dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

Post by marco_polo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:17 am

A free MPE is the fix, if you can twist their arm.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:31 am

marco_polo wrote:A free MPE is the fix, if you can twist their arm.
If that actually works then that would be cool. But cant see that happening. Will read through the thread, thanks Marco for the heads up. Have booked it with BMW.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

mouse140i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mouse140i » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:05 am

There is no fix to the actual problem from BMW.

The OEM solution or workaround to symptoms is to replace with an MPE (either winning an arm wrestle with BMW or self funded). Or a home fix removal of the actuator that controls the rattling valve mechanism.

Good luck with your endeavors :D

Lawrence7

Post by Lawrence7 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:59 pm

I have just been in contact with my local dealership regarding the cold start rattle. I was told by the service manager that BMW UK have said to hold off on replacing the exhausts with the MPE straightaway as BMW are working on a fix for it. It's booked in for next week to have a look at and see what "my options are".

But it looks like it takes a while and a few tries before any action is taken.

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by barneym140i » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:55 pm

still cracks me up this, they were looking for a fix when I reported mine in October 2017, the exact wording they just gave you was what they said to me 5 months ago!

benjamint

Post by benjamint » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:28 pm

So mine went in for the exhaust rattle. (Had video evidence etc)

The fix they suggested was a "software" update. I'm willing to see if that fixes it but what was interesting is the service guy started to talk about PUMA cases without me prompting which suggests to me that the fix they suggest might not be a fix at all. Apparently I will have to submit a PUMA case when the rattle happens again. It all feels a bit hit and hope if you ask me.

To be continued..........

MI35i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MI35i » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:54 pm

those getting a free MPE, is it effecting your insurance?

B8sy86

Post by B8sy86 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Not sure if this will help anyone but I got a free MPE last year for the same issue.

1. My car was less than 3 months old which did help so I apologise to anyone reading this with an older model as it might not work.

2. I took 2 videos from separate occasions. Each time recording the noise, then showing the reg plate and then pointing camera at myself, confirming name and advising what the video shows.

3. After being told no and told to wait and told they would replace actuator which I refused. I sent a letter of intent to reject the vehicle via email.

4. The email advised after doing my own research I have found the actuator replacement does not resolve the issue and neither does a replacement standard exhaust, therefore I would accept an upgraded exhaust or reject the vehicle.

5. I gave 14 days for BMW to confirm they were taking the vehicle back or replacing the exhaust. (Trying to show patience)

6. I got confirmation within 24 hours that my dealer had received email. I got confirmation they were fitting a free MPE 48 hours after that. The exhaust was done within 7 days.

If you can reject the vehicle then don't be afraid to write the letter advising of your intent. They lose more money if you go through with it than the cost price of the MPE. Be warned you have to be willing to go through with it which I was fully prepared to give the vehicle back. Otherwise you're stuffed if they confirm they are taking back.

I would also advise that you need to be fair, I didn't care too much about an MPE, great I've got one but it's chrome and the other one looked better IMO. Don't go looking for the MPE, simply focus on that you know their fix doesn't work and are not willing to wait till it's too late to reject so either they provide fix now or take car back. I never once had to get angry or rude, in fact stayed very friendly and was given an opportunity to try multiple cars to replicate the noise and none of them did which also helped prove it's not a characteristic.

Good luck all.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

lighty92

Post by lighty92 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:55 pm

B8sy86 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 pm
Not sure if this will help anyone but I got a free MPE last year for the same issue.

1. My car was less than 3 months old which did help so I apologise to anyone reading this with an older model as it might not work.

2. I took 2 videos from separate occasions. Each time recording the noise, then showing the reg plate and then pointing camera at myself, confirming name and advising what the video shows.

3. After being told no and told to wait and told they would replace actuator which I refused. I sent a letter of intent to reject the vehicle via email.

4. The email advised after doing my own research I have found the actuator replacement does not resolve the issue and neither does a replacement standard exhaust, therefore I would accept an upgraded exhaust or reject the vehicle.

5. I gave 14 days for BMW to confirm they were taking the vehicle back or replacing the exhaust. (Trying to show patience)

6. I got confirmation within 24 hours that my dealer had received email. I got confirmation they were fitting a free MPE 48 hours after that. The exhaust was done within 7 days.

If you can reject the vehicle then don't be afraid to write the letter advising of your intent. They lose more money if you go through with it than the cost price of the MPE. Be warned you have to be willing to go through with it which I was fully prepared to give the vehicle back. Otherwise you're stuffed if they confirm they are taking back.

I would also advise that you need to be fair, I didn't care too much about an MPE, great I've got one but it's chrome and the other one looked better IMO. Don't go looking for the MPE, simply focus on that you know their fix doesn't work and are not willing to wait till it's too late to reject so either they provide fix now or take car back. I never once had to get angry or rude, in fact stayed very friendly and was given an opportunity to try multiple cars to replicate the noise and none of them did which also helped prove it's not a characteristic.

Good luck all.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
This is literally exactly what I did, luckily for me mine was 10 days old and sub 500 miles.

I didn't have to push at all with the dealer, I took it in and left it with them. In the meantime I cooked up a stink with BMW UK and emailed Park Lane (who I bought it from) to advise me how they want to come and collect it. The dealer rang a few hours later and mentioned they knew its an ongoing problem and that the only solution they have is to fit an MPE.

Just as a funny footnote. The lass on the other end of the phone at BMW UK managed to spark up an argument insisting it wasn't a fault with the car and simply a characteristic; then when I asked why it wasn't in any Promo or advertised she said she's not a technician so can't comment :?

MI35i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MI35i » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Mine was in Friday. First time. They did software update, wiped all my settings. Started car Saturday. Rattle. Sunday, rattle. Monday, rattle.

About to ring them and calmy mention of hundreds of cases with this part number actuator online.

Not sure id take the MPE as worried it will be a bit boy racer and have issues on a pcp handback, insurance decaring etc.

MI35i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MI35i » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Garage saying they have only seen on 140 & 240 not 135. Nonsense.

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Just got an email from sytners chigwell. They confirmed its a know issue which is great as saves alot of faffing around. Mpe was the fix but new fix due in 2-3 weeks so im told. Again really happy with sytner chigwell coming clean amd acknowledging the issue without even seeing the car, sounds like other dealerships are not so forthcoming.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

BillTheButcher
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BillTheButcher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Mine is rattling really badly now even when the exhaust has warmed up. It seems to be getting worse every time I start the car.

1st-bmw78

Post by 1st-bmw78 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi R88ory

What process did you go through to get the dealership to replace your back box. Did they replace it with an MPE ?

Ive taken mine to the dealer for the same annoying RAttle and which is doing my head i. they said customer service cannot help me out any further with this issue .😩

Dange20
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Dange20 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Still waiting for a reply from bmw saying there is a gox soon. I immeadiatly called bmw customer service, and advised them on what they are going to do, he said there is a fix coming which is a software update that will fix? I said it has had this already he said there is another one? Surely this will not fix it? He is going to ring me back tomorrow morning to find out what is going on, i think if i have to wait again i will send them a email with a letter of intent to reject the vehicle as i didnt buy a premium car for it to sound like a plumbers tool box!
2017 M140 Shadow Edition-Tinted Windows-Maxton Blades-Maxton Splitter-3D Spoiler-White-Mperformance Exhaust-M4style-Mirrors-Dynamic indicators-Gloss-Black-Diffuser

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”