Focus RS: Competition for M2 and RS3???

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Glund91
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Focus RS: Competition for M2 and RS3???

Post by Glund91 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Sorry if this has been brought up before and the article is pretty old now, but how on earth do people think the Focus RS is in direct competition for the BMW M2 and Audi RS3??

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-review ... s-audi-rs3

Even funnier actually now with a lot of Focus RS owners complaining about engine issues and underpowered units.
M140i Shadow in SO w/ MPE

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Focus RS: Competition for M2 and RS3???

Post by Kerr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Massively overhyped car.

It did take a while for people to realise how slow they are and how unreliable they are. Since then all the hype has died a death.

Magazines always like to promote Ford and VAG hard.

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm

I was given an RS on an extended test drive, I took it back after 20 mins as I knew it wasn't for me.
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

Glund91
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Glund91 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 pm

On that article the Focus came in first place above the other two... Absolutely ridiculous.

I very nearly bought one instead of my M140i and now after all the stuff about how poor they are I feel I have dodged a bullet.

Everyone said they were holding there value as on Autotrader they were on for list price, but nobody ever told you that the ones for list price never sold and had been there for months.

Sam_M
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam_M » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:01 pm

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1724 ... discovered

Interesting article on the headgasket issues.

The drivetrains overheat too. The rear diff doesn't like being used too much.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Glund91 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 pm
I very nearly bought one instead of my M140i and now after all the stuff about how poor they are I feel I have dodged a bullet.
Same here. I spent some time looking at them, but the more I looked into them I saw more and more people having to have new engines under warranty due to blown heads. I'd be worried if I bought a second hand one out of warranty that didn't have the replacement engine.

Also due to fitting the engine and 4x4 system in, they mounted it so that it hinders the turning circle. Best way to embarrass an RS owner is have them drive round a mini-roundabout and watch them having to reverse to make the turn ;)

Watching one rattling the driver around on the motorway on it's stiff suspension made me decide the M140 was the car to go for.

Scooby Jay
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Scooby Jay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm not a lover of the Focus RS to be honest but 0.1 of a second slower round a track than a lighter car with more power and torque and a DCT gearbox to me says it compares quite well, especially considering the price difference, obviously the ford won't be anywhere near as "premium" in the fit or finish departments and you'll also have to keep a bottle of coolant in the boot for when it starts to exit through the head gasket. As for the RS3 i don't think i've ever seen a review for one of these that was very positive in fact i think i remember a shoot out film at the time that put the Golf R ahead of it.
M135i / alpine white / coral red / auto / pro nav / adaptive / HK audio / electric heated seats / privacy glass / black panel :)

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm

I was the same, was on the verge of buying one but then common sense hit me when I realised I was spending £36k on a Ford - my previous almost new Focus ST was riddled with reliability issues as well as RUST after just 25k miles and 2 years old.

When I see an RS now they just look bland and dull.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Glund91
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Glund91 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Have to say though I loved my Fiesta ST, and it wasn't until I moved into a Cooper S that I realised just how good the Fiesta was. I am going to look at the new one whenever it is in show rooms and funds allowing might buy one as a daily, and if not then it potentially might be a cheap alternative to my M140i. I don't do much mileage and it is thirsty as hell so I am paying out of my arse to not do many miles.

Shins
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shins » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:23 pm

I've always been a lover of theFocus RS.
Had the MK1, wished I had, had the MK2 and as far as the MK3 is concerned, they are supposed to be awesome on track. If I had one, that's where it would spend most of its time!
BMW M135i F21 with BCS Exhaust, BCS HFC, AFE Air Scoop with Drop In Filter & JB4.

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Glund91 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 pm
Have to say though I loved my Fiesta ST
I came from a Fiesta ST and I still occasionally miss it when on the back roads.

A massively overloooked car as some see it as an 'entry level' hot hatch, but it's got a cracking chassis and handles brilliantly out of the box. I put a CP2 map on mine (up to around 230 bhp) and it really flew. The M140 obviously blows it away from a power perspective, but the ST was more about screaming round tight twisty roads where it can keep up with the best of them. I only moved away as I wanted something more able to cruise on the motorway with better comfort and frills, although it had possibly the best heated seats I've ever had in a car and great heated windscreen (really miss that at this time of year).

Glund91
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Glund91 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:25 pm

I've had three fords and can vouch for the heated windscreen. And I know what you mean about the seats as well. Two settings - one of which being akin to sitting on molten lava.

On that topic can't help but find the heated seats in my M140i disappointing. It's the same with heated wheel, takes ages to get to a decent level of warmth.

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 am

I regularly do track days with a friend with an RS.

His first one blew its engine and was off the road for a long time waiting for replacement. When that was fitted it failed on his drive home so probably a fitting error. Eventually ford gave him a new car but the new one has had problems too, he’s not a fan of it anymore although he did briefly like it a lot.

Lap time wise (we are similar driving standard) his mountune tuned car did 1:26.6 at Bedford West and my completely stock PWG M135 did 1:27.0.
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:22 am

This is a BMW forum, so obviously the responses are going to be biased. I know a few people with an RS - but they also have a number of other AMGs, HSVs etc.

They appreciate the RS for what it is.

It's not the car for me, but it definitely is superior in some aspects.
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Jcarr18322
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jcarr18322 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:22 am

I owned and loved the MK2 for a few years. I always wished I'd kept it, even in my 240i. Really missed it right up until I bonded with the M2 - it feels more special than my MK2 did.

As for the MK3, technologically it on paper looks like a great car. 5 doors and styling put me off before I even test drove 1. Logical of ford with the 5 door shell but an RS should have always been a 3 door in my eyes. The MK2's are still desirable if somewhat looking old in the styling area. Both good cars for different reasons, the MK3 just doesn't float my boat - never has. Saw the MK2 and knew I wanted 1, saw the M2 knew I wanted 1. Only 2 cars I knew I wanted before driving any of them.
Current
M2 LCI DCT
Gone
240i
135i
123D
E92 M3
Focus RS Mk2
Focus ST 3

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”