dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Aubergine_Joe

Re: dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

Post by Aubergine_Joe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Well after 21k happy miles (apart from the current ongoing issue regarding loss of coolant) I eventually had the dreaded rattle. I'd reversed down a slight slope and parked the car for the night. The following morning, when starting the car, there it was during the initial start up. Very distinctive. Whipped out to video it but recording didn't pick it up and have since failed to replicate. Will monitor to see if it reoccurs.

gashead

Post by gashead » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Cant believe it my replacement mpe has started to rattle!!!

Ali_Z4C
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ali_Z4C » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 pm

I thought the MPE didn't have a valve to rattle hence it's a fix? Unless your taking m135i not m140i?

On a side note mines going in Friday for the replacement back box after them being on back order for ages. Has anyone asked/managed to keep their old back box or do they have to send them back to bmw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSport
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SilverSport » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:37 pm

gashead wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm
Cant believe it my replacement mpe has started to rattle!!!
Your MPE shouldn't rattle, at least not an M140i as that has no flap to rattle..
Ali_Z4C wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 pm
I thought the MPE didn't have a valve to rattle hence it's a fix? Unless your taking m135i not m140i?

On a side note mines going in Friday for the replacement back box after them being on back order for ages. Has anyone asked/managed to keep their old back box or do they have to send them back to bmw?

Tried to keep my old back box when I had the MPE fitted, no luck, they wanted to keep it and it was a flat out no.
M140i / AW / MPE

gashead

Post by gashead » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Ali_Z4C wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 pm

its on a 235 and it has started buzzing on a cold start , then disappears after about 20 secs???

petrolkev

Post by petrolkev » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:24 am

Make sure the flap is already open then unplug it. I did mine a few weeks ago; no more embarassing cold starts and to my ears, it doesn't sound much different.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am

petrolkev wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:24 am
Make sure the flap is already open then unplug it. I did mine a few weeks ago; no more embarassing cold starts and to my ears, it doesn't sound much different.
Think I'm going to unplug mine this weekend. I've decided the whole problem is the cold start and would be nice if we had the option to code it out.

The only time I've ever heard it rattle is at the frequency of the cold start. Above or below and it's fine, so I reckon it's the particular frequency of the cold start on the valve that causes it to start to loosen up and rattle over time. The annoying part is it probably wouldn't take much to fix if they simply put something like a silicone o-ring around the butterfly to absorb the vibrations.

petrolkev

Post by petrolkev » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 am

Sounds the same mine. Only on cold starts, 50% of the time so when BMW have it the problem doesn't happen and they cannot get an official sound clip of it. Doesn't matter I've emailed them a video of the noise clearly showing the reg of the car!

To be fair, they did replace the steering rack and rest of the car is great :)

RobM
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RobM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm from the Netherlands and heard the sound only now and then when I started the car shortly after a recent trip. In other words when the car was still warm. Now I'm in Italy and the sound can be heard at every start up. Even after the RPMs settle it can still be heard slightly. It is really embarrassing...
2017 F20 M140i

Dylanm135i

Post by Dylanm135i » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Yeah thats exactly how mine went, over time the little pin at the top of the valve comes loose and then starts vibrating all of the time and yeah is very very embarrissing! Get straight into your dealership asap!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

RobM
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RobM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Dylanm135i wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:51 pm
Yeah thats exactly how mine went, over time the little pin at the top of the valve comes loose and then starts vibrating all of the time and yeah is very very embarrissing! Get straight into your dealership asap!

I think it might even be worse than I thought. The rattle can be heard at startup, but also after during notmal driving. Between 1000 and 1500 rpm the rattle can be heard. Putting it in sports or normal mode doesn't really change anything. Had a look at the flap, and when switching modes nothing happens (I always thought it should open in sports mode?). When touching the flap there is absolutely no resistance, and you can wiggle it to all positions. Nothing seems to be holding it in a certain position. The pin on top you mentioned can't be seen. So I think something came loose. I'll upload a movie of it this evening.

Bad part is that when driving around in town the car is often around 1250 rpm, and that's exactly where the sound is at it's loudest. Really embarrassing to drive around...

As I'm on holiday in Italy I can't go to my own dealer, and I'm not really looking forward to visiting a local dealership. I think communication will be difficult. Anyone can think of a fix to keep it forced open? Loosening the plug won't work, as the flap isn't opened or closed anymore. I think there is something broken between the flap and the thing (actuator/motor?) moving it...
2017 F20 M140i

scotia
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by scotia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:40 pm

I’ve got the same issue RobM. The fixing bow is completely missing so the flap constantly rattles.

I’m 2 weeks into a 4 week wait to get it fixed. I’ve given the dealer the part number and photos of my exhaust showing the missing part. They want my car in to look at it, so they better have the part ordered - they’ve been useless so far.

Now: M240i | MG-Oyster | Auto | Adaptive | Driver comfort | Visibility | Pro media | HK | Folding mirrors | Heated steering wheel | Heated seats | Lumbar support

Then: Z4 2.5si Sport | Montego Blue-Pearl Grey | Xenon | PDC | Heated seats | ZHP

Dylanm135i

Post by Dylanm135i » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Yeah thats what it is the fixing bow becomes so loose that the valve wont change position and it just rattles about, mine was really bad about 2 weeks before I got the mpe, I just phoned bmw emergency service, boy came out and managed to wrap a bit of wire cable around it and soldered it to keep it in place, managed to keep it quiet for the full 2 weeks !

Dylanm135i

Post by Dylanm135i » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:03 pm

scotia wrote:I’ve got the same issue RobM. The fixing bow is completely missing so the flap constantly rattles.

I’m 2 weeks into a 4 week wait to get it fixed. I’ve given the dealer the part number and photos of my exhaust showing the missing part. They want my car in to look at it, so they better have the part ordered - they’ve been useless so far.

Its pretty much guaranteed they wont have the part in, I would just keep pesterin them to sort it and they eventually will, maybe lol

RobM
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RobM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 pm

scotia wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:40 pm
I’ve got the same issue RobM. The fixing bow is completely missing so the flap constantly rattles.

Now I'm curious about this fixing bow. Could you post the pictures here?

Did some googling and indeed, the fixing bow is missing! Anyone got the part number?
2017 F20 M140i

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”