dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

JeffH

Re: dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

Post by JeffH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Just shows what a waste of space BMW and their "Customers services" really are. I think after all this time they would at least have just one plan of action rather than a response depending on which way the wind is blowing......Total waste of my time and effort, fed up hence the ranting above.

Neil b
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Neil b » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm

They really are rubbish at cus serv I sent 7 e mails and spoke to service manager at
Barons bmw at stanstead got know where fix is comping won’t do anything standard crap
In some ways I think it’s funny as I was going to get an m2 later this year but now they can
F!,k off also put wife off a mini she’s bought a fiat 500 there the ones that will lose out long term
Sapphire black M140i ,auto,pro nav/media PAC ,hk,heated seats,
Comfort pack,m sport black grill,carbon mirrors,405 mp wheels

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Glad to hear that you have gone elsewhere for cars as I have, I feel all the better for it, at least BMW are not going to get anything else out of me (and you by the sounds of it)

maniac886
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by maniac886 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 am

I haven't heard the rattle yet but reading this thread I guess it's only a matter of time. I am not that keen either getting the MPE because of the drone issues which I want to avoid as I use this car for my commute. I guess I will just have to wait it out until they have a fix!
Gone:M135i
Current:M140i Shadow Edition 3Dr Auto EB,Black Dakota Interior,Media Pack,Exterior folding Mirrors,Heated Seats,PDC (Front + Rear), Adaptive suspension,Apple Carplay,Reverse Camera,Lumbar Support,Speed Limit Display & Park Assist.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am

By the time BMW get their finger out and have a solution I would have probably handed the car back at the end of the PCP in 2 years time....
Remember BMW have known about this for years as I believe it also affected the M135 although not as much as the M140.

I will keep the forum posted on how I get on with the Financial Ombudsman service. If anybody else is as fed up as me, I have posted the telephone number in previous posts above. The more of us that complain to them, the better chance we will have for a quicker resolution.

As I said before BMW absolutly useless, I have had loads of issues in the first two months of ownership, creaky door seals, clonking brakes, creaky steering wheel... the list goes on. But my brand new Mazda 6 Tourer, 1 month in and not a single issue. I will be buying Japanese in future, no more German.

BillTheButcher
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BillTheButcher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 am

BillTheButcher wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm
I think my '17 plate 140 did this for the first time yesterday morning. It's just hit 3,000 miles. It only lasted about five seconds. By the time I'd got out to close the garage door it had stopped.

I reckon it's sulking because I'm trying to sell it. :oops:
I started mine on Sunday for the first time in over a week and the rattle was a lot more noticeable. It carried on for about a minute this time, too. It's being PXed on Saturday so I'll let the dealer worry about it.

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by barneym140i » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 am

took BMW 5 visits with my exhaust before anything happened, and I literally had to threaten to drive the car to the Sytner dealer and leave it outside, in the end I got a result by searching linked in for the regional managers and its very easy to find their email addresses, and as if by miracle within a few hours of emailing someone senior directly I was offered a carbon MPE.

My experience with BMW echos the last few posts, brand new Sept 2017 M140I, missing inflation kit on first day, which was great

bonnet wouldn't close as bracket out of alignment
Exhaust started rattling, took the above to get sorted
Fitted MPE and took 2 visits for them to then further adjust it to make it not vibrate or foul the subframe
engine management light is coming on intermittently now
driver door wouldn't close the other day in the frost due to the window mechanism not going down and glass fouling the seal, I might put this down to the temperatures but never had a car (inc BMWS) do this before, so every freezing day this might happen now.

Honestly a terrible experience, it sounds terrible but if the car was nicked off my drive tonight I would be glad to see the back of it. Had a 10 year old lexus GS a year ago and it had zero problems in years of ownership and the dealer experience and how they looked after me with a 7 grand second car was literally 10 times better then BMW on a 30k+ car.

LadyBayImp
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by LadyBayImp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Full disclosure: I had an MPE fitted with relatively little fuss (carefully worded email and an assertive approach was taken with CS and the dealer)

Playing devils advocate for a while though...

I think that as ever, the forum is an echo chamber to an extent, and has a tendency to skew the negatives we experience with our cars. We’re the breed of car owner who won’t settle for a squeak, rattle or swirl mark.

I can’t excuse the inconsistent approach from BMW, but feel that the dealers are stuck in the middle. Some will no doubt grease the wheels to appease their valued customers, others will toe the line.

Once a design flaw has been identified, there’s a balancing act for BMW - cost to rectify vs impact of lost future business and brand damage. If it were a brake failure issue, then clearly they have to recall and fix, or face big legal costs, but this is different.

It’s only when there’s a critical mass of people demanding a fix (whether that’s an MPE or otherwise), that they will look at engineering a new component.

This will be designed by or with an OEM and will take time to design, test and ramp up production.

I’m guessing the mixed messages on when a fix is due, will be because they’re still finding out if a revised component has actually done the trick. Given that not all of us experienced the fault, then proving it doesn’t materialise with the new part, will require testing in the field?

So in terms of customer relations (and internal communications to the dealer network) it’s a blunder, but let’s face it - in the scheme of things, are we that big a segment of their target market?

It’s only if they get bitten big enough financially that they’ll learn from this - it’s the same for most big companies isn’t it?

I’ve had a failed gearbox, strut mounts, as well as the rattle sorted so far under warranty. I’m still willing to buy BMW again in the future - I figure I’m just the small percentage to be unlucky. Happy to take one for the team :wink:
Mineral Grey M240i Convertible Auto. Chrome MPE, matte black MP diffuser, matte black grilles, JB+

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Yep, I have the bonnet alignment issue, takes about 3 attempts to close it, you have to drop the bonnet holding the right hand edge. BMW - "that is normal sir"

Seems there are a lot of disgruntled owners like me out there....

Just for reference, I have just contacted 2 other BMW Dealers and asked for price to fit MPE, told them the registration number and that is was a manual car, both said no problem sir we can do that, fully warranted system. quoted £1150 & £1000 all in.
So BMW don't have an issue fitting MPE to a manual car if you are going to pay for it. I have since contacted the Financial Ombudsman service to tell them this, so hopefully when they do their investigation that will be in my favour.

I am getting more angry with every passing day, BMW what a bunch of :censored:

Your idea about contacting the regional manager for my area sounds good, I might just give that a go as well.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Yes, I understand about the dealer being in the middle, but it is the way they handle it that annoys me, very nice on the phone, "yes sir we will look into that and get back to you". Weeks & months go by without contact. Just keeping customers in the loop would help. But the main issue is the inconsistancy of it all.
I don't want an MPE as a freebee I just want a fix to the embarrassing noise that emits from my 37k car on the driveway, with all my neighbours looking at me. It seems the MPE option is the only fix at present, I would be happy with a valve modification if that fixed it, or even unplugging the electrical connection to the valve, but BMW said that could not be done because of the "warranty" I just feel I have waited long enough for a fix.

CalamityDan

Post by CalamityDan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Have to admit this thread is a bit scary as a soon to be new m140i owner!
What sort of percentage are we talking when it comes to failures? Maybe some kind of poll would be half useful to guage how bad the problem really is?

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by barneym140i » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:27 pm

I wouldn't be too put off by this thread, its a miniscule percentage to the volume sold I imagine, and every marque will have issues.

I disagree with the above regarding dealers though, the dealers in my experience were absolutely brilliant at taking my money and all presale issues, couldn't have been better when they wanted my money, but when the car starts getting issues that same level of service goes, I even got told I didn't know how to close a bonnet and that the rattle was normal , Christ I even went to the dealer to drop the car off for the repair to the exhaust and they had given the loan car I was meant to have to someone else, the bmw service waiting room was full of people angry, never seen anything like it.

I can only speak from my own personal experience but all the issues aside, when the car behaves its a brilliant car, just that niggle now that I am stuck with this car and potential issues and aftersales issues for another 3+ years, frustrates me

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:46 pm

I totally agree, I love the car and how it drives, I had an excellent sales experience, but it's when things go wrong and the aftersales service that gets to me.
There is a poll somewhere on this forum about numbers of problem exhausts if you do a search. All I would say is that if you are fussy like me, then things like this will get to you, but maybe I am the exception to the rule, along with a few others on this forum. Maybe we also need a section on this forum about good/bad dealers? At least then potential buyers could look at the dealers in their area to make a judgement on who to go to.
In saying that, in my case BMW Customer services seem to be the main issue at the moment.

Maybe I need to stop my rant now and get over it.....

BillTheButcher
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BillTheButcher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 pm

JeffH wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:46 pm
There is a poll somewhere on this forum about numbers of problem exhausts if you do a search.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=103426

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am

Ok I have just been informed that I am now part of the club, from skim reading the above there appears to be no fix?//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a8fdbeb0a3 ... WA0000.mp4

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”