Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: ANOTHER attempted theft

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:23 pm

BillTheButcher wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm
Just to make things more interesting: I was told by a local copper that if you have a lot more security on your house than your neighbours then it will attract the attention of a different flavour of ****. The rationale is that if you've got gates, floodlights, CCTV, etc. then you must have something really worth nicking. :|
Agreed. CCTV is not a deterrent apparently, it's seen as an invitation. I was thinking of fitting dummy cameras, but was advised against it by local Plod.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

John46

Post by John46 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Exactly what I thought. It’s identical to mine and no way it’s a 2013. The police came and only checked the reg number. Which states white bmw 135i 2013. It’s a joke that they seem like it’s just a car and can’t be bothered.

Timbartlett

Post by Timbartlett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:00 pm

cadmunkey wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:43 pm
Do you live facing a busy road? 4 days is very quick for it to become a target.
No mate, bottom of an new build estate tucked away at the end of cul-de-sac, zero through road. Literally couldn’t be further away from the main road leading me to think it’s a stolen to order sort of thing, maybe seen it in the local area. 4 days means I’m either very very very unlucky or they have been watching. Can see a few nervous nights on the horizon.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Locoblade wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:48 pm
OneTwenty wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 am
Just try your local locksmith place and ask for anti snap locks, ABS and Ultion are the best.
ABS were the best a few years ago, and although much much better than a crappy standard euro cylinder that can be defeated with mole grips I wouldn't buy them out of choice now having seen videos like these, especially not the most popular Avocet model. The trouble is they're a victim of their own success in a way, because that particular lock became so popular a lot of time has been invested by locksmiths (and criminals presumably) to find ways to defeat them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNBCyxSvBjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcPbAy-uMhM
Agreed, that's one of the reasons I didn't go for ABS but I know they are popular. :)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:13 pm

R1cey wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 pm

Under lab conditions....

The first video doesn’t show what needed to be done, before getting to that stage.
The second video shows more, but the person has the original key to assist.

While locksmiths will likely have all sorts of kits, how many scrotes are wandering about with several kits for all different locks? A lot more difficult to use in the dark and under a bit more pressure.
As I said in another thread, secure cylinder locks also fitted with secure handles (e.g. Mila, which actually “hide” the cylinder), all help protect/deter.

Just like any manufacturer, constant improvements are made during the product lifecycle, so do these kits work on the latest locks? The Avocet (looking at their website), meets all the latest security standards.

At the end of the day, if they are looking for easy and quick entry, then having secure locks/handles/alarm will hopefully persuade them to move on.
If it was someone just shoving a homebrew tool into the lock then I'd agree that you shouldnt put too much weight behind it, but both videos feature retail kits specifically designed to defeat that lock in particular so it's obviously something that can be achieved without cheating by damaging the lock beforehand etc. The Avocet design might have been improved during its lifetime but there's no mention of that on their web page and its been 3 star and Sold Secure rated for several years before these videos were made. Do the tests used in those accreditations include whether specific tools to combat the lock are available, not sure but I suspect not as they mainly focus on things like the ability to pick the lock or forcefully compromise the lock by snapping etc?

As I said though they're still far better than standard locks and yes very few criminals are going to resort to buying and carrying tools like that around so I wouldn't rush round replacing them if I have them in my doors already. However, given how many times the name ABS gets mentioned as the de-facto choice I think it's worth highlighting because if buying today I personally think you'd be daft spending £50 per lock on those when there's other products costing a similar amount that don't have the same vulnerability.

Nathan135i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nathan135i » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Timbartlett wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 am

Heywood/Manchester/OL10 area.
From November - December Heywood had more than 2 robberies per night. Mate had his front door kicked in and stole everything in broad daylight.

I'm pretty sure some of these theft are targeting this site and know whereabouts we live as well as the old fashioned drive about until they find something they like. The thieves/kids are just the start of the plan for chopping them up and being sold as parts. Even a few garages i have been to around this area have brought up chopping, even using a recovery vehicle to nab them.

On another note, i have found these items that may help anyone who is worried.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patlock-Instan ... h+security

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightlock-Secu ... +barricade

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Door-Loc ... HF2VHKFYYG

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frostfire-5014 ... HF2VHKFYYG
M135i F20 | EB | Pro Media | HK Audio | Sun Protection | Visibility Pack | Comfort Pack | Black Panel Display | Heated Seats

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:23 pm
BillTheButcher wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm
Just to make things more interesting: I was told by a local copper that if you have a lot more security on your house than your neighbours then it will attract the attention of a different flavour of ****. The rationale is that if you've got gates, floodlights, CCTV, etc. then you must have something really worth nicking. :|
Agreed. CCTV is not a deterrent apparently, it's seen as an invitation. I was thinking of fitting dummy cameras, but was advised against it by local Plod.
Yep CCTV really isn't worth having as it does what exactly? Records people in hoods etc which is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard PLUS the Police wont be interested in the footage unless it turns in to an aggravated burglary but again footage will be useless probably. CCTV in my view is probably only any good for catching drunken vandals who are to stupid or drunk to cover their faces.

Motion detection cameras are however worth it IMO as they gives people a heads up on any attempts at breaking in before it actually happens. Personally IMO it is essential to upgrade any home routers for one with 3g/4g failover backup as disabling a cable/telephone line via a pair of snips is a 2 second job in most cases.

For folks that are interested in internet based security, IFTTT and Stringify work with lots of devices such as Arlo, Canary, Ring and many more meaning you can link devices to do things when triggered by outside motion, eg send texts, call phones, turn on lights/alarms BUT I agree the two must haves are upgrade all locks on doors and windows and a burglar alarm you can arm at night, without those 2 I don't think I would sleep that well at night with or without a nice car on the drive.

cadmunkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cadmunkey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Timbartlett wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:00 pm
No mate, bottom of an new build estate tucked away at the end of cul-de-sac, zero through road. Literally couldn’t be further away from the main road leading me to think it’s a stolen to order sort of thing, maybe seen it in the local area. 4 days means I’m either very very very unlucky or they have been watching. Can see a few nervous nights on the horizon.
Exactly the same as me too, end of a culdesac and they came for mine, weird isn't it. Definitely, someone tipping them off about these cars.

paz325
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by paz325 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 pm

BobS61 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:08 am
rydale13 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 am
Same advice I give to everyone.

Disklok is the most cost effective deterrent

3-star locks are the most cost effective preventative fix.

Edit: Removing and replacing a disklok twice a day would be far less of a pain than constantly shuffling around cars

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Stop Lock Pro is even more cost effective than the Disklok and both are Thatcham approved.
I just looked into the Stop Lok Pro, I was thinking about a Disklok but this seems to be the one I am going to go for so thanks for that.
M140i - 2017 5dr Auto

Bigdavep
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bigdavep » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm

I got rid of my M135i least year due to unwanted attention. Got a F56 Mini JCW in its place and on Monday afternoon chased 2 lads off my drive that were trying the door handles on the car and tried the front door. No car is safe really especially something with a bit of go. I'm Bury too
F21 in AW with Coral leather, Auto box, Adaptive suspension, Business Nav and Speakers, Driver comfort, Sun protection and Black Panel

Gone : Frozen White Ford Focus ST250 with CP280

SO8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by SO8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:38 pm

For once I am glad I live in London !!

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm

I’m pretty much in East London. I have a stainless steel pull up bollard and a Ring door bell. Touch wood, no issues.

By the way, I think the Ring door bell is way better than CCTV because it tells you the second anyone comes on you land no matter where you are in the world and it is recorded. Within in a few seconds that footage and be sent to the police.

Glad all was well in the end.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

Timbartlett

Post by Timbartlett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Paul CS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm
I’m pretty much in East London. I have a stainless steel pull up bollard and a Ring door bell. Touch wood, no issues.

By the way, I think the Ring door bell is way better than CCTV because it tells you the second anyone comes on you land no matter where you are in the world and it is recorded. Within in a few seconds that footage and be sent to the police.

Glad all was well in the end.

Paul
Paul mate, can I ask how much the bollard cost you? I’ve been looking into them but the ones that lay flat, obviously the pull out ones are better but would probably need a pro to fit it?

SimonRob

Post by SimonRob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Sorry to hear this mate!

Does anyone know what to look for on the locks? Mine have one star above a little heart, does that mean mine are sh*t?

If so, do I just take it out of the door, measure and order a new one? Assuming they are all the same fitment just different lengths

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 pm

SimonRob wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm
Sorry to hear this mate!

Does anyone know what to look for on the locks? Mine have one star above a little heart, does that mean mine are sh*t?

If so, do I just take it out of the door, measure and order a new one? Assuming they are all the same fitment just different lengths
1 star locks like yours can be improved to the equivalent of 3 star security with suitable 2 star handles so they're certainly better than el cheapo no name cylinders you get free with a door, but from what I understand without the 2 star handles they're usually still susceptible to being snapped which is the way most are attacked.

If you want to upgrade then yeh, just open the door, undo the screw in the door shut that holds the cylinder into the door then turn the key a bit and withdraw the cylinder from the door, takes 2 minutes. Have a read of this on how to measure up properly..
http://www.upgrademylock.com/upgrade-my-lock/how/

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”