Delay on M140i

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Paradroid888

Re: Delay on M140i

Post by Paradroid888 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 pm

How are people getting on? Has anyone got their car yet?

Like you @NL-Mike, I'm not happy about getting a repaired car. I now have confirmation that it's not been written off, but no details on what (if any) repairs are necessary. I've made it clear I want to know the full details or I'm not accepting the car.

Maybe it's my current mood, but I have considered cancelling. Not sure where I stand on a PCH though.

Pellepirat

Post by Pellepirat » Fri May 18, 2018 6:11 am

I think NL-Mike will get his this Monday 22/5. He is waiting for a "medium" car.

I´m waiting for my car due to the sandstorm. Build week 11 , I will probably get it in 2 weeks after hard investigation by the transport company…as BMW called it. I´m from Sweden so my car is placed in Halmstad harbor. Status is "medium" on mine.

I order mine 22/12 ! Somedays I want to cancel my order...but I give it 1-2 weeks more.

NL-Mike
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by NL-Mike » Fri May 18, 2018 9:37 am

Yep as Pellepirat mentioned I'm picking mine up next Tuesday from Tony. To be fair Tony has been extremely helpful and tried to keep me updated as much as he could but still no info from BMW or the company that inspected the car about what exactly was wrong with it.

I've been informed it's either been sent back because its damaged or its just different grades of 'dirty' and all cars basically get all their ducts and vents cleaned out with air and then a valet.

Technically I'm sure it'll be fine, it's 'just' sand and people drive these cars everywhere, even in Dubai. With filters checked or replaced and visual inspection of brakes etc I think that's acceptable but I'll be bringing a flashlight and paint thickness gauge to inspect the paintwork!

I'll let you know how things get on next week, but hopefully it'll be just a nice first drive along the coast and through the Brecon Beacons!

Motherfluffa
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Motherfluffa » Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 am

My replacement order arrived in the UK today waiting on an updated delivery when it gets to PDI. To give you an idea of some of the damage caused by it my dealer showed me an x1 they got up that had slipped through and the alloys sills and passenger side wheel arch had visible rust bubbles forming where salt water had been sans blasted straight through the clear coat. Probably a more extreme example but gives you an idea about why this and others like it including my original order were scrapped.
2016 F21 120D M sport Mineral Grey with Coral Red leather, M performance brakes, HK Sound, Sun protection Glass, Full LED's, Comfort Pack.
M performance sills, spoiler with side blades and double slat grilles, and interior now fitted.

Paradroid888

Post by Paradroid888 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:35 am

Motherfluffa wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 am
My replacement order arrived in the UK today waiting on an updated delivery when it gets to PDI. To give you an idea of some of the damage caused by it my dealer showed me an x1 they got up that had slipped through and the alloys sills and passenger side wheel arch had visible rust bubbles forming where salt water had been sans blasted straight through the clear coat. Probably a more extreme example but gives you an idea about why this and others like it including my original order were scrapped.
Wow :shock: :shock:

I was thinking (as others have said above) that a bit of sand isn't going to be overly dangerous to these cars, after all some environments have lots of it, but that does clear up the sort of problems they are having to deal with on the cars that were affected. Nightmare.

NL-Mike
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by NL-Mike » Wed May 23, 2018 10:16 am

As promised a little update!

Gone over the whole car with the paint thickness gauge and torch, no panels had been resprayed and I couldn't spot any big swirls or scratches from the sand that I had expected. Not even buffer marks from a poor polish job.

Of course I don't know what it looked like before but it seemed like they've been very careful with cleaning it, especially since mine was classified as 'medium'.

I was satisfied it was OK and the first 300 miles yesterday were brilliant! Even staying under 4500 rpm the mpe popped, crackled and barked away!

Thanks again for all the help and keeping us up to date Tony!
20180523_100120-1008x756.jpg
20180523_100120-1008x756.jpg (213.79 KiB) Viewed 371 times

Paradroid888

Post by Paradroid888 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:49 am

Excellent, car looks stunning!

4th June for me, it's finally been released. Hopefully it'll be like yours. I can't imagine BMW letting something out that's not immaculate.

In other news, my missus had bought a 18-month old 330d M Sport and we get that on Friday, so plenty to look forward to.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Mr.B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mr.B » Wed May 23, 2018 3:21 pm

When you inspect the car I'd ensure it has Rock Guards fitted:

http://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 247f5f03a9

NL-Mike
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by NL-Mike » Thu May 24, 2018 10:16 am

Paradroid888 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:49 am
Excellent, car looks stunning!

4th June for me, it's finally been released. Hopefully it'll be like yours. I can't imagine BMW letting something out that's not immaculate.

In other news, my missus had bought a 18-month old 330d M Sport and we get that on Friday, so plenty to look forward to.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Thanks! It does look awesome, can't wait to give it its first wash this afternoon.

Hope yours is OK as well and enjoy the 330d in the meantime ;)

And I forgot to mention but I do have the rock guards installed, built mid March.

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 pm

M140i, Mineral Grey

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”