Autowatch Ghost fitters

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Autowatch Ghost fitters

Post by Stegosaurus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Anyone know where I can buy and have the Autowatch Ghost fitted in the Kent/Surrey area?

I emailed Autowatch last friday, and haven't heard anything back, and called them yesterday, and they said they would let me know of my nearest local fitter.... I have also yet to hear anything back - not overly impressed so far.

So does anyone have any recommendations, or knowledge as to where I can go to buy and have it fitted to my car?

Thanks
Message me if you want your car photoshopped :)
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 160mph achieved (autobahn)

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'

implicity
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Autowatch Ghost fitters

Post by implicity » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 pm

I emailed autowatch a couple of months ago (September..) and never got a reply. Pretty poor from them tbh as the added security is something I'd like to have for my car.
'67 EB M140i SE

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Unfortunately the sales guys at Autowatch don't do a good job of filling people with confidence. They use their installers as the main contact people, but I was surprised how they don't help themselves to sell the product better.

I went direct to Chris Preston of Veil Tuning based in Northampton and he gets great reviews by people as he knows the system inside out and is a really decent guy.

He'll travel to the South but Kent etc might be a bit of a push for him to be honest. If no-one know's of anyone closer you could try giving him a call and if he can't do might be able to put the wheels in motion so someone in the area can get in touch. If you google him his contact details are easy to find and he's on facebook.

There's a few companies like AutoDefence that do a nationwide service, but their prices are usually a bit higher than you'll pay elsewhere and I can't vouch for who they'll send.

Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stegosaurus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 pm
Unfortunately the sales guys at Autowatch don't do a good job of filling people with confidence. They use their installers as the main contact people, but I was surprised how they don't help themselves to sell the product better.

I went direct to Chris Preston of Veil Tuning based in Northampton and he gets great reviews by people as he knows the system inside out and is a really decent guy.

He'll travel to the South but Kent etc might be a bit of a push for him to be honest. If no-one know's of anyone closer you could try giving him a call and if he can't do might be able to put the wheels in motion so someone in the area can get in touch. If you google him his contact details are easy to find and he's on facebook.

There's a few companies like AutoDefence that do a nationwide service, but their prices are usually a bit higher than you'll pay elsewhere and I can't vouch for who they'll send.
Thanks for the info, to be honest though - I think I'd prefer to actually go to someone at a unit so they can fit it. Not keen on someone popping around to where I live to do it.

I agree with you about AW not selling their product well though, so far their customer service has been pretty shocking

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:10 pm

I got him to drop by where I work and he fitted it there.

Even I don't know where it's located in the car, but you enter a unique code that the fitter doesn't know and they give you a 'master code' on a card that is hidden until you scratch off the panel, so then even they have no control of the unit once you've changed the code.

Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stegosaurus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:10 pm
I got him to drop by where I work and he fitted it there.

Even I don't know where it's located in the car, but you enter a unique code that the fitter doesn't know and they give you a 'master code' on a card that is hidden until you scratch off the panel, so then even they have no control of the unit once you've changed the code.
I know haha, I've done a lot of research as of late :) I've just always preferred stuff like that being done in a workshop. No idea why. When i used to work on my old Civic and MX5 racecars, I always pushed them into the garage, instead of working on them on the driveway :lol:

Wes2811

Post by Wes2811 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi
You can get it fitted by
Bromley Car Audio BR2 9LD
Tel 0208 460 8704
e mail info@ bromleycaraudio.com

Les

michi
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by michi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:47 am

sorry bit off topic what happens when the car goes in to service / mot as you don't really want to give garage your pin code to start car ?

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:25 am

It has a valet/service mode. The fitter takes you through it all during the install.

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:44 am

Strange as AW got back to me the same day and also when I had questions regarding modes they responded very promptly. I also had issues with the iPhone app and they refunded me straight away.
Talking about the iPhone app, don’t bother with it as the range is to far and your car ends up basically disarmed if you’re phone is in your house.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:25 am

wenklaw wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:44 am
Talking about the iPhone app, don’t bother with it as the range is to far and your car ends up basically disarmed if you’re phone is in your house.
You should be able to just arm it through the app, so this isn't a problem, basically use the big button on the app to select armed or disarmed.

I guess it's a worry if you forget though and you're car is within bluetooth range of the phone.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the app anyway - I use Android so have no choice as they wont release the Android version due to security issues with phones, but now I'm so used to entering the code before driving off I probably wouldn't bother if they released it anyway.

LadyBayImp
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by LadyBayImp » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Sorry if it’s already been stated, but other than helping to stop someone nicking the car, have you heard it brings down insurance premiums?

If so, I’ll look into it myself - currently I’ll just get a new one courtesy of GAP cover.

Of course I get the inconvenience factor, but I also want to pay less than the £600 I’m shelling out this year.
Mineral Grey M240i Convertible Auto. Chrome MPE, matte black MP diffuser, matte black grilles, JB+

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:25 am
wenklaw wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:44 am
You should be able to just arm it through the app, so this isn't a problem, basically use the big button on the app to select armed or disarmed.

I guess it's a worry if you forget though and you're car is within bluetooth range of the phone.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the app anyway - I use Android so have no choice as they wont release the Android version due to security issues with phones, but now I'm so used to entering the code before driving off I probably wouldn't bother if they released it anyway.
Yep that’s the thing if you forgot. I’m not bothering with it.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:08 pm

LadyBayImp wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:49 pm
Sorry if it’s already been stated, but other than helping to stop someone nicking the car, have you heard it brings down insurance premiums?
I did ask them about this, as it's not currently Thatcham approved, but only because the specifications Thatcham uses are outdated and not really applicable for new software based measures (really only apply to hardware immobilisors).

Autowatch are apparently working with Thatcham to work on a new testing specification for these new types of software based immobilisor.

I don't mean to sound like an Autowatch sales guy, by the way, just passing on the info they gave me when I enquired as asked many of the same questions.

Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stegosaurus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Someone PM'd me (can't remember your name, but you know who you are) about a place near me in Guildford. How are some of you getting it fitted etc. for £350?? I'm being quoted £399 :(

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”