Garage - used for a car
42%

Total votes: 93

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Houses with garages

Post by glen8 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 am

We live in a new build and our garage has been built at such an angle, it's almost impossible to get a car in. Took them to court over it and got a nice 10k payout. Car sits on the drive, which to be honest......it would have done anyway.

BillTheButcher
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BillTheButcher » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 am

Johnnyo wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 pm
Given all of these thefts (knowledge of which is heightened by the internet and forums such as these, social media etc.) and attempted thefts, how many people actually use their garages if they have them? Or are they just used to store crap..

Admittedly new houses generally have tiny garages, the Mlites aren't big cars and should fit okay...
Mine's a new build. The garage entrance is the narrowest point because of the door frame. The 140 fits through with a couple of centimetres' clearance each side. Once inside, with a bit of careful positioning, it's possible to get in and out without any issues.
.Griff. wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 pm
Purchased a newbuild last May. One of the deciding factors, amongst others, was the provision of a garage.

The car gets put away in it religiously. It's only ever on the driveway when it's being washed. Otherwise, it's locked away or being used.
Same here. :)
McTrucky wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:40 pm
My old man converted his garage to a workshop, and as a result started parking the car on the drive instead of in the garage, his insurance cost went down. On clarifying why, it was said that there are a huge amount of claims from minor dings to doors, or hitting things when squeezing in to garages, that just didn't happen to cars parked on drives. May be car related though, and more stolen cars may be more cheaply insured when kept inside.... Also may be location sensitive; he was in rural Scotlandshire.
When I've queried the increase with various insurance companies over the years they've always told me that the main reason is that thieves can work on a car undisturbed if it's inside a garage. I thought they were joking. I also thought that this increased risk would be offset by the decreased likelihood of the would-be thieves knowing about the car in the first place. Apparently not.

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:00 am

Just renewed my insurance, and asked about the garage/driveway/Street thing, and they said garage is 10% discount over driveway which is discounted over Street. So I don’t know whether this ‘new’ data being presented that garage is more expensive is being misreported by posters, or that it is by insurance company only.

My m lite stay safely tucked away in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

BillTheButcher
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BillTheButcher » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:00 am
Just renewed my insurance, and asked about the garage/driveway/Street thing, and they said garage is 10% discount over driveway which is discounted over Street. So I don’t know whether this ‘new’ data being presented that garage is more expensive is being misreported by posters, or that it is by insurance company only.

My m lite stay safely tucked away in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would I (and others) be misreporting it? :| I've used four different insurance companies over the last ten years (the time that I've had access to a garage). They've all quoted increased premiums for a garaged car over one parked on the drive or street, for the reason I stated.

jan_tekin
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by jan_tekin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Used to park it in the garage at my last place, that was only because someone managed to brake in and stripped my wheel air bag and Pro Nav from my car. Cost 10k to put right. Don’t know how the gain access as it was looked, two one series got there steering wheels and airbags nicked that night.
Now I’ve move and have a garage still but gone back to leaving it on the drive.
LCI M135i AW with Coral, Auto, Media Pro, HK, Adaptive LEDs, TMC + BCS Sports cat for a bit more :shock:

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:26 pm

There are some really funny things with insurance - when I changed from "social, domestic and pleasure, plus commute to and from permanent place of work" to add "Business Use" my premium also went down. How on earth that worked I have no idea; but ever since I have always added on Business Use (which I do actually need a few times a year).
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

Jonhoe
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jonhoe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Had a garage, converted it, extended it and turned it into a rental property.

As there’s no option for that I’ll put sat on the drive 😂
M135i, EB, auto + toys

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”