise Control, Speed Limit display, park sensors F&R, electric fold mirrors, heated seats & wheel, electric lumbar
Washout12

Post by Washout12 »

If you have the extended dash display then that also requires MOST to work correctly. The fibre optic cables need moving from the original to the adapter for it to continue to function correctly. I can’t explain why you had no sound from the front.
Current: F20 M135i-Birds B2, M2 LCA+TS, rear subframe brace, rear subframe inserts, diff inserts
Previous: FN2 Type R championship white
KennyP

Post by KennyP »

Vibe have now come back going on about the green optical cable with wee picture of what I need to do with it. In my ignorance, I knew nothing of it, but crucially they made no mention of it in their own destructions and simply waffled on about 'plug and play' and no need to doing anything else....A little note in the box would have helped n'est pas?

They have made no reference to the front speakers working one day and then nothing a day or so later but the optical cable surely can't affect that as all the speaker cables were connected through one multi block and unplugging/re-plugging made no difference. Watch this space!
KennyP

Post by KennyP »

Had an email yesterday, they have simply refunded and wouldn't acknowledge or discuss the fronts stopping working so that'll be that regards the amp. On a more positive note, the tweeter trims finally arrived so I got the focal speakers fitted, I had to chose different mounting location for the crossover box than is shown in some of the pics on the net (I had to go nearer the front of the door). The 3D adapters worked fine and lots of sound deadening applied to the metal of the doors and the whole of the plastic door card. Sealed the woofers into the doors using the same stuff and also added stick on foam strip around the circumference of the speakers to face against the door card/grills when re-fitted.

The good news is a definite uplift in detail, transparency and imaging. Due to the lack of an amp there isn't really any more oomph as such but you can hear things far more clearly at low volumes and they will take far higher volumes without falling apart. So yes, for just over £400 it is better if not completely night and day and using some cheaper components around the £100-150 may yield a similar result. At some point I may look back into amps and underseat subs but I'll leave it as is for the time being to get more used to how it performs.

Cheers

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”