Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Where do you go from a Baby M?

Post by Troy_McLure's_Assistant » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:48 pm

strike4A wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:51 pm
Myk-D wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 am
I saw you'd posted on the XBimmers Forum and was going to message you, as we both seem to be moving in the same direction. I'm looking forward to having the extra space and the upgrade in interior - it's obviously not going to drive like the M235i but hopefully it'll still put the occasional grin on my face.

When's yours due for delivery? What spec' have you gone for?
Ordered in October and it will be at the dealers in early Feb so I will probably wait for 1st March / plate change.

Spec:

Carbon black
Black vernasca leather/blue stitching
Aluminium rhombicle trim
Adaptive suspension
Sunroof
Folding mirrors
HUD
Sun protection glass
Acoustic glazing
EBT/Wireless charging
Parking Assistant Plus
HK
Lumbar
Extended storage

No packages but worked out slightly cheaper to avoid them as I didn't want gesture control, comfort access, heated steering wheel etc.

Good to see another convert to an X3 M40i on here!
This was posted on YouTube last week. The X3 M40i at full chat. Going by the speedo performance looks almost identical to the M140i. I’d definitely consider going for one!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZoHlT_MpE
M140i Shadow Edition - Sunset Orange - Pro Nav - Auto box - Reversing Camera - Driving Assistant - Apple CarPlay

Quattrodave
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Quattrodave » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Troy_McLure's_Assistant wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:48 pm
strike4A wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:51 pm
Myk-D wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 am
I saw you'd posted on the XBimmers Forum and was going to message you, as we both seem to be moving in the same direction. I'm looking forward to having the extra space and the upgrade in interior - it's obviously not going to drive like the M235i but hopefully it'll still put the occasional grin on my face.

When's yours due for delivery? What spec' have you gone for?
Ordered in October and it will be at the dealers in early Feb so I will probably wait for 1st March / plate change.

Spec:

Carbon black
Black vernasca leather/blue stitching
Aluminium rhombicle trim
Adaptive suspension
Sunroof
Folding mirrors
HUD
Sun protection glass
Acoustic glazing
EBT/Wireless charging
Parking Assistant Plus
HK
Lumbar
Extended storage

No packages but worked out slightly cheaper to avoid them as I didn't want gesture control, comfort access, heated steering wheel etc.

Good to see another convert to an X3 M40i on here!
This was posted on YouTube last week. The X3 M40i at full chat. Going by the speedo performance looks almost identical to the M140i. I’d definitely consider going for one!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZoHlT_MpE
Did either of you get any decent discounts on it? Broadspeed's showing £2k which is obliterated by just a couple of options!

Are you guys buying or pcping and if the latter what's the monthlies?

I'd like to keep my M140 and run this as our 330d replacement but it'll depend on what I can get it down to!

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markm240i » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:24 pm

It's a new car so discounts will be low to start with. Obviously a PCP monthly depends on GFV versus net price and interest on the amount financed. It would appear that BMW are offering 5.9% APR so not exactly a bargain in that respect.
Current - M240i 8AT
Previous - Audi S3 DSG, Porsche Boxster S 981 PDK, Porsche Cayman S, Audi TTRS, Porsche Boxster S 987
Mercedes SLK 350, BMW E46 M3, BMW Z4 3.0, Honda S2000, Honda Civic Type R, Peugeot 309 GTI

Quattrodave
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Quattrodave » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Yeah aware discounts will be low on a new new car and know a little bit about finance being an FCA and all ;)

What I didn't know was the future value of these things, having never really looked into SUV's before, especially given the impact of the swing back towards petrol powered cars, are we looking like 50% in three years, higher, lower? Range Rovers seem to be around the 60% mark after three years which is mental!

Quattrodave
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Quattrodave » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Okay thank you fleetnews! They've put 3 year residuals at £22k on the X3 M40i, so 40% - in line with most other cars then!

strike4A
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by strike4A » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:04 am

Quattrodave wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:14 pm
Did either of you get any decent discounts on it? Broadspeed's showing £2k which is obliterated by just a couple of options!

Are you guys buying or pcping and if the latter what's the monthlies?

I'd like to keep my M140 and run this as our 330d replacement but it'll depend on what I can get it down to!
Ordered in October and got 8% off so suspect you could do better now.

Am doing a 4 year PCP with GFV at £24,575 (basis earlier-mentioned spec) and APR 5.9% - put that into a PCP calculator and you can play around with deposit/monthlies.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/pcp-calculator
Current: X3 M40i Carbon Black
Previous: F22 M235i, E92 M3 Competition, E81 130i LE, E46 M3, Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus

Myk-D

Post by Myk-D » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:17 am

strike4A wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:04 am

Ordered in October and got 8% off so suspect you could do better now.

Am doing a 4 year PCP with GFV at £24,575 (basis earlier-mentioned spec) and APR 5.9% - put that into a PCP calculator and you can play around with deposit/monthlies.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/pcp-calculator
I also got 8% off. The GFV is something like 42% after 4 years so it helps with the monthlies. It's still quite a bit more than I was paying for the M235i but I've man-mathed my way into thinking it's a bargain as I'm replacing two cars lol.
Currently

M235i, Auto, Melbourne Red, Coral Leather, Adaptive, Pro Nav, Sunroof, Harmon Kardon.

Honda CRV 2.0i Sport.

Gone

M135i, 3dr, Auto, Mineral Grey, Coral Leather, Pro Nav + Internet, Sunroof, Harmon Kardon.

Mazda MX-5 Kuro.

fufty1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fufty1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:43 am

Surely the extra £15k isn't worth it over an m1/240i?
Current: M240i manual EB with cognac.
Gone: m135i auto MG

Myk-D

Post by Myk-D » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:06 pm

fufty1 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:43 am
You can't directly compare them like that - the X3 is a completely different animal to the 1-series. It's much bigger inside, and has a lovely interior. At the end of the day I was going to be paying more-than-235 money for an SUV, so I might as well get one with a decent engine.
Currently

M235i, Auto, Melbourne Red, Coral Leather, Adaptive, Pro Nav, Sunroof, Harmon Kardon.

Honda CRV 2.0i Sport.

Gone

M135i, 3dr, Auto, Mineral Grey, Coral Leather, Pro Nav + Internet, Sunroof, Harmon Kardon.

Mazda MX-5 Kuro.

fufty1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fufty1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Myk-D wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:06 pm
fufty1 wrote:
You can't directly compare them like that - the X3 is a completely different animal to the 1-series. It's much bigger inside, and has a lovely interior. At the end of the day I was going to be paying more-than-235 money for an SUV, so I might as well get one with a decent engine.
My questions isn't to degrade the x3 m40i. More I am trying to justify myself spending the money. Other half needs a new car, and trying to move in the SUV market with a family likely on the way etc.

Been looking at this and the rs q3 etc. which are evenly priced but struggling to justify the extra money which is my head is basically for slightly more metal and plastic really?
Current: M240i manual EB with cognac.
Gone: m135i auto MG

Myk-D

Post by Myk-D » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:38 pm

fufty1 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 pm
Myk-D wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:06 pm
fufty1 wrote:
My questions isn't to degrade the x3 m40i. More I am trying to justify myself spending the money. Other half needs a new car, and trying to move in the SUV market with a family likely on the way etc.

Been looking at this and the rs q3 etc. which are evenly priced but struggling to justify the extra money which is my head is basically for slightly more metal and plastic really?
That's ok, I knew what you meant. :)

I was struggling with the idea of spending a lot more on a car of the same size, like the RS3/M2/A45, which was an initial idea, when the M-Lites are so good. I can justify the extra outlay on the X3 because you get more internal space and metal for your money, so it's fulfilling a different role. Like I say, I'm replacing two cars with it, so that's made it easier to justify to myself.
Currently

Honda CRV 2.0i Sport.

Gone

Mazda MX-5 Kuro.

Pupples

Post by Pupples » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:26 am

I've ordered a X3 M40i as a replacement for my M135 and wife's Evoque. We don't really need 2 cars and slight compromises are involved :).
I wanted something reasonably fast, a little more room and she liked a high seating position and easy entry (she has a back problem) so its slightly logical and after a test drive I signed the deal.

It seems to have a fair edge over my M135 in a straight line and interior wise I cant see me owning anything better period. I also like the size of the boot as its in between Macan and Velar/F Pace - 2/3 suitcases should be doable without touching the luggage cover. I've thought many times about running a Cayman or suchlike but some of the joy of a driving holiday comes from taking things with you to use - clothes for extended trips and stuff to bring back (crates of bubbly from Epernay?), I now understand why people buy Bentley GC's...

Regarding paying a premium over the 1/2 series I think it depends how you look on it. 7 and 5 series chassis and tech, 5 series interior and probably will be the new class leader for 4-5 years, it isn't cheap! but then again I've heard X5 prices are much worse for not a lot more space or speed. I looked at the 5 series saloon but after a 1 series it seemed boat length and I sort of think I'm getting most of that just stacked higher.

Oh one final point about buying a car which may seem trival and even snobby is road presence/prestige. I drive a lot on the autoroute/motorway and in my M135i unless I accelerate 30/40km above someone in the fast lane and threaten them, which I find rude, lots of drivers will not move over to let me pass unless there are virtually no cars in the distance. Do the same thing in my wifes diesel Evoque and slowly sidle up and they cant wait to throw themselves into the slow lane even though it has barely half the power. I don't know if its because of the R Rovers image, the haunch of the Evoque is quite aggressive in your mirror or perhaps people think my 1 series is a 116d and will take an age to pass. Anyway I don't know the exact reason but if a Porsche comes up near me I tend to give the car/driver respect, some cars have that halo effect and some like the M135 don't.

bennyboysvuk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by bennyboysvuk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Pupples wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:26 am
Oh one final point about buying a car which may seem trival and even snobby is road presence/prestige. I drive a lot on the autoroute/motorway and in my M135i unless I accelerate 30/40km above someone in the fast lane and threaten them, which I find rude, lots of drivers will not move over to let me pass unless there are virtually no cars in the distance. Do the same thing in my wifes diesel Evoque and slowly sidle up and they cant wait to throw themselves into the slow lane even though it has barely half the power. I don't know if its because of the R Rovers image, the haunch of the Evoque is quite aggressive in your mirror or perhaps people think my 1 series is a 116d and will take an age to pass. Anyway I don't know the exact reason but if a Porsche comes up near me I tend to give the car/driver respect, some cars have that halo effect and some like the M135 don't.
My wife has a black X3 35d and I find the same as you when driving it. Few people move over for my M3, but the X3's quite the path-clearer!
2008 E92 M3 Manual
2009 Yamaha R1

Previous - 22 other car/bike/van variations incl E46 M3, Z4 M Roadster, E36 M3, E30 325i (with LSD), E36 328i Sport (with LSD), 2014 M135i Manual EB 5dr

rydale13
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rydale13 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Anyone gone from a Baby M to an RS3?

Seen a immaculate used example pop up and it's got me thinking.

Going on engine alone, that 2.5 litre 5 pot is hard to ignore...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kylemacca01 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:46 pm

I went m140i to an X4 35d and I have no regrets what so ever, honestly don't miss the baby m at all.

The X4 has so much road presence, it's nicer inside and looks better on the outside. Its also got a better spec with 20" alloys, far better HK, big sunroof etc.

The 35d is a brilliant engine and really gives a 2 tonne car some punch. I am a real SUV convert and can't see myself going back to a lower car any time soon.

Would be great with the M40i engine but alas that car doesn't exist in the uk. In many ways the diesel suits this kind of car, plus I'm getting 30% better mpg that the m140i in a much heavier car.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”