dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

Post by .Griff. » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 am

So mine is at the dealership today at BMW UKs request.

To be fair to the dealer/service agent, he knew all about the issue, didn't pretend it didn't exist and agreed that it was pretty much a waste of my time taking the car there.

He was all set to drag a technician outside so he could "tick the boxes" and let me go about my day when he said "Oh there's a recall out for this model" and asked me to leave the car with them after all.

When pushed what the recall was he said "it's an update". Any ideas? Does he just mean a software update?
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

mouse140i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mouse140i » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:36 am

Mine had a software update yesterday when the missing spring (and new flap/valve) was replaced.

No idea what was updated but the tech had all the details from a PUMA case.

Could be something completely unrelated or maybe that I can hear the engine more now the rattle has gone but the engine sounded more fruity on the drive in to work this morning.

I had turned off the ASD ages ago and don't think that has come back on although I noticed the audio off on door open, stop/start disable, digital speed (as well as a few other non-Bimmercode items) were reset back to normal. Audio beeps on unlock/lock are still in place. Will have to dig out the OBD dongle and see what's what.

Matt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am

mouse140i wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:36 am
Mine had a software update yesterday when the missing spring (and new flap/valve) was replaced.

No idea what was updated but the tech had all the details from a PUMA case.

Could be something completely unrelated or maybe that I can hear the engine more now the rattle has gone but the engine sounded more fruity on the drive in to work this morning.

I had turned off the ASD ages ago and don't think that has come back on although I noticed the audio off on door open, stop/start disable, digital speed (as well as a few other non-Bimmercode items) were reset back to normal. Audio beeps on unlock/lock are still in place. Will have to dig out the OBD dongle and see what's what.
The software update increases pressure in the exhaust during the startup procedure apparently. It's likely that the ASD is now back, as they tend to re-write all the software.
Now:
M140i F20 Auto in Mineral Grey (B58)

Gone:
125D F20 LCI MSport Auto in Alpine White (B47)
120D E81 LCI MSport Auto in Space Grey (N47)
118D E87 LCI Sport Manual in Black Sapphire (N47)

Mr Plow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mr Plow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Sorry, mine is m135 MPE. Although never actually looked I think it's valved as I hear it actuate shortly after cold start. Rattles in the initial cold start period.

Tempted to leave it to run out more of the two year cover and then report it closer to completion of the 2 year parts warranty to get the most out of a potential replacement. Will so how annoying it gets. I'm

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 pm

So I'm back from the dealer.

I never expected them to come up with a resolution on the spot and only went so I followed protocol and gave BMW their opportunity, as required, to inspect the fault for themselves.

I have to say that the service agent (who shall remain nameless, as will the dealership - read on) was excellent. He knew about the fault, didn't try and pretend he knew nothing about it, openly admitted other customers had been in with the same fault and was happy to hear my moans and offer advice on moving forward.

Now I don't know what others have been told about the PUMA case but this service agent accidentally left it on ht table when he went to get my key and my phone accidentally took two photos of it. It basically waffles on about the rattle being a "characteristic" and then includes instructions to the dealerships on how to deflect complaints, the models affected and how long the fault has been present. All in all pretty interesting and useful information to have.

Now time to go back to BMW UK and/or BMW FS.

El pollo diablo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by El pollo diablo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm

.Griff. wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 pm
Now I don't know what others have been told about the PUMA case but this service agent accidentally left it on ht table when he went to get my key and my phone accidentally took two photos of it.
I am pretty sure there would be a lot of interest in accidental PUMA case document photos from this forum. :D
M140i - 5 Door Auto, Estoril Blue, Oyster Leather, Driver Comfort Pack, Adaptive Suspension, Pro Media, HK Sound, Heated Seats

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:25 pm

El pollo diablo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm
.Griff. wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 pm
Now I don't know what others have been told about the PUMA case but this service agent accidentally left it on ht table when he went to get my key and my phone accidentally took two photos of it.
I am pretty sure there would be a lot of interest in accidental PUMA case document photos from this forum. :D
I'm more than happy to discuss what's in it but I don't know the legal ramifications of posting photos of it in the public domain.

Effectively it's this -

Code: Select all

Various references
Complaint - Noise from rear left exhaust area on cold startup
Cause - Exhaust valve/rear silencer intolerances in the warm-up phase
Measure - Topic currently under investigation
Then details "3 steps" for dealing with "a customer complaint"
Validity information - Confirms models, engine ranges, body styles etc affected
Repair Overviews - This bit didn't make any sense, codes/references, cryptic words
At least if anyone on here is told a PUMA case doesn't exist we have proof it does and I can always pull out references and dates if needed.

Mr Plow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mr Plow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Yeah, BMW are well known for selling prestige cars with rattling exhausts as a positve sales point... Rediculous: I can see this being a pain if not instantly rectified as i would expect on a warrantied product.

Dean_g1987
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dean_g1987 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Evening guys, not posted for a while but feel I need to as I’m not getting anywhere with my rattle. All the dealer keep saying is they have a few customers with the same problem but I feel mine is beyond embarrassing as it’s like it all the time. Even when driving around! I uploaded a vid to YouTube. Let me know if link doesn’t work!

https://youtu.be/8WGipME9U3Q

My car is going into dealer tomorrow, so I hope they sort it!

Cheers,

Dean

Shadak
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shadak » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:06 pm

Dean_g1987 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 pm
Evening guys, not posted for a while but feel I need to as I’m not getting anywhere with my rattle. All the dealer keep saying is they have a few customers with the same problem but I feel mine is beyond embarrassing as it’s like it all the time. Even when driving around! I uploaded a vid to YouTube. Let me know if link doesn’t work!

Cheers,

Dean
wow thats an annoying rattle! can you do the valve disconnect trick on 135? (obviously not when you take it to the dealer:) )
/// ...... M140i xDrive 2017 ...... \\\

Dean_g1987
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dean_g1987 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Shadak wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:06 pm
Dean_g1987 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Cheers,

Dean
wow thats an annoying rattle! can you do the valve disconnect trick on 135? (obviously not when you take it to the dealer:) )
I’m not sure. Will see if I get the same “that’s a common problem” reply tomorrow!

AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndytheGreek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if BMW make valve delete kits.
2017 M2

WannabeaQuandt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by WannabeaQuandt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Had the MPE fitted under warranty yesterday.

Mine first started rattling after 8 days of ownership but took it back last week after trying to live with it for a couple of months.

They kept the car for over a week whilst BMW Germany accessed it remotely via Ethernet to fix the issue without success.

Still waiting on my chrome tips to arrive so they've somehow managed to put my old ones on for now which resonate a little on start up which I hope is just a fitment issue with the tips...

Also had my idrive system including screen replaced as that would often not boot up if I came back to the car 'too soon' after locking it.

2 out of 3 done, last is the peeling paint on the inside of the wheel arch, not the last word in build quality so far but I still absolutely adore it!!
Previously - E87 118d M Sport in sapphire black
Current - F20 M140i SE in alpine white

Hutchy14
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Hutchy14 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm

I was basically told by the advisor that there is a lot of talk online about the rattle and that in the early stages BMW where upgrading everyone to the MPE but recently have put a stop to doing that as it wasn’t manageable with the cost etc, (Had a good laugh at that bit, as if BMW are the ones suffering 😂) so they are no working on a fix and telling customers to await for the fix to be confirmed.
| M140i Shadow Edition | 3dr | Auto | EB | Black Leather | ProNav | HFS | Adaptive M Sport Susepnsion | EFM |

Dean_g1987
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dean_g1987 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 am

So after mine went in yesterday for that aweful rattle I was told that there was definitely something wrong. Well that was the reason why I had taken it in! Turns out “a clip” had snapped and they managed to replace it that day. On the plus side, rattle has gone, but how long for? I was told they would not fit an MPE to my manual and that BMW have stopped doing that. Having just read two comments up that someone else has just had it done, tells me otherwise.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”