bit naive , bit stupid

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

RJW_1989
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

bit naive , bit stupid

Post by RJW_1989 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 am

so i have had my MPE fitted for about a week now and as everyone says they get better with time so have been using any excuse to stick a few miles on the car , obviously it only takes a look outside the window to see that conditions are less than M140i favorable , but no matter! to the petrol station we went as i had a free afternoon. the weather was -1 on the computer and the surface was wet so naturally i was a bit tentative and wasnt out for a "hoon" as such , just a drive really .... anyway, i was heading towards grassington and that route takes me under the leeds bradford airport runway tunnel this introduced what is commonly described as a "brain fart " ... Sport+, Sport gearbox , windows down and a purposeful stamp on the loud one , its probably a 300metre run at best ..... the car did its thing and took off but going from 3rd into 4th it spat the back end out slightly and began to tank slap , before i knew it we were really licking on and the car felt so unstable i darent but any kind of major input into the car as i had no idea how it was going to behave the steering was light as a feather , the traction light was flashing and the weight was shifting from right to left and gathering momentum , there was no one else in the tunnel or anything so i was only worried about hitting the wall and possibly having the run way shut haha , but in the end i managed a cool head and eased off the throttle while paddling up the gears to try and get out of the power band.

sport mode OFF... Sport gearbox OFF... comfort mode ON.... i drove like miss daisy for the rest of the day , iv driven some quick motors and iv driven some quick motors in worse conditions but i have never been caught out like that before, i genuinely think the run flats didnt help , too hard , the lack of an lsd became very apparent and the rear set up is just too hard for conditions like that, i also think the 245's on the back isnt enough.... however saying all of that it was completely my fault a ridiculous thing to do and very nearly got bit ..... go steady in this weather!!!

cheers

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: bit naive , bit stupid

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 am

Pleased to hear you got away with it. :) We don't need any more M-Lite insurance claims, my policy has increased enough already!

Runcraps are deadly at the best of times. Even worse in winter, as the thick rubber carcass takes longer to heat up than a proper tyre.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

RJW_1989
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RJW_1989 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 am
Pleased to hear you got away with it. :) We don't need any more M-Lite insurance claims, my policy has increased enough already!

Runcraps are deadly at the best of times. Even worse in winter, as the thick rubber carcass takes longer to heat up than a proper tyre.
i was never that sure that decent tyres would make a difference when i was younger as the cars were all below 150 bhp front drive , the 140 is different animal and needs some decent rubber .... my old man laughed at me and said of course it matters they are the only part of the car touching the road!.... even at 30 year old your parents have a way of getitng the penny to drop haha .... would you go MPSS then? what do you do about a spare ??

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:15 am

Takes a big man to make a post like this.

However, I’m pretty sure you’d of said nothing had you actually kissed the tunnel wall lol

Much abuse would of ensued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+Strut+intake+skirts+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-M135i front brakes-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by glen8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 am

Yep, as I found out yesterday.....and reading three other posts on this forum now....if you must drive it in the snow, change tyres!

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am

RJW_1989 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 am
would you go MPSS then? what do you do about a spare ??
What do you do for a spare currently? Where would you have gone yesterday, with all the tyre centres closed? You can't drive far on a deflated Runcrap.

Just do your best to be on the right tyre for the right conditions, really annoying that BMW fitted our cars with such skinny rear alloys which prevents fitting anything wider. MPSS are excellent dry/summer tyres. GY Asym 3 are worse in the dry, but better in the wet.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Matt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:00 am

Haha, I know that tunnel! Glad you got away without a scratch. Take it easy.
Now:
M140i F20 Auto in Mineral Grey (B58)

Gone:
125D F20 LCI MSport Auto in Alpine White (B47)
120D E81 LCI MSport Auto in Space Grey (N47)
118D E87 LCI Sport Manual in Black Sapphire (N47)

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am
Just do your best to be on the right tyre for the right conditions ...
On that subject (and I probably should start another thread) but any opinions on all season tyres? Reasonable compromise or masters of none?
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:23 am

Uncle Tupelo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 am
marco_polo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am
Just do your best to be on the right tyre for the right conditions ...
On that subject (and I probably should start another thread) but any opinions on all season tyres? Reasonable compromise or masters of none?
I like Michelin CrossClimates, which are arguably an all-season?

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:25 am

Interesting - I'll check those out. I like the concept of all season - no need for a second set of wheels or a seasonal tyre change.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:51 am

Uncle Tupelo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:25 am
Interesting - I'll check those out. I like the concept of all season - no need for a second set of wheels or a seasonal tyre change.
Not really true. "All Season" tyres are simply a compromise of everything, they're still not truly designed as winter tyres, simply better than summer tyres in cold conditions. If you live in the North and suffer with a lot more snow etc then I'd still consider proper winters, but for a lot of the UK however they are a decent compromise where you might only actually need to drive in snow a handful of times, especially in the south.

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:51 am
Uncle Tupelo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:25 am
Not really true. "All Season" tyres are simply a compromise of everything, they're still not truly designed as winter tyres, simply better than summer tyres in cold conditions. If you live in the North and suffer with a lot more snow etc then I'd still consider proper winters, but for a lot of the UK however they are a decent compromise where you might only actually need to drive in snow a handful of times, especially in the south.
I live in Scotland, but for the past few years (probably since the bad winter of 2010), we've had very little serious snow too. Appreciate that purpose designed tyres are always going to be better in really snowy conditions, but if all-season tyres are better than summer tyres in the little snow we get and not much worse than summer tyres in summer, then I suspect that compromise (coupled with my xDrive) might be good enough for me. But I appreciate that introducing xDrive is steering this away from M-lite territory and I've thread/forum hi-jacked enough!

rm1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rm1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:21 pm

all season tyres are a great compromise in a run around or 4 wheel drive but in a 300+bhp rear wheel drive you need the best tyres i.e top quality summers for most of the year and winter tyres if you need to get about in sub zero conditions.
As has been said many are writing off mlites even with the right tyres so running all seasons isnt going to help.
Actually these cars are too powerful for many of the inexperienced and over confident youngsters who have the disposable income to rent them on pcp deals.

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm

rm1 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:21 pm
all season tyres are a great compromise in a run around or 4 wheel drive but in a 300+bhp rear wheel drive you need the best tyres i.e top quality summers for most of the year and winter tyres if you need to get about in sub zero conditions.
As has been said many are writing off mlites even with the right tyres so running all seasons isnt going to help.
Actually these cars are too powerful for many of the inexperienced and over confident youngsters who have the disposable income to rent them on pcp deals.
Apologies, but as I said above, I'm forum-jacking; I run a 220d xdrive, not an M-lite (and sadly, it's a long time since I could pass as a youngster). I hi-jacked the thread on the back of Marco's "right tyres" comment, but I'll back out now.

Maybe I'll star a thread upstairs though ...

rm1
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rm1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Uncle Tupelo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm
rm1 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:21 pm
Apologies, but as I said above, I'm forum-jacking; I run a 220d xdrive, not an M-lite (and sadly, it's a long time since I could pass as a youngster). I hi-jacked the thread on the back of Marco's "right tyres" comment, but I'll back out now.

Maybe I'll star a thread upstairs though ...
I am sure a 220d with x drive on all season tyres is probably a very good compromise but its not a 140/240 which is what I was referring to.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”