Where do you go from a Baby M?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by Ezzra » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:00 pm

A very, very difficult question to answer. One that I'm toying with right now. I love my M135i. The 8AT is perfect. The specification is spot on for me. I have it in my favourite colour, with my favourite wheels. My next purchase will be cash and I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford anything I want.
I've checked out the RS3, M2 and M4. Great cars, but as a DD inferior to the M135i. So I'll probably buy it in September at the end of the PCP, run it for another year and see if I feel the same :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

rydale13
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rydale13 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 am

Ok so can I be the only one seriously considering (when I'm ready) chopping in the Baby M for the new Hyundai i30N Performance?

Not only would it be more fun (as its more focused), there's more space, its 280 ish HP and for a 4 cylinder it actually sounds surprisingly good. Plus I'd be saving a fistful of cash on fuel and payments without compromising much else.

Can you imagine wiping the smile of say a Golf R and a bunch of other germanic metal in a hyundai? That alone is worth it's weight.

Looks pretty good too.. Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LadyBayImp
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by LadyBayImp » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:19 am

Not bad looking. Cross between an Alfa and a focus? Looks like they’ve nicked the 405m wheels. Like those.
Mineral Grey M240i Convertible Auto. Chrome MPE, matte black MP diffuser, matte black grilles, JB+

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:59 am

LadyBayImp wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:19 am
Not bad looking. Cross between an Alfa and a focus? Looks like they’ve nicked the 405m wheels. Like those.
That’s because Hyundai nicked Albert Biermann, ex-vice president of bmw m car engineering...
Still, that Hyundai would have to be considerably cheaper to be able to compete with the premium brands. ATM only Seat can pull that off with cheap Cupra 300 lease deals at about £250/months. Even at that price, I’d rather have the cupra, so the i30n would need to be even cheaper or considerable better. :roll:
Peter
M140i 5-door, Auto, MG with oyster and fineline + Bilstein B12 coilover kit

LadyBayImp
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by LadyBayImp » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:02 am

Plus it’ll have a 5 year warranty - wish the Germans would put their money where their mouths are, and back up the supposed better engineering with a warranty to match.
Mineral Grey M240i Convertible Auto. Chrome MPE, matte black MP diffuser, matte black grilles, JB+

strykeruk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by strykeruk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 am

Went form M135i auto to M4 CP. Not worth it as a "twice as expensive car."

That said the repayments arn't twice as expensive for obvious reasons.

I'm guessing it can only be used to full potential for @ 4 months of the year in the UK.

Traction control flashing like a Christmas light at 80 on the motorway in full kick down!!
M135i Sport auto, mineral grey, black leather, comfort package, media professional, PDC, adaptive suspension, comfort access, sun protection, folding mirrors, memory seats, seat heating, adaptive LEDs with HBA, Harman Kardon,

rydale13
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rydale13 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Peter.V wrote:
LadyBayImp wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:19 am
That’s because Hyundai nicked Albert Biermann, ex-vice president of bmw m car engineering...
Still, that Hyundai would have to be considerably cheaper to be able to compete with the premium brands. ATM only Seat can pull that off with cheap Cupra 300 lease deals at about £250/months. Even at that price, I’d rather have the cupra, so the i30n would need to be even cheaper or considerable better. :roll:
My thoughts exactly. Especially as I came from a Cupra 280 before the Baby M.

However, thus was the video that got me thinking about the Hyundai seriously...

Listen to that exhaust! Sounds properly special. At least to me.

https://youtu.be/pSJU7SWYgxw

mikeyw85
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mikeyw85 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:38 pm

rydale13 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 am
Ok so can I be the only one seriously considering (when I'm ready) chopping in the Baby M for the new Hyundai i30N Performance?
The i30N does seem good. If I couldn't stomach the looks of a Type R, that's probably how i'd go.

Trangofarm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Trangofarm » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:39 pm

I sold my M135i and moved onto a 440i Gran Coupe. I needed something a bit bigger and didn’t want to lose out on the engine front. Love the look of it and spec’d it with a few toys too (HUD, LSD, TMC tuning box & carbon fibre interior trim). Had it a year now and still well pleased with it.
F36 440i GC Auto - Mineral Grey

Trangofarm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Trangofarm » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:39 pm

I sold my M135i and moved onto a 440i Gran Coupe. I needed something a bit bigger and didn’t want to lose out on the engine front. Love the look of it and spec’d it with a few toys too (HUD, LSD, TMC tuning box & carbon fibre interior trim). Had it a year now and still well pleased with it.
F36 440i GC Auto - Mineral Grey

Jonhoe
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jonhoe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:06 pm

How much did Evo get paid for that advert for the Hyundai?

Interior looked worse then a Corsa, 6.1 seconds to 60 isn’t a hot hatch not by today’s standards IMO.

At 28k, it’s more expensive then a TRL m140.

Sounds wonderful and I’m sure it handles better then a M140, though cheap upgrades can fix most of the issues (ok warranty issues).

It’s that interior I can’t get over though, so basic.
M135i, EB, auto + toys

Thrash
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Thrash » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:04 pm

rydale13 wrote:

Not only would it be more fun (as its more focused), there's more space, its 280 ish HP and for a 4 cylinder it actually sounds surprisingly good. Plus I'd be saving a fistful of cash on fuel and payments without compromising much else.

Can you imagine wiping the smile of say a Golf R and a bunch of other germanic metal in a hyundai? That alone is worth it's weight.

How’s it gonna wipe the smile off a Golf R? It’s considerably slower on paper.
On a PCP they’re more expensive than better cars due to the depreciation.
2018 Mercedes-Benz C200 AMG Line Coupe Polar White
2017 BMW M140i Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats - gone!

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kylemacca01 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 pm

You would have to pay me good money to swap an m lite for a hyundai i30n performance.

rydale13
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rydale13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 am

Thrash wrote:
rydale13 wrote:

Ok so wiping the smile from an R was me getting a little carried away but I know who'd be having more fun. Plus, the golf would still be suprised something H-badged could keep up.

Im hoping they'll be better PCP deals once the car's been around for a while.

The Cupra had the exact same issue at launch. It was clearly more expensive than an R to lease or PCP by a considerable margin. 9 months or so post launch, the PCP/lease deals were much more attractive on the Cupra.

For me with the M-lite, I enjoy it. I love it. But for much of the time, it's too fast to even get it to break a sweat without hitting 3 figures. I'm getting bored.

This sounds nuts. But I drove the Mrs petrol Qashqai the other day and it put a smile on my face knowing that I could rag the absolute sh*t out of it in almost every of its gears and still place nice with road laws.

Im not saying I want a qashqai, nor am I saying I want anything anywhere near as slow. But there's something to say about 10-20% less power and having 50% more fun. It's not for everyone, but I'm potentially interested.

The N Performance reminds me of the Suzuki Swift sport but with more power. That's no bad thing to own!

I did say I thought I was the only one considering it. Seems I am! There's one thing I know for sure I don't want/need and that I feel is more power.

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:46 am

rydale13 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 am
Thrash wrote:
rydale13 wrote:

Ok so wiping the smile from an R was me getting a little carried away but I know who'd be having more fun. Plus, the golf would still be suprised something H-badged could keep up.

Im hoping they'll be better PCP deals once the car's been around for a while.

The Cupra had the exact same issue at launch. It was clearly more expensive than an R to lease or PCP by a considerable margin. 9 months or so post launch, the PCP/lease deals were much more attractive on the Cupra.

For me with the M-lite, I enjoy it. I love it. But for much of the time, it's too fast to even get it to break a sweat without hitting 3 figures. I'm getting bored.

This sounds nuts. But I drove the Mrs petrol Qashqai the other day and it put a smile on my face knowing that I could rag the absolute sh*t out of it in almost every of its gears and still place nice with road laws.

Im not saying I want a qashqai, nor am I saying I want anything anywhere near as slow. But there's something to say about 10-20% less power and having 50% more fun. It's not for everyone, but I'm potentially interested.

The N Performance reminds me of the Suzuki Swift sport but with more power. That's no bad thing to own!

I did say I thought I was the only one considering it. Seems I am! There's one thing I know for sure I don't want/need and that I feel is more power.

That’s why I want a base 2.7 cayman/boxster. You can ring out the beautiful flat 6 without even breaking the speed limit... by much :twisted:
Peter
M140i 5-door, Auto, MG with oyster and fineline + Bilstein B12 coilover kit

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”