All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Manual’s section

Post by Mad_Mac » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Hello to all real driving experience enthusiasts :wink:
Jokes aside, I saw many ZF specific topics but nothing about manual gearbox. I was wondering how many people drive manual and if you had any “adventures” with it?
Mine went in to the dealer under warranty this morning due to scratchy noise when I was lifting clutch in 1st gear (probably clutch bearing). Anyway, I just had a call that car need to stay overnight as it requires new clutch. As my warranty expiring in 2 months I’m quite glad that I will get a new one now for free.
Did anyone experience similar issues? Is this popular?
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

baderlfc
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Manual’s section

Post by baderlfc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:21 pm

Despite what the AUC market suggests there are a fair few people out there driving the manuals, of course the huge majority are autos mind.

The auto v manual debate in these cars has been played out a million times but it comes down to personal circumstances and preference.

After test driving both, I will be ordering a manual M240i in the coming weeks..

I haven't read anything regarding clutch/gearbox issues on the manual, I'm sure people have had issues like with anythin but I believe on the whole the gearbox/clutch combo on the M-Lites is strong.

Mike Roberts
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Mike Roberts » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:23 pm

I had a manual for 3 years, and then I've had this auto for 2.5

I've had zero issues with either. I wish I'd have bought another manual, but that's just me.
M135i more-door with added Drexler win.

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Let’s not turn this into another auto vs manual discussion. I respect people choices. I almost bought auto.
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Both of my F21's have been Man-boxes, tried the Slush-box for a week's extended test drive (F20 M135i) but couldn't get on with it.

No problems so far, but I wish 6th was a tiny bit taller.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

stag74
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by stag74 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Love the direct in control nature of the manual, but as said, 6th could be higher geared. Find myself checking I'm not in 4th on the motorway sometimes!
Tempted by the M Performance replacement gear stick.
M140i 3 Door Manual

josheboss

Post by josheboss » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:51 pm

I drive an auto, however I feel disconnected with this car. Maybe a manual would fix that?

But - I have an auto M2 on order - that gearbox feels a lot different to the sluggish 8 speed

Dave-H
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dave-H » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 pm

I have a manual. I bought it because I much prefer the feel of being more involved and connected to the car. I have to be honest tho; the gearbox and clutch aren’t terribly satisfying, the gearbox is notchy and lacks a bit of feel and the clutch itself isn’t terribly forgiving so shifting smoothly takes a certain finesse. I don’t regret going for the manual but wish it was a better shift.
2016 M140i, Manual
2015 Yamaha R1

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:03 pm

It would be difficult not to agree with your comments. 6th definitely should start higher to help with economy on long motorway runs. Still I like it.

Np01
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Np01 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Pretty much the same as above, sometimes need to check what gear on motorways,also worry sometimes shifting down at speed as the gear selector feels a bit loose (probably not the best mechanical explanation, but then I’m not mechanically minded) as for the manual/auto debate, personally never got on with 2 pedals
M135i Manual, mineral/oyster, Bluespark box, carbon mirrors, MPE, carbon trim, double slat grille, HK, pro Nav, Alcantara wheel, AC roof spoiler, on MPSS, Forge Motorsport Charge Pipe

ryujinmaru

Post by ryujinmaru » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:53 pm

josheboss wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:51 pm
I drive an auto, however I feel disconnected with this car. Maybe a manual would fix that?

But - I have an auto M2 on order - that gearbox feels a lot different to the sluggish 8 speed
I spec'd my M2 from new with DCT, having come from all manual cars, and even after more than a year with it, I miss the added involvement of the manual shift. The DCT was also more jerky than I'd like (ZF is much smoother) and, like you said, there is a feeling of disconnect with the car. Unfortunately, it had recently been written off, and if I were to go for another M2, I would choose the manual.

The M2 is a great car and I will sorely miss the immediacy and its naughty exhaust note, but I needed a little more practicality, so ordered a manual M140i instead.

andyjhatton
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andyjhatton » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:56 pm

My only complaint about the manual is that the change in to 3rd can be a bit notchy.
But maybe that's just my 'box.
2015 M135i, Pre-LCI, 6MT, Adaptive, Birds ARBs & Quaife LSD, M4 LCA + TS, Bilstein B14, Goodridge lines

SOL111
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SOL111 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:04 am

I've had a couple of BMW manuals and they're ok but after a run of Hondas, no manual box ever lives up. Shame as the M140 with a Honda gearbox would be immense.

If only BMW could make something as slick as the ZF I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:19 am

Just a thought and don’t laugh. If BMW changing clutch in my car I presume the oil in the gearbox will have to be changed at the same time?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 am

Doubt it.

Definitely doesn't 'have' to be done (sealed unit lowered on Transmission Jack), and BMW consider them Sealed til Death.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”