dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

agoodm
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

Post by agoodm » Sat May 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Mine went in for the exhaust rattle, unstable idrive and loss of coolant issues yesterday. Its had various modules flashed and so far the rattly exhaust appears fixed. Car seems to hold lower revs in comfort if you drive carefully as well which appears to be leading to improved fuel economy.

Lead79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Lead79 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Lead79 wrote:
Lead79 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:55 pm
barneym140i wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:51 pm
Brilliant stuff, hope it gets you somewhere! nothing ventured nothing gained so they say!
Indeed! Thanks very much for yours and everyone's help so far.

I'll keep you posted.
They are ordering in and fitting a new standard back box... lets hope i wont be back here moaning again in a few months time :wink:
So, just picked the car up.... no rattle.

Not entirely sure what they actually did (was in a bit of rush so didn’t hang around asking questions), but whatever they have done has made it sound not as it used too, definitely not as loud now Image going to live with it for a few days, see how things go.

I’ll have a look underneath tomorrow, see what I can see that’s changed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 M140i LCI - stock

mustang993

Post by mustang993 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Well, I've just joined the team... :D
I wasn't sure if I've been hearing the exhaust rattle for the past few weeks, but today, it was more than obvious.
Car is out of warranty, so I don't expect lots of success, but I'm still going to pay a visit to a bmw dealer.

I have an 135, so an N55 engine. I have seen pictures of PuMA case for B58 engine (on this forum), but is there the same thing for the N55?

Si Bailey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Si Bailey » Wed May 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Awesome .... I've joined the club with this problem. I seem to have it pretty bad compared to some others.
Booked in with Fairfield on 30th May (which is a sore point already)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp5NT_u-zjE
OLD 120d - NEW M140i (BRUTUS)
Nurburgring Trip :D

CENTRAL ESSEX
NOW - F20 M140i Alpine White with ZF8 + Toys
GONE - E87 120d Sport

discostu49
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by discostu49 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 pm

I've got the rattle now and again and spoke with grassicks BMW they said they have never heard of this issue and also said to me I can't belive everything that is on google...I said I have a video and it is a known issue. He said he would need to get the car in which would be about 4 weeks away and if it's not a job that falls under warranty which would be at cost to me of £60 for and inspection. ..I've now wrote a email to BMW UK as felt like a numpty and clearly would have a fight on my hands with them.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

discostu49
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by discostu49 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm

I've heard anyone with the rattle can just disconnect the wire to the valve when it's open and just leave it open on cold start not sure if this will make the cold start quieter

Ty140i

Post by Ty140i » Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Si Bailey wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:09 pm
Awesome .... I've joined the club with this problem. I seem to have it pretty bad compared to some others.

Be interested what they say and how they treat you, compared to me

Keep us updated please
Tyler

Si Bailey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Si Bailey » Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Ty140i wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 pm
Si Bailey wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Be interested what they say and how they treat you, compared to me

Is yours from Fairfield in Leigh as well ?
I don’t think I’ve seen your post... what did they say to you then ??
Keep us updated please
Tyler
OLD 120d - NEW M140i (BRUTUS)
Nurburgring Trip :D

CENTRAL ESSEX
NOW - F20 M140i Alpine White with ZF8 + Toys
GONE - E87 120d Sport

Ty140i

Post by Ty140i » Wed May 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Evening
Yes From Leigh
And didn’t post anything on here, I had the rattle as bad as your video.
And got told :
Characteristics, never heard of the fault, took it in had software update...
Sent new video and got told it’s normal, long story short. They said they fitted a new spring and not heard anything yet, been about 2months

Interested as no one has mentioned Fairfield and we have all heard every story under the sun with different outcomes!
Hope it gets sorted ASAP!

Lead79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Lead79 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:10 am

discostu49 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm
I've heard anyone with the rattle can just disconnect the wire to the valve when it's open and just leave it open on cold start not sure if this will make the cold start quieter

I disconnected mine while i was waiting for the car to go in for repairs, tbh, i thought it sounded much better and louder! BMW have now replaced the rear silencer for new one, does not sounds a good IMHO... Was thinking about unplugging it again..
2017 M140i LCI - stock

Lead79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Lead79 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:17 am

Lead79 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 pm
Lead79 wrote:
Lead79 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Indeed! Thanks very much for yours and everyone's help so far.

I'll keep you posted.
They are ordering in and fitting a new standard back box... lets hope i wont be back here moaning again in a few months time :wink:
So, just picked the car up.... no rattle.

Not entirely sure what they actually did (was in a bit of rush so didn’t hang around asking questions), but whatever they have done has made it sound not as it used too, definitely not as loud now Image going to live with it for a few days, see how things go.

I’ll have a look underneath tomorrow, see what I can see that’s changed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So its the rear silencer that has been swapped out for a new one, looked under the car last night, it certainly doesn't look very new, few rust spots here and there, maybe thats just normal...? One thing i did notice in the tail pipe, is that the flap seems closer to the tip now, where as before you had to really look quite far up the pipe to see it...?

Noticed a vibrating sound on start up yesterday, much like it was before its start rattling loads... :roll:
Last edited by Lead79 on Thu May 17, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 M140i LCI - stock

Lead79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Lead79 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:20 am

mustang993 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:59 pm
Well, I've just joined the team... :D
I wasn't sure if I've been hearing the exhaust rattle for the past few weeks, but today, it was more than obvious.
Car is out of warranty, so I don't expect lots of success, but I'm still going to pay a visit to a bmw dealer.

I have an 135, so an N55 engine. I have seen pictures of PuMA case for B58 engine (on this forum), but is there the same thing for the N55?
Welcome to the club :lol: We need a team T-shirt or badge or something :wink: :lol:
2017 M140i LCI - stock

Lead79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Lead79 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:21 am

discostu49 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 pm
I've got the rattle now and again and spoke with grassicks BMW they said they have never heard of this issue and also said to me I can't belive everything that is on google...I said I have a video and it is a known issue. He said he would need to get the car in which would be about 4 weeks away and if it's not a job that falls under warranty which would be at cost to me of £60 for and inspection. ..I've now wrote a email to BMW UK as felt like a numpty and clearly would have a fight on my hands with them.

Jokers.. its so frustrating! You defo have a fight on your hands!
2017 M140i LCI - stock

paz325
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by paz325 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 am

discostu49 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Well that's generally stage 1 of the process, many others including myself have had the same initial response so just keep going as they know full well what the issue is. I was told on visit #3 or#4 that they had quite a few in with the same problem although initially I was told they had never come across this on visit #1.
M140i - 2017 5dr Auto

SirBiggles

Post by SirBiggles » Thu May 17, 2018 11:52 am

Well...had the backbox replaced in April (2nd or 3rd visit after much deliberation). 'Buzzing' vibration noise noticed straight away after this (less audible than the horrible rattly noise).

Car booked in on May-14th; they had it all day - when I went to pick it up "There's still no fix for this issue - it is being evaluated. The replacement backbox was a temporary fix".

THEN WHY DID THEY REPLACE THE BACKBOX???? Seriously... WTF.
M240i 8ZF SO | Was: MX5 MK1 NA (RIP) | E46 M3, CSL Remap/Intake (RIP) | Seat Leon FR Remap | Seat Ibiza Sport (RIP)

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”