M140i coolant warning?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

User avatar
Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1417
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:02 pm
Location: Limbo

M140i coolant warning?

Post by Stegosaurus » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Hopped in my 140i this evening and as I started her up the coolant low warning came on. Shut the car off, left it a moment (deciding whether to take the gfs polo or not) then started it back up, however the warning didn't appear again.

I've driven it a couple of times since, but the warning hasn't reoccurred. Could the initial warning have been a sensor throwing a tantrum because it's cold outside? (Would have been -1 or 0 out)

Can't smell any coolant so don't think it's leaking, but haven't had a chance to check the tank as its dark.

17 plate, 15k on the clock, 6 months old.
Message me if you want your car photoshopped :)
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 160mph achieved (autobahn)

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Stegosaurus wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:46 pm
Hopped in my 140i this evening and as I started her up the coolant low warning came on. Shut the car off, left it a moment (deciding whether to take the gfs polo or not) then started it back up, however the warning didn't appear again.

I've driven it a couple of times since, but the warning hasn't reoccurred. Could the initial warning have been a sensor throwing a tantrum because it's cold outside? (Would have been -1 or 0 out)

Can't smell any coolant so don't think it's leaking, but haven't had a chance to check the tank as its dark.

17 plate, 15k on the clock, 6 months old.
I've read that it the b58 drinks it, as you've said you can check it manually. There is a tread on this somewhere I remember reading it sometime this week, have a quick search should answer you're question.

Edit

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96077
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 51140
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by marco_polo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 am

B58's are renowned for losing lots of coolant, I'd love to know where it all goes though? Anyone know?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1503
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by Jahjaman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:23 am

Who's B58s are losing coolant?
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

daboss1975
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by daboss1975 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:28 am

I checked mine during the summer (after reding posts on here) and it was below minimum so topped up

Checked again yesterday and back to the exact same level it was at previously i.e below minimum

I think its a faulty cap

User avatar
Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1417
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:02 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by Stegosaurus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:36 am

To top it up and check, do I just look in the tank on the left side of the engine? (I know which one it is) or is there a rad cap? also which coolant should be used?
Message me if you want your car photoshopped :)
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 160mph achieved (autobahn)

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'

andy1968
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:06 pm
Location: Cheshire

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by andy1968 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:52 am

Had the same issue the other week, we were parked on a slight angle. this must have triggered the sensor. Not happened again and coolant level looks OK
2017 M140i AW Auto

Ashley1992
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by Ashley1992 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 am

I’ve had bmw assist out on Wednesday from having no coolant in both tanks, topped them up and they was below min in morning. They came out did a pressure test and ran 15psi in each for 5 mins so no leaks. They topped them up and now seem to be holding well. Will check again when I go out. But Bmw service people said if it goes below min again ring assist and get them to recover it back to them. My cars back in for few things this Friday so will get them to check it all
2017 M240i - MPE ... instagram: ae54ash

User avatar
Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1417
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:02 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by Stegosaurus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:39 am

Right went out to check and couldn't for the life of me get the cap off. It feels almost like it's been cross threaded but I'd assume it's just a heavy duty cap to keep the pressure in the system.

So I moved the car around to see if any puddles appear below it, started the car and no warning came on, so that's 3 times now I've started it and nothing has come on. I'll assume it was just a tantrum and drive it as normal. Old man says he'll see if he can et the cap off when I get home :)
Message me if you want your car photoshopped :)
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 160mph achieved (autobahn)

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'

Ashley1992
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by Ashley1992 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:08 am

Stegosaurus wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:39 am
Right went out to check and couldn't for the life of me get the cap off. It feels almost like it's been cross threaded but I'd assume it's just a heavy duty cap to keep the pressure in the system.

So I moved the car around to see if any puddles appear below it, started the car and no warning came on, so that's 3 times now I've started it and nothing has come on. I'll assume it was just a tantrum and drive it as normal. Old man says he'll see if he can et the cap off when I get home :)
They are on tight mate I had to use two hands lol
2017 M240i - MPE ... instagram: ae54ash

User avatar
stevesurrey
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1737
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:56 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by stevesurrey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:03 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 am
B58's are renowned for losing lots of coolant, I'd love to know where it all goes though? Anyone know?
Read this on another forum

"Turboloader changed yesterday on warranty after low coolant message at 12k miles. According to the mechanics, turbo was leaking coolant water, but only internally, that's why no water leakage under the car. Water evacuated through exhaust pipe. Although the leak was very small. Dealer also said it's a known issue on B58 2016 production."
E81 120D (N47) SE+Dynamic Package, 2007/57, M Sports Suspension, Montego Blue, Pro HU+HiFi Speakers & Dipstick

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by NISFAN » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:09 pm

My theory is the bleeding at the factory is not great. This plus there seems to be a large swing in level between hot and cold.
It’s been reported that owners (340i) had to top up once then fine after that.

Mine needed a small top up cold. Seems ok now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

D6EML
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by D6EML » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Just had the coolant low warning on mine , 5k on the clock . Outside temp been 0 degrees .
AW M2 lci

D6EML
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by D6EML » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Just had the coolant low warning on mine , 5k on the clock . Outside temp been 0 degrees .
AW M2 lci

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1503
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Re: M140i coolant warning?

Post by Jahjaman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:28 pm

stevesurrey wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:03 pm
marco_polo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 am
B58's are renowned for losing lots of coolant, I'd love to know where it all goes though? Anyone know?
Read this on another forum

"Turboloader changed yesterday on warranty after low coolant message at 12k miles. According to the mechanics, turbo was leaking coolant water, but only internally, that's why no water leakage under the car. Water evacuated through exhaust pipe. Although the leak was very small. Dealer also said it's a known issue on B58 2016 production."
Link please?
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”