Not running in new M140i paranoia!

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

agm2992mga
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by agm2992mga » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Have put just over 500 miles on my new M140i Shadow by now.

My dealer assured me there was no need whatsoever to drive it "anything other than normally immediately from point of collection to avoid developing any flat spots in the engine"

I haven't been completely AWOL with the motor so far by any means; however, I have had some fun accelerating hard, including beyond 4.5k revs, a handful of times.

Whereas elsewhere online I read keeping below 6.5k revs is acceptable.

In summary, crux of this is that doing some more reading around this age old topic has now left me slightly paranoid..
Hoping to not have done anything to the detriment of new pride and joy..!

It's got me thinking what difference should be discernible after a correct run in?
Is it supposed to be smoother getting to and staying at that higher rev band?
Also will it benefit in first gear, which so far in comparison to 2nd, 3rd etc. seems slightly sluggish / not so polished and refined in accelerating?

Appreciate advice. Cheers
M140i Shadow F21 - Manual - Estoril

barneym140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Not running in new M140i paranoia!

Post by barneym140i » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Drove mine hard after 500 miles, always have run engines in relatively quick, never had issues with oil consumption or mpg, wouldnt worry massively about it as long as you get heat into engine and keep the revs going up and down the range, dont labour it in high gears low revs

Simon Site Manager
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Simon Site Manager » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Do BMW recommend the revs/run-in distance for fun?

i531m
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by i531m » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Thought bmw said in the handbook under 4.5k for 1200 miles

CharlesM505
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CharlesM505 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Ultimately, the necessity of this will always be argued. I say it is just 1,200 miles so why risk not allowing your engine to reach its best. People often forget that running in helps bed in other components along the drivetrain and scrub the brakes and tyres. The full 1,200 is not needed for brakes and tyres however, just don’t go screeching out the dealer.

As Barney says, one of the most important factors is having a warm engine regardless of choosing to run in or not

jassi
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by jassi » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:55 pm

I think "just drive normally" isn't bad advice, but definition of normal is different for every driver ;-) hence BMW has a proper recommendation on keeping below certain revs for a specified distance in the drivers manual. In addition, varying the revs and not labouring too low or hanging on certain revs for too long is a good idea.
If running in was a myth, it wouldn't be mentioned in the BMW drivers manual. I'd do as per manufacturer's guidance at a minimum!
Aussie M140i 5 door with mpe and underbody brace, warranty friendly
Aussie NZ M135i/M140i/M235i/M240i Owners Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Steven1077
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Steven1077 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Salesman don't have a clue about anything on the cars they sell, i would go by the book, even the tyres and brakes need to be broken in for a few hundred miles
Drives F22 M240i SO Auto
Previous F30 335d, F32 435i, F21 M135i F22 M235i, F30 340i

Simon Site Manager
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Simon Site Manager » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:47 am

Steven1077 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:04 pm
Salesman don't have a clue about anything on the cars they sell, i would go by the book, even the tyres and brakes need to be broken in for a few hundred miles
When I picked up my 140, the salesman started to give me a demo; he said, 'you guys always know more about the cars than us'. And he was right.

Paul CS
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Paul CS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:40 am

Here we go again.

Please have a look at the FAQs that covers running in.

It’s amazing how people’s beliefs are inversely proportionate to the facts.

Professional Engineers don’t make up running in periods for fun. Also don’t forget it’s not just the engine that needs to bed in.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 am

Duplicate
Last edited by Paul CS on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 am

Triplicate! Crapatalk!

agm2992mga
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by agm2992mga » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am

Thanks for replies.

And Paul, I appreciate where you're coming from.
Forgive me though as my point is that the FAQs you recommend and other prevalent resources are precisely what I have now read - I have just found the research a week or so too late after owning and driving a while! rather than beforehand in the run up to getting my new car.

I had gone by the salesman's rather blasé reassurance before but now resolve to follow the instructions I've come across more closely now.

I am still unclear as to what benefits running in brings + what difference the driver will feel after 1200 miles
vs
the negative effects someone not running in at all may encounter
- is anyone able to enlighten me a bit on this?

Cheers
M140i Shadow F21 - Manual - Estoril

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:28 am

Paul CS wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 am
Triplicate! Crapatalk!
Maybe, but this is a forum, for discussion, not a Wikipedia page. And this new thread on an old subject did have a slightly different angle. "Drive it normally...". If you drive an mlite normally, as in drive like normal traffic, then that would be a perfect way to.run the car in as these things are understressed at normal driving. Drive it like your hair is on fire, less ideal.

Every morning I am ever so gentle with a cold engine, but it is still easily fast enough to make more progress than the average commuter.

So to OP, don't stress about it. Try not to bury the needle in the red. Don't let it labour. Give it a thousand miles (or two) before your first track day..

On the first gear question.... Not sure, mine is an auto, but at 7000 miles I am sure throttle is much smoother than when new. I use eco pro daily now, where as a few months ago it was horrendous. Maybe it is just me that is learning to be smooth with the power when all my previous cars did not need that finesse as they only had half the power.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 am

McTrucky wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:28 am
Paul CS wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 am
Triplicate! Crapatalk!
Maybe, but this is a forum, for discussion, not a Wikipedia page. And this new thread on an old subject did have a slightly different angle. "Drive it normally...". If you drive an mlite normally, as in drive like normal traffic, then that would be a perfect way to.run the car in as these things are understressed at normal driving. Drive it like your hair is on fire, less ideal.

Every morning I am ever so gentle with a cold engine, but it is still easily fast enough to make more progress than the average commuter.

So to OP, don't stress about it. Try not to bury the needle in the red. Don't let it labour. Give it a thousand miles (or two) before your first track day..

On the first gear question.... Not sure, mine is an auto, but at 7000 miles I am sure throttle is much smoother than when new. I use eco pro daily now, where as a few months ago it was horrendous. Maybe it is just me that is learning to be smooth with the power when all my previous cars did not need that finesse as they only had half the power.
I think he was referring to the fact that tapatalk had reposted his post three times..
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 am

agm2992mga wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am

I am still unclear as to what benefits running in brings + what difference the driver will feel after 1200 miles
vs
the negative effects someone not running in at all may encounter
- is anyone able to enlighten me a bit on this?

Cheers
Nobody knows..... That is why these questions have a hundred different answers.
If the car NEEDS running in, not doing it will cause damage to internal bearing surfaces, leading to less power, more vibration, more oil consumption and shorter engine life. But each mass-produced engine is different and sometimes one engine will benefit from running in, and the next one off the production line will have slightly different tolerances will not need it. Think about a blue printed race engine, very little running in is required, then think about an old 1950s engine, when tolerances were measured in beer mats and adjusted with hammers. Careful running in is required to gently mate all surfaces.

Bottom line is running in will not harm anything. The opposite is not always true.

For your next question can I suggest asking about service intervals?
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”