Bilstein B12 questions

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Bilstein B12 questions

Post by NISFAN » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Goon wrote:Just driven my 240 with the B12 kit now fitted and as someone above remarked you do not realise how bad the standard BMW set up is. Not had a chance to give it loads on corners yet but very impressed with the comfort on crap roads. Booting it from a standstill it had no rear squat and squirming from side to side, just good grip and composure. It is a big improvement and just wondering how it stacks up against the adaptive system.
The adaptive system gives a slightly broader range of options over the passive, but ultimately it’s still cheap crap that doesn’t belong on a BMW. You have a significantly better system as you will enjoy finding out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Goon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Went for a fast blast over mountain road yesterday and it's vastly improved didn't even see the traction control light come on. On slow badly surfaced urban roads it now thumps and thuds where before it would bang and crash, if you understand what I mean.

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Goon wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm
Went for a fast blast over mountain road yesterday and it's vastly improved didn't even see the traction control light come on. On slow badly surfaced urban roads it now thumps and thuds where before it would bang and crash, if you understand what I mean.
Thanks for the feedback, and your previous comment on less squatting and squirming under hard acceleration, that is one of my pet hates. I definitely need to get some, but apparently there is a shortage of dampers for the kit I have been told and they are on back order.

How do you find the ride height compared to standard? Hopefully not much lower...

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Goon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:49 pm

zabba1 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:42 pm
Goon wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm
Thanks for the feedback, and your previous comment on less squatting and squirming under hard acceleration, that is one of my pet hates. I definitely need to get some, but apparently there is a shortage of dampers for the kit I have been told and they are on back order.

How do you find the ride height compared to standard? Hopefully not much lower...
Ride height on mine not visibly noticable, just measured it compared to standard and it was down 1/4" at most.

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Great, thanks

DanT

Bilstein B12 questions

Post by DanT » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello All,

Ive recently had Motech fit basically the B12 kit to my M135i using their Eibach springs that drop 25/20mm. From what Mike said I was one of the first to have this combination fitted.

Since fitting I have done about 1300 miles now and I have to say I am impressed. The floaty rear I hear some guys mention has pretty much disappeared. With regards to better handling, yes I can confirm it is better. The standard car does have a great level of grip, but getting there, the car used to feel a little unsure in itself if that makes sense. With this kit fitted, that problem is gone. Change of direction the car is a lot more sure of itself, less body roll helps I guess, being a little lower etc etc.

With regard to comfort, this kit has literally no increase in harshness in any situation compared to standard. It is as you would expect significantly better damped, bumps I used to feel on roads with the car standard are ironed out better with this kit, much more controlled, firm but a comfortable firm if that makes sense.

With regard to alignment, I would recommend getting this done after 1000 miles, I did. Previously my car was aligned on a hunter alignment rig to factory specification, this was late march this year. After the 1000 miles and no knocks or bumps between the first alignment and the second, it did need doing again. I expected this to be case anyway and would have had it checked either way.

Everything went back to standard specification, previously I had camber of negative 32 minutes front passenger side and negative 41 minutes front driver side. After the recent alignment I now have negative 1degree and 8 minutes front passenger side and negative 1degree and 1 minute front driver side. The second alignment I should point out was done on the same hunter alignment rig as the first and was happy to see the extra camber, although some would argue it isn't enough to iron out the sidewall wear/give the best increase in handling, but I'm still happy to see over 1 degree on each corner. Everything else went back fine. No extra on the rear, about negative 1degree and 40 minutes each side.

Just thought id share that for anyone who's interested.

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Good feedback thanks, and useful comments on the geo set up. I think the motech springs are a bit low for me. How much was it to supply and fit with them? Might ask of they can do the standard eibach springs.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”