Where do you go from a Baby M?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1592
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 am
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by KR15 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:57 am


rydale13 wrote:
Thrash wrote:
rydale13 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 am


For me with the M-lite, I enjoy it. I love it. But for much of the time, it's too fast to even get it to break a sweat without hitting 3 figures. I'm getting bored.

This sounds nuts. But I drove the Mrs petrol Qashqai the other day and it put a smile on my face knowing that I could rag the absolute sh*t out of it in almost every of its gears and still place nice with road laws.

Im not saying I want a qashqai, nor am I saying I want anything anywhere near as slow. But there's something to say about 10-20% less power and having 50% more fun. It's not for everyone, but I'm potentially interested.

The N Performance reminds me of the Suzuki Swift sport but with more power. That's no bad thing to own!

I did say I thought I was the only one considering it. Seems I am! There's one thing I know for sure I don't want/need and that I feel is more power.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
This is why I enjoy taking the wife's Cooper S out sometimes. You can drive it much harder than the 140 on the roads.

The exhaust also sounds like an AK-47 going off in the boot :D

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

rydale13
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by rydale13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 am

I'd likely love the idea of a Cooper S. However with two kids and all the boot load of stuff that comes with them, I need more space.

The M135i just about has enough space. Can't afford to go smaller!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


Bingers
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by Bingers » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:17 am

The wife also has a mini Cooper S and as said above it is a really fun car to drive.

I drove my dads C350e on Friday which has the premium plus pack and the feel of a car with much less cabin noise and more refinement is a factor im considering when i change cars, i loved the panoramic roof, sound system and also i liked the fact that the c class didn't feel as big as it is (compared to the 140i). Although if i were to get a c class the dream would be the 63s but in reality the c43 is far more within my price range. I imagine the same would be said with the 3 series in terms of refinement and comfort.

Long and short of it is I've definitely decided a saloon in next on the list for me.... unitl I change my mind again!
Last edited by Bingers on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Estoril Blue M140i 5dr, Auto, couple of options, MPE.

S1wnw
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:16 am

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by S1wnw » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 am

I chop and change quite often and now have baby two on the way. If I change it will be a similar cash value so am looking at 280 cupra st or a 2012 s4 Avant.

User avatar
binocular
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by binocular » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:10 pm

981 Cayman S was my choice - no regrets


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alpine White F20 M135i, auto, adaptive, MPE.

martin85
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by martin85 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:37 pm

I have had my M140i for 4 months now and I know people are going to think I am mad, but I just haven't fallen in love with it like I thought I would. My main issues are the fact that it seems impossible to get the power down and the harshness of the ride. The ride isn't horrendous to be fair and like the fuel economy, you don't buy an M140 and expect it to be economical or like driving a cloud (best analogy I could come up with) but the three times (due to traffic) a week I can put my foot down, I would like it to go instead of just spinning its wheels.

I don't have winters on it and I appreciate it has been the winter but we get rain most of the year and I guess I'm just not feeling another 2.5 years of it. Maybe I'm being overly picky and just need winters/wait for the summer. Has anyone else felt like this or is it just me being mad?

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by Manc M135i » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 pm

I’m 4 months into my M140i and after the Motech springs, spacers and brace really enjoying it. That said when I come to change in a couple of years I’m going to be looking at the new shape M340i. More space, refinement and hopefully better HK sound system.

In the last 6 years I’ve gone M135i - M235i and now the M140i so ready for a change!

SOL111
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 am

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by SOL111 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 pm

martin85 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:37 pm
I have had my M140i for 4 months now and I know people are going to think I am mad, but I just haven't fallen in love with it like I thought I would. My main issues are the fact that it seems impossible to get the power down and the harshness of the ride. The ride isn't horrendous to be fair and like the fuel economy, you don't buy an M140 and expect it to be economical or like driving a cloud (best analogy I could come up with) but the three times (due to traffic) a week I can put my foot down, I would like it to go instead of just spinning its wheels.

I don't have winters on it and I appreciate it has been the winter but we get rain most of the year and I guess I'm just not feeling another 2.5 years of it. Maybe I'm being overly picky and just need winters/wait for the summer. Has anyone else felt like this or is it just me being mad?
I don't think there's anything wrong with not falling in love with the car and know what you mean about its foibles. I bought a car that was in stock and it came with runflats so part of the harsh ride, for me, is due to them so am waiting to change.

I also know what you're saying about the traction but was expecting it TBH. I had a 120d before and an MR2 prior to that and never had traction issues but they had nowhere near 335bhp. I've just had to learn how to regulate the accelerator but can imagine any car with 335bhp would have traction issues in the wet/cold.

Personally I still love mine as all cars have limitations and am happy to put up with a few for what is overall a fantastic package.

Hope you stick it out and get on better but if not then perhaps something with 4wd?

martin85
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by martin85 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:22 pm

SOL111 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 pm
martin85 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:37 pm
I have had my M140i for 4 months now and I know people are going to think I am mad, but I just haven't fallen in love with it like I thought I would. My main issues are the fact that it seems impossible to get the power down and the harshness of the ride. The ride isn't horrendous to be fair and like the fuel economy, you don't buy an M140 and expect it to be economical or like driving a cloud (best analogy I could come up with) but the three times (due to traffic) a week I can put my foot down, I would like it to go instead of just spinning its wheels.

I don't have winters on it and I appreciate it has been the winter but we get rain most of the year and I guess I'm just not feeling another 2.5 years of it. Maybe I'm being overly picky and just need winters/wait for the summer. Has anyone else felt like this or is it just me being mad?
I don't think there's anything wrong with not falling in love with the car and know what you mean about its foibles. I bought a car that was in stock and it came with runflats so part of the harsh ride, for me, is due to them so am waiting to change.

I also know what you're saying about the traction but was expecting it TBH. I had a 120d before and an MR2 prior to that and never had traction issues but they had nowhere near 335bhp. I've just had to learn how to regulate the accelerator but can imagine any car with 335bhp would have traction issues in the wet/cold.

Personally I still love mine as all cars have limitations and am happy to put up with a few for what is overall a fantastic package.

Hope you stick it out and get on better but if not then perhaps something with 4wd?
Mine came with MPSS but my Merc C-Class estate has RFs and it definitely makes a difference comfort-wise. I agree that to expect a rwd 335bhp car to not have trouble getting the power down at times would be silly but I guess I just didn't anticipate it happening as often as it does. As my daily I would not take this to the track, which I imagine is a huge amount of fun. Ultimately it probably comes down to me not thinking it through properly when buying the car and I am considering going down the 4wd route. My issue there would be whether I stay coupe/hatchback or go down the estate or suv route for more practicality (wife drives the Merc).

SOL111
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 am

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by SOL111 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Fair enough so good luck with the change. You've definitely got more choice as there's the Golf R, Audi S/RS3 or Merc A45 if you're staying with a hatch or various other models if you're looking for a saloon/coupé.

Personally I'm after an M2 but am only a year into my PCP so way off.

frazzle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by frazzle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:27 pm

I've been in an M135 for 4 years now. Still love it. No idea what will replace it. I suspect my budget wont change a lot but I do think four wheel drive would be helpful living up here in Scotland. Feels like the replacement M140 will be worth waiting for - I'm not sure when the S3 and Golf R will be replaced, or if there will be some sort of A43 but it feels like my next car will come from this lot.

Wildcards would be a Tesla 3 or if budget changes I could see maybe a c43 coming in.
65 - Mineral Grey Auto 5dr M135i
14 - Gone: Estoril Auto 5dr M135i.

martin85
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by martin85 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:56 pm

SOL111 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 pm
Fair enough so good luck with the change. You've definitely got more choice as there's the Golf R, Audi S/RS3 or Merc A45 if you're staying with a hatch or various other models if you're looking for a saloon/coupé.

Personally I'm after an M2 but am only a year into my PCP so way off.
I think the M2 looks great and obviously is a lot of fun to drive but would just further compound the issues I have with the M140i. Interestingly I just watched the Joe Achilles intro to the X3M40i and it sounds and looks fantastic.
frazzle wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:27 pm
I've been in an M135 for 4 years now. Still love it. No idea what will replace it. I suspect my budget wont change a lot but I do think four wheel drive would be helpful living up here in Scotland. Feels like the replacement M140 will be worth waiting for - I'm not sure when the S3 and Golf R will be replaced, or if there will be some sort of A43 but it feels like my next car will come from this lot.

Wildcards would be a Tesla 3 or if budget changes I could see maybe a c43 coming in.
Do you run winters on yours? The C43 is definitely an option I am looking at, alternatively the X3M40i/F-Pace for the suv route or S4 Avant/C43 estate maybe.

carlover
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by carlover » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:02 am

Hi

Only just found this thread and read the first 6 pages so apologies if this has been mentioned but Ive a gut feeling it hasnt. Has anyone seen a Kia Stinger in the flesh? Fantastic looking thing in real life no vid or photo does it justice. Gets great reviews as well has to be worth a look.

The only problem all of us will have I think is BMW have such big discounts that their equivelant cars to other marques ie 340i/jag xe-s for one (as long as you know these discounts are out there and we all do on here) are so much cheaper in real terms.

,,,,,,and that stinger comes in at about £40k but the PCP compared to a 440i which is supposedly £48k I think is so much higher its silly.

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1504
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by Jahjaman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:15 am

carlover wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:02 am
Hi

Only just found this thread and read the first 6 pages so apologies if this has been mentioned but Ive a gut feeling it hasnt. Has anyone seen a Kia Stinger in the flesh? Fantastic looking thing in real life no vid or photo does it justice. Gets great reviews as well has to be worth a look.

The only problem all of us will have I think is BMW have such big discounts that their equivelant cars to other marques ie 340i/jag xe-s for one (as long as you know these discounts are out there and we all do on here) are so much cheaper in real terms.

,,,,,,and that stinger comes in at about £40k but the PCP compared to a 440i which is supposedly £48k I think is so much higher its silly.
I've seen the Stinger on the road and have sat in it at the showroom.

We all know the good things about that car - twin turbo 6 cylinder, standard LSD, RWD layout. So I'll focus on the detracting points.

Cheap interior. Plastics and leather quality is still Kia quality. We have a cheap runaround Kia Cerato, and the plastics quality is very similar.
Exterior looks slightly "chintzy" with some chrome bits that are a bit unnecessary. Fake hood vents too...

Great value car though.
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

jimBabyBMW
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by jimBabyBMW » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:30 am

martin85 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:37 pm
I have had my M140i for 4 months now and I know people are going to think I am mad, but I just haven't fallen in love with it like I thought I would. My main issues are the fact that it seems impossible to get the power down and the harshness of the ride. The ride isn't horrendous to be fair and like the fuel economy, you don't buy an M140 and expect it to be economical or like driving a cloud (best analogy I could come up with) but the three times (due to traffic) a week I can put my foot down, I would like it to go instead of just spinning its wheels.

I don't have winters on it and I appreciate it has been the winter but we get rain most of the year and I guess I'm just not feeling another 2.5 years of it. Maybe I'm being overly picky and just need winters/wait for the summer. Has anyone else felt like this or is it just me being mad?
Do you have adaptive suspension?

We don't and wish we did, though is suspect it isn't going to turn it into a 7 series.
My only moan is the thimble sized fuel tank, i'm forever filling it up.

I've only really had traction issues in the wet, but to be honest i don't like driving fast on wet roads anyway so it doesn't bother me. It was great all over summer, i think we had plenty of dry days to enjoy the performance. Give it a chance, it'll be spring soon.

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”