Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Criticism of M140i/M240i "above 8/10ths"

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Neil b wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:18 pm
Bp I’ve a 140 and want to improve the handling of my car don’t want to send any more than
£1000 what would be your recommendation for that kind of money I ask as you have a vast experience with this model 135 etc ps I’ve passive suspension
Neil

OEM V underbody brace is a must.

Either

- H&R -15mm springs, rear bumpstops with bilstein b6 or Koni yellows or

- eibachs pro line / bilstein spring damper combo ie b12 proline or Motech eibachs springs cw bilstein b6/8 dampers.

Call Mike at Motech he might be able to do you a deal.

BP
Last edited by Blind Pugh on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Peter9588 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Who are all these racing drivers driving flat out on public roads?

Not stable past 8/10ths? What a nonsense.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon, Electric Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Headlights

bigfellas_dad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bigfellas_dad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:43 am

personally i think the car lacks the handling to go above 8/10s but overall its an impressive car. No other 'hot hatch' feels as good to drive, they have no where near the feel good factor as the Mx40i, no wear near the jackal and hide ability of the car.

Its only negative for me is indeed the handling, only tonight i had to go to the office at 11pm, empty country roads, damp mostly and with the very impressive Nokian winter tyres I had an absolute ball. No need to rev the car out as that torque is everywhere. I do feel a b12 bilstien kit would be all that's required to get the chassis to complete the package.

the next few months and ill have that sorted.
bmw M140i Shadow Edition Auto/MG/COG/BLACK and Honda CBR1000RR fireblade for when i want to go REALLY fast!
bmw 330i E90 SE
loads of company cars
7 Impreza STi's and 2 Lexus Soarers

bigfellas_dad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bigfellas_dad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:47 am

Peter9588 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

its not a case of this, its more that without total trust in the chassis the times you do get to press on you have that niggle at the back of your mind that all is not to be trusted.
Compare the Mx40i to the impreza's, they had all the chassis once a few tweaks where made and always seemed under powered even with 350bhp tunes. Those cars where fantastic fun to drive when the opportunity arose. The Mx40i, not so much
bmw M140i Shadow Edition Auto/MG/COG/BLACK and Honda CBR1000RR fireblade for when i want to go REALLY fast!
bmw 330i E90 SE
loads of company cars
7 Impreza STi's and 2 Lexus Soarers

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:59 am

It’s all subjective and maybe there are big differences from 240 to 140 but I never lack trust or confidence when pushing on in mine, it’s as good as any other quick performance car I’ve had in the past.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:37 am

This isn't all about driving at high speed and pushing the car too far, it's about how it feels and sense of occasion. The car feels very solid and refined, twitchy at the back in the damp but that's a good thing.

I had a Cayman 2.9 before the m240i, and despite being 70bhp down it was a lot more fun to drive. That shouldnt be much of a surprise, but the gap is larger than expected. The steering is a million miles off, and the engine just lacks good sound compared to a porsche flat 6. Of course, the m240i does the day to day stuff better so it's a compromise.

As for my comment on JB4s, if you sort the rest of the car then I get why you might go seeking more power. It's just all these guys who put them on without other changes, so that they can boast on the internet about beating c63's etc.

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:09 am

No offence intended but anyone who thinks the Mlite has a great chassis from the factory needs to get out a bit more.

As a very fast, practical gt car it's unsurpassed, but as a drivers car that rewards, gives great feedback and inspires confidence the faster you go it's a bit of a letdown.

Adding a tuning box just makes things worse.

It's nothing to do with how much BHP you have, it's about matching the power to the chassis.

Some great cars I've owned or driven over the years -

Citroen ZX 16v
Peugeot 306 Gti-6
Mini Cooper S
Mini Cooper S JCW
Renault Clio 182
Seat Leon Cupra
Subaru Impreza
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

SOL111
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SOL111 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:25 am

I'm no driving god by any means so won't ever push my car to anything remotely approaching 8/10ths of its capabilities.

For my purposes the car is generally awesome but the passive suspension set up feels floaty at speed and doesn't seem to deal with undulating surfaces too well. A bit of a shame as I would like the confidence to push on sometimes.

Trouble is, I have no interest in modifying so am a bit stuck.

AJRFulton
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by AJRFulton » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:34 am

It is what it is. A very quick hot hatch that puts a small tick in every box - I still don't think there is anything else in the class that's as good an all rounder as the M135/140. It isn't a focussed car though, don't be under any illusion. If you want that, there are better options out there.

Before this I had a 370Z, and apart from reliability, the main reason I got rid of it was it was so uncomfortable over a b-road.

Put simply BMW couldn't make the M135 too good, as well, they've M3's and what to sell. They made a fine car in the M135i, but something that is still far enough off a full M car to make the premium seem worth it.

In quick but sensible driving, I've never found the chassis to be that bad, but it definitely is more at home on A roads as opposed to tight B roads.
'14 M135i Auto

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 am

Peter9588 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

I know what you mean mate.

I think the phrase 8/10ths was used by Joe Achilles sometime ago and has since been used out of context for a while now.

I think he was referring to a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is the comfy cruiser and 10 is the car with more control and grip. The mlite I think he thought was a 1-7 or 8 car (8/10ths)he did compare it to an M2 but I wont as that will start another direction, but its no A-Class AMG when it comes to country lanes, the a-class however is a harsher ride more shouty etc inside and out so therefore that would be a 3-10 as it doesn't do the comfy so good. It wasn't about driving the car as fast as it will go, I didn't think. More about balance to power.

The mlite for me on a wet country lane could be a bit of a handful and at times if I am honest did things that I didn't expect even at low speeds on wet/damp roundabouts, great fun and i loved it but it meant you did have to ease off earlier than the S3, A-class AMG, Focus RS etc even at speed limits. Me I just see the mlite for what it is and not really a in your face hot hatch rival, if anyone who buys an mlite wanting uber sharp handling and traction you've purchased the wrong car.

My advice to anyone who hasn't driven a Focus RS Mk3 or Golf R etc go and have a go, they give super confidence in conditions I would be driving my M135i like a granny..........Still rather an mlite but they do expose the mlites lack of grip in comparison.

Stueys

Post by Stueys » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 am

I'd agree with the comments, I had a Cayman S previously, similar straight line performance but the Cayman was significantly easier to drive faster as it felt more controlled and more confidence inspiring. The M240i feels as if it's fighting to get traction down and feels a bit at sea on anything over than a smooth road. I always felt that the Cayman could have handled more power, I certainly not hankering for more power in the M-lite.

Having said that the M-Lite wasn't far from half the price of the Cayman S and has lots of character, I looked at a golf R in parallel and no doubt it would be faster on UK roads but I'm glad I got the M-Lite. I've never modified a car before but on this one I'm probably going to have a go at improving the handling.

RJW_1989
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RJW_1989 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 am

i dont really understand all this talk tbh ? i might be missing something but .... to me , my 140 is a mini GT mile muncher and its by far the best car iv had for that , 150 mile round trip yesterday achieved me 45.7mpg during that time i had absolutely no trouble at all safely completing a 3 wagon over take on national speed limit road .... heated seats on , coffee in hand while listening to a podcast . zero drama. ill concede that in the twisty bumpy stuff mine isnt great but i have the worst set up you can imagine ... passive with runflats and an empty boot, but that doesnt matter when your doing what the car was intended for does it? its a very fast GT car in my opinion. the tires are too narrow and mine are defo too hard but as i say, on the motorway at 80 mph for 3 hours or so you wont notice that. adding more power isnt the be all and end all , i live in the back arse of nowhere and if i wanted to get around all our twisty lanes etc quickly i would take the mrs mini cooper S and have a blast doing it too and its only 189 bhp.... but ask me to go to inverness on a 6 hour drive im taking the 140 all day long , its horses for courses but to expect a 30 odd grand motor to do what a cayman can do aswell as what a golf R can do is asking a bit much in my opinion?

Jonnybravo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Jonnybravo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:00 am

coilvers, m4 lca and ts and good geo setup sort the car right out!
M140i SE: BBS CH-R Wheels, KW V2 coilovers, M4 LCA + TS, subframe inserts, BMW LSD, JB4 + FF & EWG wires, BMS meth kit, 3.5" exhaust + decat, Maxton splitter, side blades, M foils, carbon spoiler, carbon500 alcantara steering & M2 paddles

clarkeysntfc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by clarkeysntfc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:18 am

Fitzy2008 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:24 pm
There must be some driving gods on this site!
Quite agree.

Frankly if anyone below the driving talent of Chris Harris is driving one of these cars above 8/10th on the public road, I'd appreciate if they can let me know in advance so I can avoid the local area.
M140i Shadow Edition. Sport Auto. Mineral Grey. Adaptive Suspension. Adaptive LED Lights. Electric Seats. Heated Seats. Front PDC. Pro Media.
Thanks TRL :-)

fufty1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fufty1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 am

It would probably cost about £4k to sort most of the issues out like adding the lsd and better springs etc.

The ride isn't great when pushing on, better in the 2 series of course but not that much better. Still rolls about a lot which is a bit unnerving.

But IMO, for the money, you can't beat it. The slight nervousness that comes about when you floor it around a corner wondering will the back end catch you out or not is still far better that the boring 4 wheel drive golf r.

You clearly aren't going to buy this as a track car, but for something that can carry kids around and also be pretty fun when you need it to be. It is perfect.
Current: M240i manual EB with cognac.
Gone: m135i auto MG

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”